Cultivated Reef

Emerald crab keeps killing my clown fish!

diablovt750

nolongerusing

just found out my green emerald crab has killed and is currently eating my royal gramma! :angry:

my tank is algae free and i always make sure i feed my emerald every day (he comes out at 9pm sharp for pellets, mysis, ocean plankton, what ever i feed that day).

wondering where my royal gramma went, he is always swimming in the water column, i was peering in all sides of the tank and i see his face in the shadows. further back i can see his flesh being eaten by my green mithrax!

he's a dead man once he comes out of the rockwork. no more mithrax for me!

Here are a few shots of one of my two emerald crabs. One is pretty shy and this one is pretty much a camera hog. Runs up and down the edges of the glass.

DSCF5077.jpg

devilsadvocate
I'd be royally pissed if my LFS sent me home with this and told me it was an emerald.

that is a red emerald. i have one.

that is a red emerald. i have one.

Is there really such thing as a Red Emerald Crab? Sounds like an oxymoron. :lol:

Edited by Chrisl1976

Green emerald crabs can and do on occasion actually kill living fish.

I remember all to well the one I had that tried to kill one of my gobies, grabbed him by the tail and held him down right in front of my eyes.

I had to directly intervene for the goby to escape with its live.

And there definitely was no shortage of algae whatsoever back then.

Mithrax crabs are decidedly NOT reef safe contrary to claims otherwise, as they have even been known to tear up corals.

They are a loose cannon.

Edited by Alexraptor
  • 6 years later...
On 5/14/2010 at 11:01 AM, cheryl jordan said:

I agree I do not think what you have is indeed an emerald as they are algae eaters

A pic of your crab would really help.

:)

they have eaten alotof my fish at this moment i assure you they have eaten 2 almost full size blue-green chromis, a bi-color blenny, and that is what im sure of many other of my fish deaths could have been related to him aswell