Pod Your Reef

any ideas to what this is?

gabe_j

4641678457_ed212c37b3_o.jpg

i thought it was cool looking at the fish store when i went to pick up a mushroom i wanted. and the dude just gave it to me for free. id anyone? i know you can't tell in the pic but the mouth is a bright neon green, and the tentacles bubble up then thin out randomly and its kind of a blue green color depending on what mood its in.

thanks in advance, gabe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats what i was leaning towards but i've never seen them so small its the size of a pencil eraser when it feeds.. yeah i fed it just for kicks. but expanded its about the size of a nickel, at the stores it was closer to a quarter.

sweet i was skeptical about it as i got it for free from all about fish here in houston. not so much that i distrust them, they are good folks, i just don't trust free things lol. on the plus side i'm sure my clown will eventually like it once it gets bigger.

bananahands
Are we sure here? No one else thinks Majano?

+1

I could be wrong but GBTA reproduce by splitting. Theres no way one would split with one side ending up this small.

Reefmonster

After having a few outbreaks of these guys in my tanks I'd have to agree that it is a Majano, and your LFS "gift" could be a gift that keeps on giving. They are beautiful for sure, but they are like rats and breed stupid fast. I would kill it before you experience the "Bloom". There is alot of info on the web...Just google "Majano Pest Anemone" and let the good times roll!

d'oh! i'll try and get some better pics if it tomorrow afternoon. for a better id. now if it is a majano and its pretty close to the top of the rock will it spread down, damaging corals? or will it just stay at the top near the light

Could be either without a better pic of the oral opening and such its hard to say.

I have heard stories of some BTA's splitting and a tentacle gets left on the rock or something of that nature.. just enough to produce a ridiculously small bta over time. If it is a BTA it will likely grow rather quickly with very small feedings..

I would wait to feed it however until there can be a more positive ID made.

cheryl jordan
Glad you said it.. As I was reading through the post I was thinking this has to Majano. Looks cool but it's not.. Get that guy out of there!

Same here just did not want to say it.

Seems to be alot of this mini BTA going around, but I think they are just a larger majano,

I do not believe they are true Entacmaea quadricolor, there just is no literature to support it.

But they are pretty ;)

well due to some family issues last night i didn't have a chance to upload a better pic.but say it is a majano are they known to take over random rocks or do they stay close together?

I never have had a majano in my tank personally but from what I have seen on here and other forums they are semi prolific. They tend to group but can spread out over time. Much slower than aiptasia from what I understand.

kamikaze_fish

Don't jump the gun and destroy it just because it could be mojano. It could be a bta also. I highly recommend the wait and see approach. Watch it daily. If it splits and stays small, then you need to find a way to get rid of it. If it just grows, then keep it.

Don't jump the gun and destroy it just because it could be mojano. It could be a bta also. I highly recommend the wait and see approach. Watch it daily. If it splits and stays small, then you need to find a way to get rid of it. If it just grows, then keep it.

thats kinda what i was thinking i'd hate to kill it and be wrong.. you know a free gbta is a good freebie in my book lol.

btw i like the new sig quote.

kamikaze_fish

:lol: thanks!

The only reason that was my reply is because I did destroy mine as a newb. Later determined that I was certain that I jumped the gun and it was actually a bta. I was given a gift as a hitchhiker and I donated that gift to my sewage company.

that sucks man... i'll keep an eye on it for a few weeks see what it does. the tank it came from had a bunch of gbta and rbta in it all different sizes so it may very well be a bta. mabe a little chunk that got torn off and just regrew or something. but ive never seen any atipista or anything like that in their tanks. so i guess time will tell. hopefully i'll get lucky...

• 2 weeks later...

4673388279_a473cae2e8_b.jpg

finally got a better picture of the oral disk area any more input, i hope this thread isn't dead in the water yet.

man i was hoping that wouldn't be the concensus. because i really like the way it looks and its been growing, still no signs of splitting.

Archived