SaltCritters.com

....Maximum Growth With VorTech MP10....

xgame2k

I am deciding on which MP10 I should get. I want maximum growth out of the corals (sps, etc...), but I don't want my tank to break anytime soon. I here that RCM greatly reduces the life of your tank, so is the NTM of the new ES MP10 any better?

It will be going on the Biocube 29 and I see that most people are placing them on the left side of the tank (same side as the overflow).

I am deciding on which MP10 I should get. I want maximum growth out of the corals (sps, etc...), but I don't want my tank to break anytime soon. I here that RCM greatly reduces the life of your tank, so is the NTM of the new ES MP10 any better?

It will be going on the Biocube 29 and I see that most people are placing them on the left side of the tank (same side as the overflow).

where did you here that? how would they reduce life of your tank. I'd focus more on pristine water params, and good light. Flow is key, but you wont notice a huge difference by changing the MP10's settings

you can have the best... most natural and random flow in the world.

but if your water quality, lighting, temperature, tank husbandry, ETC are OFF... you still wont get good growth.

I guess it would depend on the kind of tank that you have. The vortechs are capable of stressing the tanks but if you have a standard 15aga or bigger, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you have a lot of holes in the back.

FWIW, I was worried about the short pulse mode stressing my 5.5aga.

It was a question someone was asking VorTech on another forum.

I'm not talking water quality. Just modes on the VorTech. Thanks.

I guess it would depend on the kind of tank that you have. The vortechs are capable of stressing the tanks but if you have a standard 15aga or bigger, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you have a lot of holes in the back.

Im thinking of getting a vortech for my 5.5...

Worth it? Im gonna be keeping a mixed reef a little heavier on the sps.

Thinking it will last me a while so when I upgrade I just will kick it up a few notches :P

My bad on the hijack :D

Urchinhead

Umm... Under 10 gallon and its not a good idea. Not because it will break the tank but because its going to be allot of flow. You could dial it down low though.

Ive heard the same thing of mp's moving such a weight of water reducing the seam strength on tanks. And possibly making the acrylic or Silicone seams burst. Probably not probable but I've heard it.

Carlton'sTank

They move some water, but not enough to bust out the side of your tank. I have had increased growth in my tank, but I can't say it is because of a particular setting on my MP10, there are just too many variables. It makes me feel like I am doing all that technology allows in the flow department, but there are so so so many factors that go into good growth. I mean two identical tanks could be set up and one may show more growth than the other.

wow..I would think that it would kill the coral before it thear apart a tank!

I would think that the kind of pressure needed to dammage a tank would probably not be very good for coral either.

I can't see it breaking the seam on a tank unless the seam is faulty already. But in my experience if you have a 28 gal nano cube with the stock stand, be careful because it will certainly make the stand wobble if you turn it up to high. But then again I'm not a big fan of the jbj stands. If it didn't come with the tank for free I never would have used it. As far as increased growth goes could be possible due to increased water flow and exchange. It hasn't negatively affected my coral growth.

Captain Billy

Vortechs are great but there are more dynamic, random ways to move water and perhaps get better growth than with a vortech.

Vortechs are great but there are more dynamic, random ways to move water and perhaps get better growth than with a vortech.

Thanks for your input. Ha

fiction101

What are these more dynamic and random ways?

Captain Billy
Thanks for your input. Ha

No problem. :lol:

What are these more dynamic and random ways?

I have two SCWD's running on a mag 12 and a mak 4, and they switch every 5 seconds on the mak 4 and every 6 seconds on the mag 12, so the flow is always randow and even more dynamic than the wave action you get with a vortech.. Just an example there are tons of ways to go about it though. IME the vortechs break a lot too, especially first generation wet assemblys.

• 3 weeks later...
No problem. :lol:

I have two SCWD's running on a mag 12 and a mak 4, and they switch every 5 seconds on the mak 4 and every 6 seconds on the mag 12, so the flow is always randow and even more dynamic than the wave action you get with a vortech.. Just an example there are tons of ways to go about it though. IME the vortechs break a lot too, especially first generation wet assemblys.

Having run both and MP40 and a SCWD, I would recommend you getting the MP10 anytime over a SCWD. The flow that an MP10 produces is far greater and random than any SCWD can produce. On top of that the flow coming out of the SCWD although alternating and somewhat random, is still laminar like a powerhead. The surge type of flow that can be produced by pulsing the Vortech is obviously much closer to what most corals have grown and evolved in over hundreds of thousands of years. Although the mainly laminar flow that the SCWD produces can be beneficial to some gorgonians like sea fans, the majority of corals which we keep as hobbyists, especially corals of the SPS variety grow and are found in the more surging currents of the reef. If you can afford the Vortech by all means it is a better choice than a SCWD. If you can't afford the Vortech the SCWD is a much better choice than just some powerheads.

Archived