fresh2nano20

fresh2nano20

Sorry for the bad picture,

but what is this? zoo or zoa?

is it rare? easy to take care of?

(green and red one in the left)

post-53445-1276100557_thumb.jpg

looks like a favia to me..

google search images for favia brain and see if it looks similar to the ones pictured :)

That is a favia coral, it's is not a zoa it is in the LPS genre. What time of lighting do you have?

It is not rare many colors are available but red and green are found quite often.

fresh2nano20

wow ur good!!! its favia!!! is it rare??

and one more thing. what is this?? its like yellow and green. and its really hard!

post-53445-1276100905_thumb.jpg

That would be a turbinaria :)

Neither the turbinaria nor the favia are rare, it doesn't really matter though as long as you like them in your tank.

That would be a turbinaria :)

+1

favia isnt rare at all. but many people really like them. :) usually its the orange and red stuff that people go nuts over.. but the green is nice too :)

fresh2nano20

wow! u guys are good!!!!

will turbinaria grow large?? did I put that on right place???

heard it needs lot of lighting...true?

its a slow grower and will it will grow into a cup shape or plate over time. cant hurt to have it up high :)

fresh2nano20

so where do you place favia? i was going to cut it off and place it on the rock, but it was so hard.

should i just place it on the sand??

cut it off what? the harness under the coral flesh is its structure. you should just place it in the rockwork somewhere :) dont bash it up. thats like trying to take the skin off your bones lol

fresh2nano20

as of right now, its trying to wrap around the rock that it came with, not growing onto my other live rock

if you are daring you can chisel or dremel off the part that is growing upward. but other than that i would just move it where you want it :) if it has ben doing fine down there on the sand you could leave it there too.. they arent super light needy like other corals

circusordie16

the favia needs to grow down the sides of its skeleton first before it can encrust on the neighboring rocks because it is the fleshy part that grows first. the hard, white skeleton part cannot encrust. the fleshy parts encrust first and then the skeleton grows underneath it.

and do some research on what youre buying before you buy it. look around this website and others to find articles and posts about basically everything but especially corals and how to care for them and what certain varieties look like. you should know what youre buying and its requirements before you buy it so that you dont go killing things. especially if you cant tell a favia apart from zoanthids, you need to do more research before you buy.

circusordie16

no need to apologize, didnt mean to sound harsh but it really is something that a lot of people need to do more of. not only will it help the animals, it will help you as you save money and stress from buying something that probably wont survive.

Archived