Top Shelf Aquatics

RRCG Extreme Clowns,Onyx,Nakeds, ora picasso/bnw pair

rrcg50

Nothing like daily tank scrubbing. Oh and since today was day one that made a big difference

You are more commited then I am - I just can find the time to scrub them out daily. In fact, I found it easier to do a tank transfer after meta until they are ready to go to grow out.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are more commited then I am - I just can find the time to scrub them out daily. In fact, I found it easier to do a tank transfer after meta until they are ready to go to grow out.

these are 19 days old and now in grow out. i don't have to do as much to them now but in my hatching tanks the ammonia badge starts to change if i let it go for more than 36 hours. so i don't really scrub them but i am doing 50-70% water changes on it to keep up the water quality.

Just transferred today... (next week it wont be so nice)

Looking good!!!

i agree with you 100%. next week is a whole nutter story. today nice and sparkly

these are 19 days old and now in grow out. i don't have to do as much to them now but in my hatching tanks the ammonia badge starts to change if i let it go for more than 36 hours. so i don't really scrub them but i am doing 50-70% water changes on it to keep up the water quality.

i agree with you 100%. next week is a whole nutter story. today nice and sparkly

Sounds about par for the course - I do the water changes constantly it seems like!

Sounds about par for the course - I do the water changes constantly it seems like!

i didn't have to for the longest time but now i have too many babies in the system so i try and keep on top of it, tans get a good scrubbing every 2 weeks and syphoning whenever i see a build up of crud on the bottom

Are you just syphoning with a line or did you get the vacuum from FL Aqua Farms? I was wondering if it was worth getting.

A line with rigid tubing

Heard not to waste your money on the one from florida aqua. Holes are too big and out just sucks the fry in

What day post hatch are you guys moving fry to larger tanks and to what size tank?

I'm moving them between 18 and 20 days and to a 200g system.

US Marine Coral

Hmmm that seems quick to move them. Why so quickly? Why size tank/container are you moving them to?

Hmmm that seems quick to move them. Why so quickly? Why size tank/container are you moving them to?

You want to move them around that time frame because the fry are getting bigger and they can start eating different foods. You want to be able to keep the water parameters stable so you keep your fish alive.

You want to move them around that time frame because the fry are getting bigger and they can start eating different foods. You want to be able to keep the water parameters stable so you keep your fish alive.

With larger hatches you have to feed so much the water gets dirty quick. Without secondary means for keeping the water clean it becomes to hard. Can't fit a skimmer on the ten gaskin like you can on the bigger system

^ what they said - it get's too hard to maintain water quality after that point. I used to think that misbars came from poor water quality through meta but it's through the entire development of the bars. If you leave them in the hatch / fry tanks much longer then that then you will start to see losses, more misbars and possibly even defects like flared gills.

If you are raising 10 - 20 fry it's no problem but when your hatches are larger you need to be ready to make accommodations for them earlier. Besides they are strong enough at that time to handle the transfer provided you acclimate them properly.

Edit - mine initially get about 20g of space in the larger system - but they also get a total water volume of 200+ gallons, 250lbs of LR and a good Skimmer.

US Marine Coral

I am sure its not fun catching them when they are that small. How are you transferring them?

US Marine Coral
5/8th in tubing. Suction is a wonderful thing

I thought of that but figured it would hurt the larvae. Guess I will give it a shot. thanks

US Marine Coral
they are in with some platiniums. You can spot them easily because of the eyes

Can you send me pic of your setup where you transfer babys too after you siphon then out of 10g tank?

Can you send me pic of your setup where you transfer babys too after you siphon then out of 10g tank?

actually i hatch out in a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank.

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

them swimming after the transfer. nice and happy

Archived