Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr.corals coral.

coolwaters

coolwaters

one of the frags is completely melting. =(

hopefully its the only one. when i can identify which one it is i'll make a note so maybe i can get it again on my next pack purchase.

dendro is looking very good. probably need to get rid of it though. just another mouth to feed =/

but we'll see how fast it grows.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
briansbelle

out of the frags i ordered i only lost 1(the fruit loops)..i notified sunny and he said i can add a frag of them to my next order....i thought for a while my VDMs were gonna melt but they are doing awesome!!

i too got rid of the dendro(mine came in with 6 young heads), i didnt know how to care for it properly...never had any non photo corals...

i also got rid of one chalice frag- sold those 2 frags and made my $$ back :)

the 2 faced chalice frag i still have, and its doing awesome as well....growing over the fragged areas and loves to eat..

hopefully yours comes around...also i dont have any of mine in high flow(medium at most)...they are all on the bottom of my tank under t5hos and seem to like it there, when i had them on the frag rack not many would open but since i moved them to the sand they are all doing great...

hope that helps...

belle

Back to the zoas that don't grow. Since I thought about it, I have bought 3-4 frags of toadstool and they either died or still in there shipping mode. Also some of my mushrooms are not opening except to about 1/2 inch. Yje rest look great. Again I have moved them a time or too and nothing helps. I have some flower pot, frog spawn that does real well. Once I blended some fish and shrimp to almost a milk and put a drop or two around them and that seemed to work on the heathy ones, but that stuff goes bad so quick. My T5 light were purchased in Feb or March. The water parms are good and I use RO/DI water. The entire reef is about 4 months. Thanks guys.

BTW, xenias are a no no. Want live, just fold down to the rock and stay. Had some for anout 2 1/2 months. Never pulsed but about a day. Now palys take off and go.

coolwaters
Back to the zoas that don't grow. Since I thought about it, I have bought 3-4 frags of toadstool and they either died or still in there shipping mode. Also some of my mushrooms are not opening except to about 1/2 inch. Yje rest look great. Again I have moved them a time or too and nothing helps. I have some flower pot, frog spawn that does real well. Once I blended some fish and shrimp to almost a milk and put a drop or two around them and that seemed to work on the heathy ones, but that stuff goes bad so quick. My T5 light were purchased in Feb or March. The water parms are good and I use RO/DI water. The entire reef is about 4 months. Thanks guys.

BTW, xenias are a no no. Want live, just fold down to the rock and stay. Had some for anout 2 1/2 months. Never pulsed but about a day. Now palys take off and go.

try freezing the blended stuff into ice cubes so next time just drop them in. best to add a few drops of it in a ice cube tray with water so u dont over feed.

corals dont do very good in shipping in general. try buying some coral at a LFS. iv never lost anything from that or buying it locally from other reefers.

your not blasting coral with a lot of light rigt? after shipment they are very sensitive and can get light shocked easy.

also dripping them helps. but some coral dont like it. like mushrooms.

Bump

lol usless coral forum is a ghost town...

4 melted, bare plugs. the dendro still hasn't shown its face yet. i sent it to my cousins tank where he can take care of it with some mysis. i feed mostly coral frenzy/ zooplankton/ oyster so im better suited to zoas and ric's anyway. i don't think im going to bother mrcoral, im not going to order anything else from there so having them add to another order is usless. i got way to much in the tank now. 60+ ricordea, 17 zoa colony's and quite a few zoa frags. time to frag down the colony's and get something bigger than a 20h.

a few of the zoas look really nice so im happy about them. overall very unsatisfied though. looked promising but it didn't turn out so. from the start the packaging, melting, and careless mounting, nothing was professional. half of the polyps still haven't opened.

honestly at this point im only going to keep a few and either sell the rest or give them away.

coolwaters

im just waiting for his next huge pack... my frag tank is 60% done...

graduating moving them closer to the light we'll see how they do 2morrow.

the dendro doesnt seem to be wanting to eat. the head isnt a deep cup anymore. its more flat now.

also seeing some tentacles coming out.

the dendro doesnt seem to be wanting to eat. the head isnt a deep cup anymore. its more flat now.

also seeing some tentacles coming out.

Dendros take a while to acclimate. Mine took almost 2 weeks to come to the edge of the tube then show tentacles.

coolwaters

ok 2 of my zoas frags are dead.

this is probably my last time buying zoas from anyone though.

its all rics and maybe yumas (dam their expensive...)

i might even go pure sps and rics.

cuz their doing great in my tank.

ordered a pack of deep water zoas!

6 of 8 melted and 2 of those didnt stay attached to plug. the 2 remaining are of the same frag!

was told he would make it up to me but unsure if i wanna order again as I am rather unsatisfied

i got my 20 pack last thurs. i'm still waiting on about 5 or 6 to open. i lost one zoa it just disappeared. so yeah i'm not sure what i've got left. my dendros are doing good they wanted to feed by the second night. several of the zoas opened that first day. now its just a waiting game. i know my VDM's opened up once and partically opened up since then. it my be its too bright in my tank so i turned down my light cycle to 9 hours from 12 i may go down more tomorrow. from noon to 7 pm. any ways theres pics in my sig. last page of my tank thread has most of the pics of the new stuff.

My 20 pack is coming in the mail today. What do you guys suggest for acclimation? Just temp acclimate then leave the lights off for a few hours?

coolwaters
My 20 pack is coming in the mail today. What do you guys suggest for acclimation? Just temp acclimate then leave the lights off for a few hours?

make sure the SG are the same if your going to throw them in. temp acclimate is critical. (should be the first thing)

make sure u dont leave them in the bag too long after opening. the new oxygen makes the water toxic.

i put my vdm's under a power head to limit the light they get. ill be happy if they grow any, vdm's are notorious melter's. ive had good luck with Florida ric's as well. wild caught need light for sure. mine cant get enough of my halide. the closer they are the fuller they become. only thing i dont like about rics is they look change color so much once they become established. most of my oranges turned pink, and some of my blues turned purple. now i got to find more.

coolwaters
I wonder if this needs to be moved to the sponsor feedback forum?

i was thinking about putting it there but changed my mind. i wanted this to be more of a journal on how fast they grow.

but it was more of a fight for survival in the beginning...

some updates.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

coolwaters

dumb of me...i just realized i moved some of the fully opened zoas to the other side where i gets more light

after i took pics... so what you seeing is old...

but as u can see the two lower plugs on the bottom left is almost completely gone..

chalice looks brown... they like a lot of light right?

JayEeeTeeEss

I got the a japanese zoas frag pack from them which consisted of 8 frags. I already had one of the frags, but decided to place the order because it seemed like a good deal for 7 different frags. Initially 4 opened and 4 did not. Long story short, the 7 different zoas melted and the one that I already had is the only remaining frag. I've been talking and reading about a lot of people who get livestock from mr coral that die off. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH HIS STUFF?

coolwaters
I got the a japanese zoas frag pack from them which consisted of 8 frags. I already had one of the frags, but decided to place the order because it seemed like a good deal for 7 different frags. Initially 4 opened and 4 did not. Long story short, the 7 different zoas melted and the one that I already had is the only remaining frag. I've been talking and reading about a lot of people who get livestock from mr coral that die off. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH HIS STUFF?

what everyone is assuming is that he doesnt give much time for them to heal before shipping them out.

also the individual bagging leaks a lot. filled the main bag full of water. about half a litter worth.

i probably have the highest survival rating so far. but im not out of the woods yet.

reeftankguy

All I'm going to say is my retarded brother could frag better than them... They must have a pretty hefty SuperGlue $bill$...

On the bright side... Only 2 of the 8 frags (JapPak) I got never opened and melted away (White Widows and FruitLoops) :angry: I wanted the FLoops most out of all of them!

coolwaters
All I'm going to say is my retarded brother could frag better than them... They must have a pretty hefty SuperGlue $bill$...

On the bright side... Only 2 of the 8 frags (JapPak) I got never opened and melted away (White Widows and FruitLoops) :angry: I wanted the FLoops most out of all of them!

yeah there are only a few out of the frags i really really wanted (main reason why i bought it) like the ice breaker zoas which didnt make it. hard to tell if i even got it cuz they just melted away before they opened. i could be anything...

their gluing is hit/miss and theres the epic fail... theres more glue then there is coral O.o

You know, and this is just my 2 cents, but it's really disappointing that a 20-60% mortality rate is considered even remotely acceptable in the hobby at this point. If a hobbyist was selling frags where any regularly died they'd be burned at the stake. You can afford to let corals heal for a few weeks after being fragged and still sell them cheap, it's not hard to do to make sure they actually live.

Knowingly killing tons of corals for a quick buck is about as unethical as it gets, and that is a messed up choice to make in a hobby where everyone else cares about keeping stuff alive. It's disrespectful to hobbyists, and it's disrespectful to other living things that share the planet with us. I wasn't going to chime in but those frags were chopped and shipped. And we ALL know it. Sponsor or not that is ****ed up, and this hobby's fallen a long way if them being sold cheap is a good excuse on that one.

reeftankguy
You know, and this is just my 2 cents, but it's really disappointing that a 20-60% mortality rate is considered even remotely acceptable in the hobby at this point. If a hobbyist was selling frags where any regularly died they'd be burned at the stake. You can afford to let corals heal for a few weeks after being fragged and still sell them cheap, it's not hard to do to make sure they actually live.

Knowingly killing tons of corals for a quick buck is about as unethical as it gets, and that is a messed up choice to make in a hobby where everyone else cares about keeping stuff alive. It's disrespectful to hobbyists, and it's disrespectful to other living things that share the planet with us. I wasn't going to chime in but those frags were chopped and shipped. And we ALL know it. Sponsor or not that is ****ed up, and this hobby's fallen a long way if them being sold cheap is a good excuse on that one.

Very well said Man!

After I recieved my JapPak and saw 3 frags w/plugs in each bag I knew they had to be really beat up knocking against each other, that and all the SGlue everywhere, I told myself never again will I buy from him ;)

Didnt mean to Hyjack your thread CoolWaters...

Archived