Top Shelf Aquatics

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

when you chop them up, they are the same color as the parent. The only way you can have a different one is if you cut up one with a unique pattern.

they can morph under different lighting though

interesting..any more experiences on this nem owners? Clones always true or have you seen clones morph?

This isn't a clone. It's a sexually reproduced offspring from two different nem parents :)

I have more :D

So I says to myself:

"Self, you should get these off of that dumb rock so you can frag them easier"

"Good idea you handsome devil, you"

*Commence hammer and chiseling and other shenanigans*

These are some really cool looking animals! I have avoided adding nems b/c the nano seems so little, but I'm thinking now that I have a front corner where such a colorful critter would be much appreciated!

Reef Goddess

Maxi nems do really well just in medium light, so you can get away with putting them in a small tank. Most other nems will not hold good color under lower lighting like maxis do.

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions

1) Reef Goddess, do you have a store in Florida? I was really interested in the mini minis but can't seem to find them locally in Tally or on eBay. I have to travel down to South Florida about six times a year for work, so I could swing by if you have a store.

2) I've got a 5 gallon Fluval Chi converted over as a tall pico with a two gallon fugue and a filter meant for a 30 gallon. I've got a Par 30 lamp from BoostLed. In the tank currently is a tall limestone structure with mushrooms along the base of the structure (mainly ricordeas, with some blue, red, orange and green striped smooth mushrooms). I've got zoas and palys around the middle of the structure and at the top I've got some montis, acros, Blastos and war coral. I have all four corners of the tank open with one corner occupied by a fat tentacle frogspawn and the other by a big fat and gelatinous St Thomas mushroom. I probably stupidly ordered two maxi minis to go in the other two corners. I say stupidly because my plan was to add a pair of green banded gobies and maybe a yellow clown goby for activities (both very small pico gobies, max of about 1.5 inch on the green banded and 1 inch on the yellow clown. Have I just created a death trap with the maxi minis? I wasn't concerned based upon what the lfs said and what I read online elsewhere, but it seems like several of you posting here are the maxi mini experts.

• 1 month later...
noirsphynx

Does anyone have a mini mini that's super tiny? I managed to bring home what I believe is a mini mini but it's super tiny, about 1/4"(if that) and it's split twice in only a few weeks of having it.

far left side of the rock

file-29.jpg

2 of them in the very centre

file-30.jpg

The colour is nicer than it shows, the centres are very bright greenish/yellow but I can't get a good pic of such a small thing.

Edited by noirsphynx

My name is Tony I live in south Louisiana been into reef keeping around 5 years. I have a 70 gallons mixed reef.

Since this it the thread that made me want to sign up. I figured what a better place to post my first picture.

P6010001_01__38100_std.jpg

Ordered from reefgardener.net. I can't wait for it to come in.

Disappointed :(... I got a message from the vendor reef gardener that the anemone that I paid for was purchased twice and I happen to be the second person. Its apparent that this must not happen often because I've read this entire thread and see a lot of good things about them. Hope I can get a nice replacement.

Does anyone have a mini mini that's super tiny? I managed to bring home what I believe is a mini mini but it's super tiny, about 1/4"(if that) and it's split twice in only a few weeks of having it.

file-29.jpg

file-30.jpg

The colour is nicer than it shows, the centres are very bright greenish/yellow but I can't get a good pic of such a small thing.

I just got a couple mini minis that look just like that, only difference would be mine are a bit bigger than a quarter but boy do they split I got one and now have 3!

Edited by 16bio
jedimasterben

file-29.jpg

file-30.jpg

They could be minis, but they kind of look like some majanos I've seen, as well, and it's possible, it looks like that rock is covered with nasties. can you get better pics?

They could be minis, but they kind of look like some majanos I've seen, as well, and it's possible, it looks like that rock is covered with nasties. can you get better pics?

Definitely not majanos. Yes there is some bryopsis on the rock but that's the only nasty on there. I'll try for better pics later today.

• 2 weeks later...

Got lots 'O questions.

How aggressive? Can they be kept with a Jaguar Goby and a Green-Banded Goby? I might be adding a Barnacle Blenny if I get a strait answer mixing Barnacle Blennies with Sexy Shrimp. Being anemones I somehow doubt the sexy "anemone" shrimps would have a prob with one, but what about my little hermits and boxer crabs.

Is there any logic to keeping one in a 10 gallon soft coral reef with the animals mentioned above?

I've read mention of "mini minies". Is there a miniature species and how big can these things get? Are certain species easier to keep than others?

Is their sting strong enough that I'd need to wear gloves?

Being anemones that wander the tank should I worry that they might move rock?

The tank is a 9 months old "dirty water tank" and the soft corals love me for it, no the tank isn't a festering pool of ammonia, but should I worry about keeping higher water quality for a maxi as thought it was a stony coral?

I also think that this thread should be stickied like the sexy shrimp thread. So should the pompom crab thread.

This will be my replacement. Thank you Morgan. I will for sure deal with reef gardener again.

sunsetrainbow-1.jpg

Tupes,

How did the maxi from reefgardener work out? I'm also in south Louisiana (Des Allemands) and was thinking of ordering from them. How did the transaction go?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Freshly fragged(I forgot to take a pic before fragging) but still nice, has a pink mouth and is a brighter orange than my camera captures.

file-45.jpg

Edited by noirsphynx
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little eye candy. Big maxi update coming soon....

PA100009.jpg

PA100033.jpg

PA100026.jpg

PA100019.jpg

PA100015.jpg

PA100029.jpg

PA100010.jpg

PA100014.jpg

I don't always follow up with the threads, so if you have a question please pm me.