Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can a Torch kill a Shrimp?

bfruacikned

bfruacikned

Anyone know if this is possible? all parameters were stable, shrimp was molting about every two weeks, all corals healthy and happy. Skunk cleaner comes out from his cave roof perch... I see him messing with the torch coral for the first time in 2 months I've had him. 10 minutes later he's dead on the sand. Can a torch kill a shrimp?

bfruacikned

Just to add water params rather than just "everything stable"

SG 1.025

temp 78-81

Ph 8.2

Alk 9.4

Calcium 460

Magnesium 1220

Am/nitrite/nitrate 0/0/0

Everything else seems to be thriving, all corals have grown significantly

Maybe he had too many trans fats from the cyclop eeze.

Edited by bfruacikned
  • 11 years later...

Hello, im wondering the same thing. I've had my cleaner shrimp for 4 months now. I recently got a torch coral and I saw my cleaner shrimp right next to it last night for the first time. I found him dead this morning. 

10 hours ago, LilyO said:

Hello, im wondering the same thing. I've had my cleaner shrimp for 4 months now. I recently got a torch coral and I saw my cleaner shrimp right next to it last night for the first time. I found him dead this morning. 

if your shrimp was messing with it the coral was probably already dying. I have never ever seen a cleaner shrimp kill a coral, pester them for food maybe but it never results in death

edit; I read that backwards lol, but the same still applies, cleaner shrimp shouldn't die from touching a coral. perhaps he died of old age or some ailment added when you got the torch.

I used to feed my torch "live shrimp".  Usually squishing the shrimps head and feeding it directly.  Once being curious of how potent the torch was, I held the shrimp inside the center head.  Took over minutes of constant stinging before I felt bad enough to put it out of its misery and feed it as normal.  If the shrimp died it was lost likely not from the torch. 

• Like 1

So torches and other LPS with polyps large enough can eat live shrimp, crabs, and even small fish but it's quite rare and the larger the animal is, the more unhealthy it has to be in order for the coral to subdue it. They can kill healthy fully grown dwarf hermits and similar sized stuff, but a shrimp would have to be on deaths door to not get away.

Many of my LPS are coming up on 10 years old and in my entire time reefing, I've only ever seen my bowerbanki with 2" polyps eat something alive - and it was a hermit that fell onto it. If your shrimp died, the chances of it being from your coralare basically zero and if your coral finished it off and ate it, it was going to be dead soon anyway.

Because it's super cool too see:

hermit_feast_side.jpg.3d818bc0c314a5473c3ee6fd7a365ac5.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 5/7/2010 at 8:50 AM, bfruacikned said:

Anyone know if this is possible? all parameters were stable, shrimp was molting about every two weeks, all corals healthy and happy. Skunk cleaner comes out from his cave roof perch... I see him messing with the torch coral for the first time in 2 months I've had him. 10 minutes later he's dead on the sand. Can a torch kill a shrimp? 

Only thing a torch can do is absolutely obliterate other corals,