inTank Media Baskets

any ideas to what this is?

gabe_j

I just killed a bunch of things that looked just like that. I had a couple on a zoa colony I got at the lfs and brought it home and within a week they were popping up all over the tank like gangbusters. Aptaisia x put it on em big time. Tank looks so much better without them all over. Like someone else said...they breed like rats. :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

defiantly a moj.

even if it were a gbta, there not hard to come by or very expensive. i would kill it without thinking twice and buy a gbta if you wanted. there usually $20-$40 for large ones and most of the time you get them free. there no where near as popular as rbta's.

I have something that looks alot like yours in my tank. I posted an ID also, alot of people told me majano. It has been in my tank for over five months now and has only doubled in size to about the size of a nickle and has not reproduced. Im going to leave it in there untill im sure of what it is. I think it would be awesome to have a GBTA that started as a baby.

man i know i should kill it but i've had it for almost a month and its about doubled in size. it went from about the size of a nickel to the size of a quarter. i'll check it out when i get home. if its still up where it was last night i'll take it out. would boiling water shot into its foot break it loose? i've got syringes with needles.

cheryl jordan
man i know i should kill it but i've had it for almost a month and its about doubled in size. it went from about the size of a nickel to the size of a quarter. i'll check it out when i get home. if its still up where it was last night i'll take it out. would boiling water shot into its foot break it loose? i've got syringes with needles.

I do not think you need to kill it, I have them and if I limit the feedings they do not seem to spread.

I think alot of people are too quick to kill things, if you like it and it is not near an expensive coral or not spreading quickly I would just leave it.

Next thing you know it will be the new Xenia, haha.

;)

I do not think you need to kill it, I have them and if I limit the feedings they do not seem to spread.

I think alot of people are too quick to kill things, if you like it and it is not near an expensive coral or not spreading quickly I would just leave it.

Next thing you know it will be the new Xenia, haha.

;)

lol you never know.

its funny the corals i've had back in the day that came as unknowns to the store that i had. now sell for TONS of money or things like zoanthids that used to be really cheap and sold by the huge rock.. now the wholesalers are selling them in tiny little frags. lol

idk if majanos will become popular.. they certianly arent as evasive as the aptasia.

I had a few in my 30L that i had. i usually just wanted until they walked around. sometimes they would end up on the glass and i would remove them then.

well i took it out. the hot water didn't work so i just took the rock out and broke a chunk of rock out with my knife. so yea no more anemone for my tank. if i feel the need for something flowy i'll get a frog spawn or something. it was a cool critter but ehh. i'd rather not risk anything else for it.

Why in the world did you kill something that had only a possiblity of being a problem? There are several different species of majano, some spread, some don't. You could have had a type that didn't spread. It was a very pretty speciemen that I would have been willing to take off your hands and I am certain there would have been others willing to as well. If you are just going to kill something becasue they might be a pest do us all a favor and stop taking unidentified freebies from the LFS.

lol its an anemone... no brain. no feelings.. no harm done. and there certianly isnt a shortage of them lol

Why in the world did you kill something that had only a possiblity of being a problem? There are several different species of majano, some spread, some don't. You could have had a type that didn't spread. It was a very pretty speciemen that I would have been willing to take off your hands and I am certain there would have been others willing to as well. If you are just going to kill something becasue they might be a pest do us all a favor and stop taking unidentified freebies from the LFS.

Wow :huh:

well just because right now it isn't a problem yet... that doesn't mean it can't become one.better safe than sorry. also i'd rather not have damage done to the rest of the corals i paid good money for. excuse me for messing up a good speciemen had i known it'd break your heart. i'd have given the thing to you. as a matter of fact i can get the parent of the one i had. and yes it was pretty. but i value my zoas, acans, mushrooms, chalices, scrolls, and palys a bit more. i honestly thought it was a baby bta the tank it came from had several gbtas and rbtas so it was likely it could also be one too. unfortunately it wasn't. and if i did offer the little guy up would you really want to ship this to MD from TX for a majano? if you do let me know i'll get the other one today and ship it for you at your expense.

lol selling majanos. who would have thought it would have happened this quick .. someone predicted this lol

i know! seriously i should have set up a damn tank just for these guys. fed the crap outta them and made a killing lmao. oh goodness. can i sell you some herpes too?

well just because right now it isn't a problem yet... that doesn't mean it can't become one.better safe than sorry. also i'd rather not have damage done to the rest of the corals i paid good money for. excuse me for messing up a good speciemen had i known it'd break your heart. i'd have given the thing to you. as a matter of fact i can get the parent of the one i had. and yes it was pretty. but i value my zoas, acans, mushrooms, chalices, scrolls, and palys a bit more. i honestly thought it was a baby bta the tank it came from had several gbtas and rbtas so it was likely it could also be one too. unfortunately it wasn't. and if i did offer the little guy up would you really want to ship this to MD from TX for a majano? if you do let me know i'll get the other one today and ship it for you at your expense.

You do realize that any anemone could be classified as a pest because they all sting and kill corals. If you value your corals so much why did you even get the anemone. Its the same thing with mini carpets people here kill the mini-minis because they are so invasive but people are selling them for $20-$30 a peice.

If I trusted you to take care with the shipping I might have been interested, but seeing how you have acted on this thread I have no desire to enter into a business transaction with you.

You may think I'm over reacting some, but I feel that if this hobby is to become sustainable without such a toll on natural resources we shouldn't be so harsh to just flush stuff.

You do realize that any anemone could be classified as a pest because they all sting and kill corals. If you value your corals so much why did you even get the anemone. Its the same thing with mini carpets people here kill the mini-minis because they are so invasive but people are selling them for $20-$30 a peice.

If I trusted you to take care with the shipping I might have been interested, but seeing how you have acted on this thread I have no desire to enter into a business transaction with you.

You may think I'm over reacting some, but I feel that if this hobby is to become sustainable without such a toll on natural resources we shouldn't be so harsh to just flush stuff.

yea i get that but if i had a problem with say a bta that got too big i could remove it and sell it more easily than trying to track down every majano. i understand that i could have left it at the store but i figured if it is a bta i got a sweet freebie and if its not odds are they would have killed it anyways.

and i was in no way saying i'd sell you the anemone or its clone i was offering to pick it up for you and ship it your way, free of charge. why would i charge you a fellow reefer for something i got for free? i'm a firm believer in passing good things forward. i'd ask you pay to ship it but as for aquiring it there'd be no reason to start any sort of bussiness transaction. the offer i made still stands if you'd like to get a clone of what i had i'd be glad to pick it up and ship it your way. either way its fine with me.

lol dont waste your breath arguing or trying to justify it .. neither will come to an agreement.

there is only one way to settle and argument like this.. (my mother slammed on the brakes and almost kicked me out of the car when i crafted this statement in a very heated argument lol )

You believe what you want to believe and I'll believe what is right!

lol

Archived