Cultivated Reef

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

That's awesome!

Where did you find this little guy? sp.?

Thanks. I happened to walk into one of my favorite LFS's about an hour after they got a shipment in. Three were floating in a bag. I was tempted to get all 3, but I ended up only getting one. At $12, I figured it was an awesome deal and walked out happy. I knew it was a Periclimenes, I still have yet to positively ID the species. Perhaps venustus? Anyone care to venture a guess?

I don't know if it's simply geographical variants, or improper identification. I've found pictures of both species and 2 others that look identical, or nearly identical to mine. Then I google that species and come up with shrimp that look completely different. I'm officially reclassifying this shrimp. From henceforth this shrimp shall now be known as Periclimenes rawhisperii, or Ray's commensal shrimp.

I don't know if it's simply geographical variants, or improper identification. I've found pictures of both species and 2 others that look identical, or nearly identical to mine. Then I google that species and come up with shrimp that look completely different. I'm officially reclassifying this shrimp. From henceforth this shrimp shall now be known as Periclimenes rawhisperii, or Ray's commensal shrimp.

could have sworn there was a thumbsup smiley....

My mission!

My LFS, Top shelf aquatics has two maxi mini in their farm. I never got into mini maxi's but these two will break me into the mini maxi scene. They have their foot way wedged into a hole so when the owner tries to frag them they slip right back into the rock. So they have been there for months! Literally. Sitting in their coral farm not for sale......yet. Lol

So my mission is to break the will of the store owner into letting me frag the nems.

I'm determined to grab them. Check this out...... Do you blame me? :happy:

It was under atinics at the time. But gives you an idea. Pics better than words.

5035b676313909fabb0ab254fb036b74.jpg

I really couldn't get a good pic cause of the gsp in the way but you get the idea.

b9f8ee0281333b38f6419d714e35f6b4.jpg

Wow, great pic. I think I saw that one last time I was in, is it in the big tank on the side facing the cash register? That place is dangorus with my growing nem obsession...:wub:. I almost got a purple in from them when they had that big sale at the beginning of November, but I was already getting a rock flower and didn't want to over do it. Kinda regretting it now.

Wow, great pic. I think I saw that one last time I was in, is it in the big tank on the side facing the cash register? That place is dangorus with my growing nem obsession...:wub:. I almost got a purple in from them when they had that big sale at the beginning of November, but I was already getting a rock flower and didn't want to over do it. Kinda regretting it now.

Lol it's tempting. I always rationalize it as "just one more". But these two are in the back room. In the farm tank. But you have to get permission to go back there.

Lol it's tempting. I always rationalize it as "just one more". But these two are in the back room. In the farm tank. But you have to get permission to go back there.

Me too. My problem is I'm a full time student, and unfortunately so far "rationalizing" doesn't seem to be synonymous with "more money appearing in my reef fund" :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one finally climbed out from under a ledge. I got this picture before it went back to living upside-down two days later:

P1000522_zpsac40815b.jpg

This was the 'mystery frag' that Reef Gardener sent me with the other one. It's hauling in some mysis which is why it's furled up a bit.

P1000527_zps4a82b75b.jpg