Innovative Marine Aquariums

Guide to Installing an Aquaticlife 115 Skimmer into a Biocube 29, Chamber 1

EvoKnvl

Updated Skim pic. I think I pulled another one inbetween this and the last shot. Think I was charging the camera at the time. Anyways, I lowered the level even more this time....

060910.jpg

I WAS WONDERING IF THIS WILL FIT IN MY 28G AQUA EURO! i run open lid with led light. and i had this crappy aqua euro skimmer it made noise and i constantly had to mess with it and sometimes i would spill the extract back into my tank so i just took the POS out now i am skimless. i am frustrated with companies inability to make a good reliable nano skimmer whats going on?

I WAS WONDERING IF THIS WILL FIT IN MY 28G AQUA EURO! i run open lid with led light. and i had this crappy aqua euro skimmer it made noise and i constantly had to mess with it and sometimes i would spill the extract back into my tank so i just took the POS out now i am skimless. i am frustrated with companies inability to make a good reliable nano skimmer whats going on?

I honestly don't know if it will fit. The unit measures 10.5x3x3. I would check the dimensions of your chamber and go from there. I would recommend a little extra space as I'm not sure if they took the brackets into account for their reported dimensions.

Latest cup shot. Been slowly lowering the level every pull. I think this is a good mix of wet and dry. I have a good layer of crap at the bottom as well as some floating in the skimmate...

061510.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just picked it up yesterday and installed it in my BC29.

One problem I've noticed is that the skimmer does not stay in play when I attempt to replace the cup. It slides down and I have to hold it in place slightly to get it to reattach otherwise.

Did my bottom bracket fall off when I was installing? It seems like the top bracket doesn't do a damn thing to keep it in place at the proper height.

Also, green tube for the bubble adjustment is a great tip. Thanks!

Just picked it up yesterday and installed it in my BC29.

One problem I've noticed is that the skimmer does not stay in play when I attempt to replace the cup. It slides down and I have to hold it in place slightly to get it to reattach otherwise.

Did my bottom bracket fall off when I was installing? It seems like the top bracket doesn't do a damn thing to keep it in place at the proper height.

Also, green tube for the bubble adjustment is a great tip. Thanks!

Are you referring to the bottom piece that has 2 suction cups? I doubt it would have fallen off. The suction cups may have. In either case, I don't think it will make much of a difference in securing the unit when you put the cup back on.

I've found that gently wiggling the cup back and forth as I apply downward pressure works best. Also, as you clean it more and more, I'm sure that it will loosen up a little bit...

can this be used with stevieT's media rack, and the "stay hold" plastic piece?

I believe it works fine. There is a gap between the skimmer and the wall between chamber 1 & 2. I don't believe the stay hold is that thick...

I'm considering the skimmer, as well.

The issue is that I bought Stevie's media bundle with the fuge/media/fish saver and I'm not sure where the best place for the heater will be. I'm concerned about the temperatures and the water levels.

I've got a 150w heater and I'm currently running at 79-80 degrees.

Rudy, why are you waiting 6 months?

Edited by SlowGoing
I'm considering the skimmer, as well.

The issue is that I bought Stevie's media bundle with the fuge/media/fish saver and I'm not sure where the best place for the heater will be. I'm concerned about the temperatures and the water levels.

I've got a 150w heater and I'm currently running at 79-80 degrees.

Rudy, why are you waiting 6 months?

I placed my heater in the 3rd chamber. I removed the sponge in there and have the heater in it's place. I have a 50W in there so it's short. Be aware that you will have to monitor your water level or have an ATO

I've got my 100W heater in chamber 2 without the fuge basket. I check the water level daily since I've been too lazy to install my ATO.

I've got about 2-3 days of evap before the top of the heater pokes out.

Heater is wedged at an angle to keep it as low as possible.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to wait until I got a decent bioload to warrent installing a skimmer. Now with 2 clowns, YWG, and inverts, it is time. My 115 arrives today, thanks for the writeup!

Any updates with pics of the skimmer cup? Does the unit need any servicing or cleaning? Still consistant?

Rudy, funny that you should ask. I noticed that the skimmer wasn't picking up as much and that the cup water was getting lighter. I went ahead and pulled it out, broke it down and cleaned it out. Now it's pulling out the dark stuff again. It's also loud again lol... Looks like you will need to clean it out once in awhile. I'll put up a pic as soon as it gets full again. I just cleaned it 2 days ago. First time since the tear down.

Evo, I have had thus skimmer running for maybe 1.5 months. It was great till I took it out to clean it. Now it's running overtime and seems like I can't adjust the water intake. And it's LOUD. Wasn't that loud before 'chug, chug.......' it's getting good skim but I had to turn the thing off to watch a movie last night. Any ideas? Thx.

The impeller may not be seated correctly, all the way in. Have had this before on mine and took the impeller out, cleaned and then reseated it and all was good. Mine seems to get louder when it gets real dirty and goes back to being nice and quiet after cleaning.

Just FYI. I took the skimmmer out and 're-seated' the impeller in the pump. Now it is perfect! Can't even hear it. Next project - auto top off. Thanks!