Cultivated Reef

How To Build a Refugium Out of Food Storage Containers

Weetabix7

uniseals work off a pressure lock basically. big rubber stopper with a pipe shoved down the middle. the pipe forces the stopper to expand locking it in place.

• 1 year later...
I recently embarked on a fun DIY Refugium project for my Methodology Contest Pico.

Here's how it looked when finished:

IMG_5409.jpg

I thought others might be interested in trying it, so here's my instructional on how to do it.

Unfortunately I was bad and didn't take a pic of the original container before I started cutting it up, but here's one pic that might give you an idea:

IMG_5390.jpg

It's a food storage container that I found in the Kitchen Section at Wal-Mart for $5.50.

It has a handle on one end so that you can pour stuff out of it, and the dimensions are 8.5"L x 4.5"W x 13"H.

When finished mine holds somewhere between 1 2/3 to 1 3/4g of water.

The first step is to remove the smaller pour spout from the lid, it pops off with a little force but not too much difficulty.

IMG_5379.jpg

Then you cut a hole on the side where you want your return for the spout, and use superglue to attach the spout to the container.

Cut a hole for the bulkhead on the side you want the water pumped into the Refugium. I used a 1/2" bulkhead, I think the size works better for the smaller size of this container.

Install the bulkhead using teflon tape for a nice, tight seal.

I used an elbow coming out of the bulkead and attached clear hose to that.

Then I used a Tunze 5024 Universal Mini Pump for pumping water into the Fuge-- http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant....ode=Tunze_pumps

It has adjustable flow from 39-79gph.

I may upgrade this to a MJ400, but I haven't decided yet.

Next step is to make a Filter Media Basket just behind where the water pours into the Refugium.

I used one of these for this purpose:

IMG_5382.jpg

Then I cut it so it looked like this, making sure to leave a little lip at the bottom to hold an eggcrate grate:

IMG_5377.jpg

I used superglue to attach it to the sides of the Refugium so that it formed an enclosure behind the bulkhead.

Then I cut a piece of Black Eggcrate to use as a grate for water to flow through at the bottom of the Media Basket. I found it necessary to also use 2 dabs of superglue to attach the eggcrate to the sides of the Refugium for extra support.

Here's how it looked when I was finished:

IMG_5383.jpg

Here's a topdown shot of how the inside looks with a Filter Pad in the Media Basket:

IMG_5386.jpg

Here's a pic of the whole finished Refugium:

IMG_5385.jpg

I am using one of StevieT's InTank underwater lights to light the Refugium:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-5W...ght-5WLight.htm

IMG_5388.jpg

Material Costs

Large Food Storage Pitcher from WalMart- $5.50

Pkg of 4 smaller Ziploc Food Storage Containers for Media Basket- approx. $3.00

Tunze 5024 Mini Pump- $14.66

1/2" Bulkhead- $5.00

Underwater Light from Mediabaskets.com- $13.25

Total Material Costs= $41.41

Fun & Experience of DIYing your own Food Storage Container Refugium= PRICELESS

A couple of tips--

-I started out using silicone to attach the various parts. Silicone doesn't bond to the material of the Food Storage container, possibly because it is such a slick surfaced plastic.

I ended up roughing up the plastic surfaces with sandpaper and using Superglue Gel. Worked WAY better.

Much quicker too.

-The Ziploc container I am using for the Media Basket will work fine for me, but if you want to use a couple of different types of Media you might want to get a deeper container.

-I originally planned on using the the top that the Plastic Pitcher came with as the top for the Refugium, and using the hole left by the spout that is removed to put the heater and light in through.

However, water tends to collect under the top of the lid and drip down the inside of the lid and down the outside of the Pitcher.

I am currently just using a piece of flat Plexi for the top of the Refugium.

I hope that someone finds this helpful.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Wow that was some job and really well thought out and really inexpensive too

Great job

Super work

This is just what I need. I have been scouring the net and finally found what I like. I am going to give this a try. I will keep you posted (if I succeed)! ;)

This is just what I need. I have been scouring the net and finally found what I like. I am going to give this a try. I will keep you posted (if I succeed)! ;)

Cool!

Keep in mind that silicone doesn't work cause it doesn't stick. It looked really messy where I had to seal stuff cause I had to use superglue-- maybe you could do a nicer job.

One thing I would change if I did this again would be to have the pump intake be in the middle top of the refugium and actually have 2 overflow spouts.

Just having the one overflow caused what I thought was an overly strong flow in just one spot.

Course it was for a Pico, so that was more noticeable.

gulfsurfer101

I remember looking at this and thinking wow! I'm all about DIY and I dig your skill on this little sucker, but it was always too small for anything I had going at the time. Now that I cut down to a 5.5 I think something like this is perfect. If I do attempt to rebuild this, the only thing different I might switch up would be a multi level media chamber and try a different bonding agent. Possibly weldon4 or even just acetone with needle application to get a clean look. But like I said, I really dig it and thanks for sharing with us.

I'd love to see someone come up w/a better bonding agent! If you do, please post here.

Also, these containers (as well as similar ones) come in different sizes.

Anyone trying different sized variations on the theme, feel free to post here as well.

Thanks, and YW. :happy:

gulfsurfer101

I'm stopping by my best friends house Wally Martinez on my way home today and picking me up a post toasty box. I have a small pump and intank submersible fuge light on hand so I'm more than halfway complete. Fun, fun, fun!

I'm stopping by my best friends house Wally Martinez on my way home today and picking me up a post toasty box. I have a small pump and intank submersible fuge light on hand so I'm more than halfway complete. Fun, fun, fun!

Cool, make sure to post your experiences!

I wonder about PVC bonding agent...

Jamie

This has potential..... thx!

I have a working version of the food storage container refugium. I am still working on improvements.

In my first attempt I used an old cereal container. But it was too small, the old plastic was brittle and cracked when I tried cutting it, the super glue gel or liquid did not bond the PP5 plastic, etc. In brief it was a complete failure! -_-

Undeterred, I looked up what bonding agent to use with PP5 plastic. According to my research, heat bonding is the only true bond for this material! However, some anecdotes report that 3M construction adhesive works.

I had another brand of construction adhesive in the house so I decided to give it another try. I got the same container as Weetabix7 at Walmart. It was their last one. :happy: Here are the pics of the finished work in progress.

IMAG1096_zps06494062.jpg

Notice the spout in the picture above. I attached a piece of plastic cut from a ziplock baggie with rubber bands to the spout. I burned a small notch on each side of the spout to hold the rubber bands in place. The water flows down the plastic into the tank and eliminates any splash-up completely.

IMAG1103_zps7073f0ad.jpg

The weight of the water bows out the container so I left the top on it for additional support. As you can see I used a clamp, like the one that comes with the water changing siphon kit, to hold the input hose to the refugium. I plan on eventually moving the fuge to the back of the tank and the clamp lets me adjust the location of the input hose. Also the kink in the hose restricts the flow and therefore slows the output into the display tank.

IMAG1099_zpsca555073.jpg

I used a hot iron (soldering) to burn holes into the bottom of a disposable food container and did not cut it apart.

IMAG1093_zps0cd7db06.jpg

IMAG1064_zps2ebc839b.jpg

Glued to lid.

IMAG1069_zps9d203eb9.jpg

Once I glued the spout in place I used the hot iron to cut out the opening making sure to leave enough room to snap the lid on the container.

IMAG1068_zps9cfe5a2a.jpg

I had to lift the refugium so I used an upside down food container. The original disposible container in the picture is too flimsy to take the weight of the water and started to colapse and splay out. I switched it with an old Tupperware type, rigid PP5 platic container. It is working fine and shows no signs of stress.

IMAG1071_zpsaa17b4c4.jpg

IMAG1073_zps9ac635e7.jpg

As for lighting, I use a desk lamp for now with one of my indoor plant grow lights. I ordered a submersible LED fuge light from stevieT. The Chaeto has about doubled since Saturday!

IMAG1100_zps683c96df.jpg

A little HH hermit crab has a new home!

IMAG1104_zps189c8f62.jpg

Edited by eitallent
  • Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Cool, I abandoned the idea when I couldn't find the container at two different Walmart stores but I've been on the lookout for anything that will work.

I'd love to see someone come up w/a better bonding agent! If you do, please post here.

Also, these containers (as well as similar ones) come in different sizes.

Anyone trying different sized variations on the theme, feel free to post here as well.

Thanks, and YW. :happy:

Update on the construction glue. It does not work! :mellow: I had to goop a ton of silicone around the spout to keep it secure. However I get the feeling that one good whack and it will come right off. :o That would be a disaster.

If anyone finds a good adhesive for PP5 please share. :happy:

As for improvements in design I am working on an idea for an acrylic lift for the hood of my JBJ Nano Cube 12G. I do not like having it cracked open. I have to leave it open because of heat issues and now I have the fuge input hose coming up from the back chamber too. If any one has done this please share your experiences: maybe start a new topic so that this one remains for the DIY fuge.

Thanks for this idea Weetabix7! :)

Update on the construction glue. It does not work! :mellow: I had to goop a ton of silicone around the spout to keep it secure. However I get the feeling that one good whack and it will come right off. :o That would be a disaster.

As for improvements in design I am working on an idea for an acrylic lift for the hood of my JBJ Nano Cube 12G. I do not like having it cracked open. I have to leave it open because of heat issues and now I have the fuge input hose coming up from the back chamber too. If any one has done this please share your experiences: maybe start a new topic so that this one remains for the DIY fuge.

Wow you sure are working hard at getting this right eitallent ! Power to You

I posted an internal link on my thread to your messages that show all the pictures and the parts you are using eitallent

Wow you sure are working hard at getting this right eitallent ! Power to You

I posted an internal link on my thread to your messages that show all the pictures and the parts you are using eitallent

TY Albert, for the encouragement.

I have made a modification to improve water flow.

I noticed that the water was going staight through the sponge basket to the spout without flowing down to the chaeto. I noticed that many refugiums have baffles in order to guide the water flow in a desired direction. So I need to direct the water down to the bottom of the food container fuge (FCF ;) ).

I had an old spaghetti tube Tupperware container I no longer used like the one pictured below. I burned holes in the sides of the bottom third and clamped it in place of the square container. It works just as I wanted. The water flows all the way to the sand bed and up through the macro out to the display tank.

post-76100-1350850981.jpg

Top view of the spaghetti tube clamped in place:

IMAG1134_zpsc9b43bb6.jpg

Side view of the perforated tube in the fuge

IMAG1136_zpsfb9c3594.jpg

The macro is growing very well.

IMAG1137_zps670dde69.jpg

• Like 1
TY Albert, for the encouragement.

I have made a modification to improve water flow.

I noticed that the water was going staight through the sponge basket to the spout without flowing down to the chaeto. I noticed that many refugiums have baffles in order to guide the water flow in a desired direction. So I need to direct the water down to the bottom of the food container fuge (FCF ;) ).

I had an old spaghetti tube Tupperware container I no longer used like the one pictured below. I burned holes in the sides of the bottom third and clamped it in place of the square container. It works just as I wanted. The water flows all the way to the sand bed and up through the macro out to the display tank.

post-76100-1350850981.jpg

Top view of the spaghetti tube clamped in place:

IMAG1134_zpsc9b43bb6.jpg

Side view of the perforated tube in the fuge

IMAG1136_zpsfb9c3594.jpg

The macro is growing very well.

IMAG1137_zps670dde69.jpg

Seems like it is doing well and I admire your "perseverance" and your "ingenuity"

Great ! I'll keep following how it develops but right now you do seem to have some good growth in there indeed.

I just got in StevieT's submersible LED light and added it to the refugium. It looks like it will work much better than my desk lamp!

Whoever packages for mediabasket.com even sent a Swedish fish in the package. Yummy. :wub:

IMAG1146_zpse1b1bb98.jpg

Edited by eitallent
I just got in StevieT's submersible LED light and added it to the refugium. It looks like it will work much better than my desk lamp!

Whoever packages for mediabasket.com even sent a Swedish fish in the package. Yummy. :wub:

Nice ... and enjoy the candy ...

Polypropylene bonding for food container projects.

Loctite brand has a PP and PE bonding system. I tested it and it works. I stuck two food container lids together and I could not pull them apart in minutes. It is a two part system. First you apply a primer to both pieces with the felt pen. The second part is the all plastic super glue which is used very sparingly and only to one of the pieces to be bonded.

I used this bonding system on the spout of my refugium after I handled it too roughly. The silicone sealant was not strong enough to hold it. After gluing the spout on I used the silicone on the inside to keep water from leaking.

I got the Loctite Plastics Bonding System at Home Depot for $3.77 and it is also carried by Lowes and Ace Hardware.

sg_plstc.png

Edited by eitallent

Awesome, thanks so much!!!

I know that when I originally built my refugium, it was a real pain finding a way to attach things to the slick plastic, so this is very helpful.

Polypropylene bonding for food container projects.

Loctite brand has a PP and PE bonding system. I tested it and it works. I stuck two food container lids together and I could not pull them apart in minutes. It is a two part system. First you apply a primer to both pieces with the felt pen. The second part is the all plastic super glue which is used very sparingly and only to one of the pieces to be bonded.

I used this bonding system on the spout of my refugium after I handled it too roughly. The silicone sealant was not strong enough to hold it. After gluing the spout on I used the silicone on the inside to keep water from leaking.

I got the Loctite Plastics Bonding System at Home Depot for $3.77 and it is also carried by Lowes and Ace Hardware.

sg_plstc.png

Excellent info eitallent ... Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to be setting up my first pico here in a few weeks and this is a great way to add some volume to it! Thanks for posting this!

YW, hope it works well for you!!