SaltCritters.com

chaeto question

Bill Nye

Ok so I have an AC 70 mod with some chaeto in it. Lighting this chaeto I have a 5100 10 watt compact fluorescent lamp from marineland (it screws into a regular socket). Its probably an inch over the water maybe less. I have noticed that the exterior of the chaeto is getting alot of white strands on the exterior of the clump but is still mostly green. I need to trim it down tomorrow since it hasnt been tumbling in the filter, but I flip it every day. I also tested for nutrients including phosphate and all read 0.

Is it normal for some chaeto to die off or is this going to disintegrate on me. Should I change the light to a 15 watt 6500 k curly cue bulb? Should I raise the light up higher off the chaeto. I have the light in a metal fixture that I bought at home depot for 5 dollars that I see alot of people using, but even after running all day i can still touch it with my hand and its not very hot so im guessing heat is not an issue. Finally I leave my light on about 12 hours a day should I increase or decrease the time?

Thanks.

weirdtop360
Ok so I have an AC 70 mod with some chaeto in it. Lighting this chaeto I have a 5100 10 watt compact fluorescent lamp from marineland (it screws into a regular socket). Its probably an inch over the water maybe less. I have noticed that the exterior of the chaeto is getting alot of white strands on the exterior of the clump but is still mostly green. I need to trim it down tomorrow since it hasnt been tumbling in the filter, but I flip it every day. I also tested for nutrients including phosphate and all read 0.

Is it normal for some chaeto to die off or is this going to disintegrate on me. Should I change the light to a 15 watt 6500 k curly cue bulb? Should I raise the light up higher off the chaeto. I have the light in a metal fixture that I bought at home depot for 5 dollars that I see alot of people using, but even after running all day i can still touch it with my hand and its not very hot so im guessing heat is not an issue. Finally I leave my light on about 12 hours a day should I increase or decrease the time?

Thanks.

If it's turning white you could be frying it with too much light. Try moving it a couple inches farther away, and/or cutting back a couple hours on the cycle. Maybe 3" off the water. I'd see if that helps before you switch lighting.

Give it a week, and then decide if different lighting is needed.

Good luck. :)

• 3 weeks later...
villagefrags
If it's turning white you could be frying it with too much light. Try moving it a couple inches farther away, and/or cutting back a couple hours on the cycle. Maybe 3" off the water. I'd see if that helps before you switch lighting.

Give it a week, and then decide if different lighting is needed.

Good luck. :)

Low Magnesium could also cause it to bleach out. Have you tested recently?

Best advise ever. I do it daily.

Lol I was flipping mine daily now I only flip 2 times a week. For some reason at first the chaeto died off a little or something. I removed a crap ton of it and stuck it back in there. Now it grows dark green and fills up my ac 70 super fast.

Lol I was flipping mine daily now I only flip 2 times a week. For some reason at first the chaeto died off a little or something. I removed a crap ton of it and stuck it back in there. Now it grows dark green and fills up my ac 70 super fast.

I keep my light on 24/7 so it gives the bottom side rest and the top light ;)

There are two things that I have seen that cause chaeto to fall apart:

1) Putting it in a system <2 months old.

2) Letting it get too hot.

I'd point the finger at the light first. How hot does it get? Do you think that the chaeto is being hit with a lot of radiant heat?

There are two things that I have seen that cause chaeto to fall apart:

1) Putting it in a system <2 months old.

2) Letting it get too hot.

I'd point the finger at the light first. How hot does it get? Do you think that the chaeto is being hit with a lot of radiant heat?

Nah I dont think it was. I think my problem was number 1. Now that my tank is almost 2 months old it is growing aloooooot better. The light I use is like 6 watts...it doesnt even get the metal fixture its in hot to the touch. As of now though its super thick and green and I need to trim it every water change (once a week).

I didn't notice that this thread was so old. :lol:

Glad to hear that it's turned around.

haha thanks! I appreciate the advise either way :)

Archived