Cultivated Reef

Cheato Removal or Cheato in a Reactor?

SmithErick

SmithErick

Would there by an negative effects on my system if I removed all cheato from it? Currently it is in a tupperware container with holes drilled in it in my display. I am tired of looking at it.

Wonder if it would be possible to run cheato in a BRS reactor with the cheato in the bottom stage and carbon on top? Have a light aimed at the reactor?

Hmm thats a pretty clever idea, never thought about chaeto in a see-thru reactor canister.. If you ever try it out, please post an update, I'm interested in hearing how it worked. I think it would work.

I would tink that it would grow too much algae on the plastic sides of the reactor. Unless you want to open it up frequently to clean. Maybe find a small mag-float that fits in there to clean the plastic...?

dsoz

SmithErick

Well I am running my cheato in a small tupperware container w/lid in my display, no algae has grown in that yet besides the cheato filling it out. I thought it would be a clever idea, but wanted other opinions.

new-b-reefer
Well I am running my cheato in a small tupperware container w/lid in my display, no algae has grown in that yet besides the cheato filling it out. I thought it would be a clever idea, but wanted other opinions.

i say try it and see how it goes. i like to have chaeto in the sytem just to have another way of absorbing nutrients and helping out tank stability in a natural way. so try it and you can always take it out if it doesnt work... but you will never know unless you try ;)

• 2 months later...

As to removing the cheto. You simple not have the nutrient export provide before. The significance of this will depend on the system.

As to throwing it in a reactor. I'd say it a great idea comparable to a hang on fuge. Also if not functioning the you would like easily removed.

Archived