Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube 29 return pump upgrade

adreanis

hi

I would like to upgrade the return pump on my BC 29>> whats the best GPH rate that I can get for the size of my tank?

I am using hydor flo and was wondering whats the maximum for it to be efficient.

Thank you

A popular return pump on the BC29 is a Rio 6HF (I believe you'll want to get some Eheim 16/22 tubing for that pump). In my growing collection of pumps I do own one, and it pushes water well however my only complaint is that it tends to be a bit on the noisy side (at least mine is), but then again I am spoiled by Eheim pumps.

Rio 6HF or Maxi Jet 1200

I found the MJ12 to be a lot of flow - who knows you might like it. I didn't care for it until I replaced my return nozzle with a lock line Y return.

Meengineer0128
A popular return pump on the BC29 is a Rio 6HF (I believe you'll want to get some Eheim 16/22 tubing for that pump). In my growing collection of pumps I do own one, and it pushes water well however my only complaint is that it tends to be a bit on the noisy side (at least mine is), but then again I am spoiled by Eheim pumps.

I use the Rio 6HF in my BC. As said, you will have to up the tubing size, but nothing to lose sleep over. I don't mind the little bit of noise from the pump due to the trickle filter in my opion being a tad louder. I do use it with the hydor flo and have had no problems as of yet (though I do take mine apart and clean it weekly). Much better than the maxi jet. Look at the pump curves and electicity consumption. Maxi doesn't even put out as much as the rio. My .02, go with the Rio.

Meengineer0128
I use the Rio 6HF in my BC. As said, you will have to up the tubing size, but nothing to lose sleep over. I don't mind the little bit of noise from the pump due to the trickle filter in my opion being a tad louder. I do use it with the hydor flo and have had no problems as of yet (though I do take mine apart and clean it weekly). Much better than the maxi jet. Look at the pump curves and electicity consumption. Maxi doesn't even put out as much as the rio. My .02, go with the Rio.

Maxi-jet: 295 GPH@22 watts

Rio 6HF: 350 GPH @ 15 watts

Don't waste your money on a rio. You have a 50% chance of it working properly.

You just have to keep up with the cleanings on it... the maxi is more set it and forget it.

Meengineer0128
WoW... guess I got lucky.

Guess I got lucky too. So I guess that means you have a 66% chance of it working out of the box. Sorry xgame, your the 33% minority.

I do agree about cleaning. I clean mine once a month, though you may be able to go three months. (When I clean mine, there isn't much to clean off). I suppose if you have a good clean aquarium, you don't have to worry much either.

all good choices

gonna go with a MJ900 to replace the stock BC29

Not much of an upgrade you know. You actually lose 13 GPH with this switch FYI

BC29 243 GPH

MJ900 230 GPH

Not much of an upgrade you know. You actually lose 13 GPH with this switch FYI

BC29 243 GPH

MJ900 230 GPH

this

RIO 6hf FTW.

Maxi-Jet 1200

• V/Hz: 120V/60Hz