Cultivated Reef

Ecoxotic LED Club

VtheMaestro

Ok so a friend had a stash that I'm picking and gonna give a go on the regular stunners.

Will be using over the Fluval Spec V

4x 8000k/435nm

2x 8000k

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the light set up over the tank and the 8000k is too white over the tank. 4x of the 8000k/435nm seems way too bright as well so I cut it down to 3x.

Will be replacing the 8000k with 453nm or 445nm soon.

jedimasterben
Got the light set up over the tank and the 8000k is too white over the tank. 4x of the 8000k/435nm seems way too bright as well so I cut it down to 3x.

Will be replacing the 8000k with 453nm or 445nm soon.

Don't judge LEDs by how bright they look.

gulfsurfer101

I'm on the lookout for the all blue pro module for a future build. If anybody has one they no longer want pm me with how much you want for it and how long it's been used. I plan on using it as moonlighting between two par38's over a 20l till I'm able to build a full spectrum DIY.

So true. I just installed a 405nm strip and the LEDs look really dim to the eyes. With just this strip and the Royal Blue (445nm) on, the florescence in the corals is truly amazing :)

I meant to say the 8k is too bright as in the color is too white for my taste.

will be trying to trade the 2x8k and the 8k/453nm

So true. I just installed a 405nm strip and the LEDs look really dim to the eyes. With just this strip and the Royal Blue (445nm) on, the florescence in the corals is truly amazing :)

Could you try and take a picture with just the 405 on? maybe adjust the whitebalance of the photo to what your eye actually see?

jedimasterben
Could you try and take a picture with just the 405 on? maybe adjust the whitebalance of the photo to what your eye actually see?

its nearly impossible. pretty much all even a badass camera will catch is the fluorescence. camera filters dont go into the low-violet range, cutoff is about 450nm.

just imagine that the tank is nearly pitch black, but your corals are glowing like theyre irradiated. :)

its nearly impossible. pretty much all even a badass camera will catch is the fluorescence. camera filters dont go into the low-violet range, cutoff is about 450nm.

just imagine that the tank is nearly pitch black, but your corals are glowing like theyre irradiated. :)

...or think of blacklights at a Halloween party.

Even my pesky Hydroids look cool under the 405/445 lights :)

Trying to adjust the color on the strips I have and swap them out but can't decide on which!

I think the magenta/445nm would look amazing but not sure how good it will actually make the colors pop.

Also the 12000k/445nm looks good too.

Wanna swap out two of my strips and thinking one of each of the above.... or should I go with

magenta/445nm and 403uv

magenta/445nm and 445nm

magenta and 445nm

magenta/445nm and 12000k/445nm

?????

I'm looking to make a change from my Kessil 150 to another more flexible option of LEDs. I'm just not getting the coloration I would like from my Kessil. I currently run a Manta Ray 18 (18"x18"x9"). My tank is primarly lps and acans with a few montis thrown in. I've just started looking into these lights but thought I might ask for someone's opinion on what might work well.

Thanks

Sigh, the pictures showing the visual aspect of each color option is good but it would have been nicer to have it over a coral tank.

Still undecided on which to get.

looking through some of the pictures online it shows to be a magenta/445nm 12.5" stunner strip but on some other sites it show to be magenta/453nm.

Can anyone confirm to this info? which is it actually?

Just ordered the 445nm strip to be used alongside 2x 8000k/453nm strips and now looking for a fourth, most likely magenta unless the magenta/blue is 445nm

Ecoxotic Par38, 20k. Made with 3w Cree LED's, 3 blue and 2 white. It only has about 1000 hours on it, so there's plenty of life left. $100 shipped

I'll include a basic screw in socket w/6ft cord, and a digital two plug timer.

Pics to show color:

2012-09-27_19-15-47_481.jpg

2012-05-21_13-13-19_929.jpg

2012-07-20_19-40-53_898.jpg

2012-07-20_19-40-25_242.jpg

I'm looking to make a change from my Kessil 150 to another more flexible option of LEDs. I'm just not getting the coloration I would like from my Kessil. I currently run a Manta Ray 18 (18"x18"x9"). My tank is primarly lps and acans with a few montis thrown in. I've just started looking into these lights but thought I might ask for someone's opinion on what might work well.

Thanks

Which Kessil 150 type do you have? Maybe you have the really blue one?

Some of these strips give some amazing color. I use six Stunner Strips (with polished individual reflectors) exclusively for a 12g mixed reef tank (incl. Acros/Montis) with 12" of water depth, but this is not the norm in this hobby (the Stunners fit a specific set of criteria I need for this tank). Most people like more power and go with a few Panorama modules or a combination. At any rate, the types of strips used is very important to give corals the type of light they need.

The Kessil is a single point light source producing a 'full spectrum', so you'll get some shadowing out at the edges. With properly sized and placed LED strips the lighting can be very even across the whole tank.

looking through some of the pictures online it shows to be a magenta/445nm 12.5" stunner strip but on some other sites it show to be magenta/453nm.

Can anyone confirm to this info? which is it actually?

Just ordered the 445nm strip to be used alongside 2x 8000k/453nm strips and now looking for a fourth, most likely magenta unless the magenta/blue is 445nm

Last time I looked, they had a Magenta/12k White (which is what I have) and a Magenta/453nm Blue. Most people would choose the Magenta/453nm Blue for a reef tank which gives a more purple-ish look. I had enough blue already, so I went for the brighter-look of the Magenta/12k White.

Sigh, the pictures showing the visual aspect of each color option is good but it would have been nicer to have it over a coral tank.

Still undecided on which to get.

Do you like the look of a blue-cast (actinic) tank or more of natural sunlight look? You'll have to play around a bit to find what suits you and the corals.

This is more-or less what couple strips equaling 2:1 (blue/white) with a single Magenta/12k looks like:

FTS1100512.jpg

Bare in mind that a digital camera doesn't handle LEDs well so I had to color correct the pic using Picaso. However, I was unable to remove the purplish cast completely, but it is not there in real life.

Do you like the look of a blue-cast (actinic) tank or more of natural sunlight look? You'll have to play around a bit to find what suits you and the corals.

This is more-or less what couple strips equaling 2:1 (blue/white) with a single Magenta/12k looks like:

FTS1100512.jpg

Bare in mind that a digital camera doesn't handle LEDs well so I had to color correct the pic using Picaso. However, I was unable to remove the purplish cast completely, but it is not there in real life.

I really don't like the look of a heavy blue colored tank, looks too "fake" to me but I do want to increase it some from what I have now which makes the corals washed out. I have a single 445nm enroute which will be sitting alongside 2x8000k/453nm so I'm trying to decide what to use for the fourth strip.

Does the 12000k/magenta add to the colors of the coral without overpowering in magenta?

Last time I looked, they had a Magenta/12k White (which is what I have) and a Magenta/453nm Blue. Most people would choose the Magenta/453nm Blue for a reef tank which gives a more purple-ish look. I had enough blue already, so I went for the brighter-look of the Magenta/12k White.

LoL, I went to the last page and replied to your last post but this one pretty much answers my question!

I'm sure the 445nm along with the 2x8000k/453 would increase the blues significantly and provide the "pop" I'm looking for so the Magenta/12000k would be perfect.

I'm sure the 445nm along with the 2x8000k/453 would increase the blues significantly and provide the "pop" I'm looking for so the Magenta/12000k would be perfect.

I originally bought the Magenta to supply a bit of the higher spectrum (specifically looking for some red). It gives a nice pop to orange corals, but I wouldn't use more than one since it can make the tank look 'garish'. One interesting side effect was to turn an Acan that had gone orange back to it's original red coloration.

I originally bought the Magenta to supply a bit of the higher spectrum (specifically looking for some red). It gives a nice pop to orange corals, but I wouldn't use more than one since it can make the tank look 'garish'. One interesting side effect was to turn an Acan that had gone orange back to it's original red coloration.

was this turned back to red or just altered how it looked due to lighting?

was this turned back to orange or just altered how it looked due to lighting?

I went back to it's original blood red from orange. Acans color is very often determined by the lighting spectrum.spectrum. If I temporarily turn off the magenta strip the Acan is still red.

Sounds good, seeing as though the only thing in my tank is the RBTA this should work out good.

Looks like my fourth strip will be the Magenta/12000k

Sounds good, seeing as though the only thing in my tank is the RBTA this should work out good.

Looks like my fourth strip will be the Magenta/12000k

There are a good number of florescent proteins and pigments that appear red to our eyes. The magenta strip's spectrum may not influence some of these, but it certainly won't hurt and should actually enhance viewing of existing orange/red pigments.

The Mag/12k will not excite your BTA's florescence as much as the Mag/453. But, I think the Mag/12k looks more natural overall, however some like the more pronounced pink/purple glow of the Mag/453.

gulfsurfer101

Does anybody know if I can use the power supply and dimmer from the pros to drive a few true violet's. If so how many could it.

jedimasterben
Does anybody know if I can use the power supply and dimmer from the pros to drive a few true violet's. If so how many could it.

No, they work a different way than you're thinking.

There are a good number of florescent proteins and pigments that appear red to our eyes. The magenta strip's spectrum may not influence some of these, but it certainly won't hurt and should actually enhance viewing of existing orange/red pigments.

The Mag/12k will not excite your BTA's florescence as much as the Mag/453. But, I think the Mag/12k looks more natural overall, however some like the more pronounced pink/purple glow of the Mag/453.

I have 2x 8000k/453nm over the tank already (actually 4x for now) with a 445nm on the way. I think if what you are saying is correct then it should be awesome! Now the wait for it to come in.

THanks again for chiming in!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Archived