Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bubble tip anemone

Gazchap

cheryl jordan
Cheryl, hope you're well.

Been thinking about your post all night and this morning.

Have you heard of and what do you think of the Juwel LIDO tank, which has been set up specifically for the marine aquarist? Think you can find examples from google. It i 120 litres and I can get the package for about £315 - far cheaper than online prices. It's a much bigger tank than mine, is what I'm getting at.

I googled the tank, and I am very unfamilar with it, it seems to be popular though. I could not get a good handle on the lighting T5 or T8.

Any larger system upgrade is a excellent idea. While 6 gal are nice and you can keep alot of different types of livestock in them, taking in its limitations is vital. Anything less then 10 gal I would not put 2 fish in and certainly not an anemone. I consider 20 gal to be the the minimun size for housing an anemone, but others do so in 10 gal.

In the long run you will have greater success, overall less expense and decreased problems with chemical warfare and over crowding in a larger tank. The smaller nanos need constant maintance and can crash quickly secondary to decreased water volumn. Water quality can be a challange and water quality is key to successful sw systems, IMO.

I am glad you are enjoying your anemone they are facinating and you may have a clone soon. If you can increase the size of your tank I think it would be a wise choice.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reef Keeper - I thought it was pretty good too. My LFS is selling it for that price. I haven't bought it yet but seriously considering it now if people think it's a goer...

Reef Keeper, just out of interest, my toadstool still looks limp, deflated and flat - could it be something to do with the presence of the anemone? They're not touching.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, PH 8.4, calcium 495/500, salinity 1.024.

reef keeper

How long has it been like that because they'll retract their tentacles and form the coat over their body they can look like the for a about a week maybe even longer but the regular extension and retraction of the toadstools polyps indicates that the coral is healthy.

Hmmm, about a week. It looks nothing like it did when it last shed; tight and angry. It now looks like plasticine that has been flattened out, real ugly, flat and wilted. Though the stalk, which is short, is OK. Polyps try to extend but nowhere near as fully as before.

My toadstool will do what your discribing on a semi regular basis but it only lasts a day or 2 and it sheds a mucus and goes back to normal. A week is a bit long and I would venture to say its irritated by the presence of the anemone since in such close proximity. I know they are not touching but the proximity is 4 ish gallons of actual water not the distance between them.

Just my thoughts.

You have got some real good advice and probably the best idea so far is the upgrade IMO.

I think so too - it's just a matter of getting together the funds. I will post some pics of the toadstool later tonight.

The Juwel Lido does sound a good deal, but I'm wondering whether to go for a tank only and go for more than 120 litres [the Lido has skimmer, salt, T5s and reflectors, hydrometer - which I have - test kits - which I have, etc] This is link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JUWEL-LIDO-120-MARIN...=item2eab83787b

reef keeper
My toadstool will do what your discribing on a semi regular basis but it only lasts a day or 2 and it sheds a mucus and goes back to normal. A week is a bit long and I would venture to say its irritated by the presence of the anemone since in such close proximity. I know they are not touching but the proximity is 4 ish gallons of actual water not the distance between them.

Just my thoughts.

You have got some real good advice and probably the best idea so far is the upgrade IMO.

+1 i would just give it time it might just be putting out toxins to show it's territory to the anemone.

In actual fact, along with thoughts on the Juwell Lido marine set-up, I could do with a few more opinions on other tanks people recommend. I'm looking in excess of 120litres and, seeing as I can get the Lido for £335, I'd be looking in the same price range. My only issues with the Lido is that it comes with some things I already have and it's more deep than it is wide/long.

I'm looking at the Juwel Rio too - it seems longer and not so deep as the Lido. Does anyone else have any good tips for tanks I could look into upgrading to? I don't really have the ability to make any mods to it, I just want to create a brilliant landscape of live rock, so a 'plug in and play' would suit.

The nano cube 90litre is £235. Again, though, this looks quite deep...

What are your thoughts on either the Juwel Rio 180 or Juwel vision 180? They're not specifically set up for marine but I could quite easily upgrade the bulbs. Plus, with adequate amounts of live rock, how much do I really need a skimmer?

Lighting and skimmer are really the only two things I can see this tank needing and, like I say, not 100 per cent on the skimmer.

What are your thoughts on either the Juwel Rio 180 or Juwel vision 180? They're not specifically set up for marine but I could quite easily upgrade the bulbs. Plus, with adequate amounts of live rock, how much do I really need a skimmer?

Lighting and skimmer are really the only two things I can see this tank needing and, like I say, not 100 per cent on the skimmer.

Skimmers are good but not necessary on nano tanks imo. Usually a skimmer is very important if you either have a large bioload (alot of fish) or feed heavily.

Quick update. Found a second-hand 180 litre [46US gallon] Vision. Picking this up tomorrow. It is a full set up with skimmer, LEDs, metal halide, fans, Blue star damsels, common clown, convict blenny, royal Gramma, Fox face, loads of coral and 22 kgs of live rock. £400.

Will re-jig the landscape but, frankly, I can't wait. Think this is a great deal.

I will. Got a two-hour drive to collect though, so probably Friday/Saturday or Sunday after set up I will post some pics. It's a mature system, so all fish and corals will appear in them too.

• 2 months later...

Archived