SaltCritters.com

2 hitchhikers 2 id on new LR

Big-B

Hi guys,

I purchased a mushroom rock this week that has some extra animals on it. Two of type I am concerned about are pictured below. From pics of mojanos and aptasia on the web I think the brown one looks like one of these pests. Either way it's irradication time. I'm not so sure where to start to identify the second animal though. Right now, #2 is about a 1/4" across and off the main trunk has many branches, each with 8 nodes atop that. The picture below is probably a better description. In advance, thanks for your help. Newbie Big-B

post-52450-1273207380_thumb.jpg

post-52450-1273207399_thumb.jpg

Psychosis

I'm all most tempted to I.D. #2 as some kind of Gonipora, but that doesn't seem quite right.

#1 is definatly a Majano. They don't reproduce as quickly as Aiptasia, but they are actually harder to kill. Some people don't even bother trying to eradicate them, all though I'd reccomend at least taking a crack at it.

FriendlyStranger
#2 is a baby toadstool leather. :)

I've never seen a leather with polyps that look like that before, I so want one!

Howdy and thanks to everyone providing their assistance in identifying these "freebies" that came along with the mushroom rock. After discovering two more majano on the rock, I pulled them all out on friday. I used a knife to cut the bugger off and then used a q-tip to clean the remnants off. Afterwards I sterilized the area where they were attached using bleach on a second q-tip. I rinsed the rock off with tank water before putting it back in. I was surprised how deflated the hichhikers got after I sliced its base. Sort of like a waterbaloon bursting.

Today I noticed something climbing the tank side. At first I thought it was a nudi but afterwatching it and looking at pics online, I figured it was a majano on th eloose. So I removed him too.

As for #2, I'll see how those two guys evolve. I think montipora and Eole00 may have hit the nail on the head with their id. I'll be able to better confirm when they grow larger. Being that they are so tiny I had a hard time judging their hardness. They were quite firm though.

Thanks again

Archived