Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Guide to Installing an Aquaticlife 115 Skimmer into a Biocube 29, Chamber 1

EvoKnvl

I had mine in the second chamber and as you can imagine, it was difficult to get consistent skimmate. Plus the micro bubbles were bad. I was reluctant to move it to the first chamber because I thought there would be a lot of particulate entering the skimmer. I moved it there and used the bracket and notched the back with a coping saw. This is singly the best advice I have ever gotten. :) The micro-bubbles are at a minimum and the foam is at an ideal height mainly due to the stable water level. Thanks a million for this post! The AquaticLife performs like a champ now.

I had mine in the second chamber and as you can imagine, it was difficult to get consistent skimmate. Plus the micro bubbles were bad. I was reluctant to move it to the first chamber because I thought there would be a lot of particulate entering the skimmer. I moved it there and used the bracket and notched the back with a coping saw. This is singly the best advice I have ever gotten. :) The micro-bubbles are at a minimum and the foam is at an ideal height mainly due to the stable water level. Thanks a million for this post! The AquaticLife performs like a champ now.

Glad it worked for you! I recently cleaned the skimmer and it's back to working like a champ!

There is another good quick fix for the hard to reach knob other than the tubing... You can just take a hacksaw or something similar and cut a notch across the top of the adjustment knob. Then you can adjust it pretty easily from the top with a screwdriver.

Well just update i gave my skimmer more time. Makes a week today and im getting much greener darker skim outa of it. And my tank is cleanin up and looking best it has since awhile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So just to be sure, I should have no problem with Steves media rack in chamber two, and will I have any issues running the stock BC pump.

Correct. No problems with the media rack. I don't think there should be any problems running thr stock pump as well.

Correct. No problems with the media rack. I don't think there should be any problems running thr stock pump as well.

Great thanks............not too worried about the heater, it a short stubby Marinland Stealth

Thanks for the post EvoKnvl, my install was perfect. Now that it is installed, how do I reduce the micro bubbles. When adjust the nob I notice an increase or decrease in the water flow into the skim cup but not really an increase or decrease in the bubbles, I also put filter floss to reduce the amount entering the tank, but there are still quite a few.

Any suggestions on adjustments.

I don't understand how people are having issues w micro bubbles from this skimmer. The water has to travel so much farther that I feel if micro bubbles are entering the display they are being caused by something else. I've had this for a few months and never had that problem.

Thanks for the post EvoKnvl, my install was perfect. Now that it is installed, how do I reduce the micro bubbles. When adjust the nob I notice an increase or decrease in the water flow into the skim cup but not really an increase or decrease in the bubbles, I also put filter floss to reduce the amount entering the tank, but there are still quite a few.

Any suggestions on adjustments.

For awhile I took that plastic tab I broke off between 1 & 2 and used it to divert the bubbles away from the false wall. But now I just cover it with the floss and it seems to take care of it.

The filter floss works, I will let it go for a few days, the bubbles are slowly decreasing.

Have you cleaned out yoru return pump lately? My return pump about every 2 months needs cleaned out and it works SO much better, flow picks up and less bubbles and debris flying around!

just got skimmer and mediarack in. skimmer has been on for a few hours and dont see any microbubbles. i did check the cup just for fun and had some grey water with dark specs of stuff in it. it is kinda loud though(gurgling and slurping) does this go away after break in or a way to quiet it? ive heard extending the air intake will help quiet it. is this true?

Mine was loud. It ran for a week. I took it apart and took the impeller out and 're-seated' it. Replaced everything and now it's never been an issue. Thanks to the person who gave me that advice.

Well after a few days the micro bubbles are almost completely gone, now if it would start collecting some slime, we'll be all set. And another note, mine is whisper quite.

Mine was loud. It ran for a week. I took it apart and took the impeller out and 're-seated' it. Replaced everything and now it's never been an issue. Thanks to the person who gave me that advice.

do you think re seating the impeller before you even install it would be a good idea? I just ordered mine and it should be in monday. May save me from taking it right back out after installing it!

I don't know. I think anything that's mass produced is going to need some tweaking. It's funny. After having this tank and ordering parts and all that I look at products in a different light and say 'i could make that toy nerf gun so much better with a few extra dollars'. I would run it for a week or so then take it apart and wipe everything down then replace in tank. But again, like everything else, it's probly different for everyone. Look at me giving advice ;)

This is what was sent to me and worked: The impeller may not be seated correctly, all the way in. Have had this before on mine and took the impeller out, cleaned and then reseated it and all was good. Mine seems to get louder when it gets real dirty and goes back to being nice and quiet after cleaning.