SaltCritters.com

chaeto light

evokid511

just wondering if chaeto needs a special light to grow? i seethe stevie t underwater lights look like just ordinary 5w light... i made a box that fits over my refrigieum but it is made out of a standard light socket using a 35 watt standard light, will this grow the chaeto or do i need a special grow light?

sorry for the noob question guys

they like 6500k bulbs also called day lights. So in short yes you can use a standard socket just search for the right bulb

they like 5600k bulbs also called day lights. So in short yes you can use a standard socket just search for the right bulb

thank you for the response, so im looking for a 5600k bulb would that be something that can be found at the hardware store or would that be a marinedepot thing?

zomg.. I think that guy meant a 6500k bulb.. because.. that would be the kelvin rating at which photosynthesis for plants is the best. And chaeto... is a plant. :D

And as for where to find the bulb... I need to find the exact same bulb you're looking for, and i couldn't find one at lowes or home depot. Maybe you can try ACE hardware, but i bought my bulb through ebay for around 7$ shipped. So i would suggest going to ebay first. Probably the best place to find the bulb.

Amphiprion1

Actually, I used 3000K lamps with great results--even better than typical 6500K lamps. That's just my experience, however. In my case, the 3000K lamps had more PAR within the absorption ranges of Chaetomorpha.

zomg.. I think that guy meant a 6500k bulb.. because.. that would be the kelvin rating at which photosynthesis for plants is the best. And chaeto... is a plant. :D

And as for where to find the bulb... I need to find the exact same bulb you're looking for, and i couldn't find one at lowes or home depot. Maybe you can try ACE hardware, but i bought my bulb through ebay for around 7$ shipped. So i would suggest going to ebay first. Probably the best place to find the bulb.

what did you search for on ebay?

nvm found it thanks

OMGZ! Hes correct I meant 6500k thank you sir but you can find the bulb at lowes or homedepot easily

OMGZ! Hes correct I meant 6500k thank you sir but you can find the bulb at lowes or homedepot easily

i will have a look tomorrow and see

I use a GE 15W 6500k daylight floodlight bulb that I got from Target for $6 that fits in a regular lightbulb socket. My chaeto quadrupled in size in just a few weeks, its crazy. Highly recommended.

Surreal Serenity

I was told the underwater 5 watt light at mediabaskets.com is all the light the chaeto would need? Is this not true then? I can't fit anything big behind my tank its an inch and a half away from the wall and moving it is impossible. I did buy a bunch of LEDs and one is a hardware light and its very very bright, but only last 5 hours before it needs to be recharged. Would that work?

I was told the underwater 5 watt light at mediabaskets.com is all the light the chaeto would need? Is this not true then? I can't fit anything big behind my tank its an inch and a half away from the wall and moving it is impossible. I did buy a bunch of LEDs and one is a hardware light and its very very bright, but only last 5 hours before it needs to be recharged. Would that work?

It depend on how big your refugium is and how much chaeto you want to grow.

5W underwater light works great for the smaller fuge. How big of an area are we lighting?

Surreal Serenity

I've got a 29 gallon oceanic biocube, and I'm thinking of using half of it for the media basket and the other half for just chaeto

• 3 weeks later...

I get my comp flourecent 6500k bulbs from home depot for mine they work great and are cheap. Of course then you need a fixture but there are plenty of choices for that also, most less than 40 bux.

I have a 24W spiral CFL over mine. It's either a 5500K or a 6500K, I can't remember. But you can find them at wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Just get the highest wattage screw in flourescent bulb that is a daylight color temp and call it good. There's no rocket science involved IMO. I got a 4 pack for like $13 at HD.

Archived