SaltCritters.com

Shaving Brush Plant

rubadakis

Thinking about getting a couple of Shaving Brush Plants for my tank. Any comments? Do they release nutrients back into the water? Any reported problems?

Any info. will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

lakshwadeep

Shaving brush algae (Pencillus) are an ornamental macroalgae that have a calcified skeleton. Because growth is not very fast, they aren't useful as a substitute for algae like Chaetomorpha. They don't normally release nutrients (I'm not sure what algae does). You need decent calcium/alkalinity levels for proper growth; although, they aren't invasive. They do best "planted" in the sand.

Shaving brush algae (Pencillus) are an ornamental macroalgae that have a calcified skeleton. Because growth is not very fast, they aren't useful as a substitute for algae like Chaetomorpha. They don't normally release nutrients (I'm not sure what algae does). You need decent calcium/alkalinity levels for proper growth; although, they aren't invasive. They do best "planted" in the sand.

Thanks for the info. I dont plan on using it to substitute chaeto. I think it will look good on my tank. Just wanted to make sure I was not adding something that would compromise the stability of my tank.

Anyone else?

• 2 months later...

I bought a couple shaving brushes. It's my first macro aglae. They grow a lot faster than what I thought they would. After a week they grew atleast an inch (brush part) and there was another brush sprouting. Now two weeks later and I have almost another full sized brush. Mabye they just like my tank, I don't know. Chaeto must grow very fast if shaving brushes are considered slow.

Where did you purchase your's?

I'm looking to start macro for fun.

I got mine from sealifeinc.net. Very nice people there. They like to throw in freebies with your order too. I only ordered 2 shaving brushes and they threw in a pine brush. Never heard of it before but it's similar to the shaving brush I'm guessing.

lakshwadeep

The new "shoot" grows very quickly, but it after that there isn't much growth. Interestingly, the two times I had one, it would make a "rhizome" and form a new shoot while the old one disintegrated. In that way, I had one move across the entire tank.

Archived