SaltCritters.com

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

firefishbrain

Alright kids, I figured here is as good a place to ask as any, as we have nicely grouped the Maxi afficionados. I went to Midwest Frag Fest and picked up some more nems, Almost everyone there was displaying their set ups under heavy blue LED's. I currently have a 14k MH and when I brought my spoils home, I wasn't as impressed (obviously). Thoughts/opinions on:

A) Switching to a PAR bulb (boost is doing a special ATM, considering them) with i)Blue to white ratio ii)optic degree (thinking 60)

B ) Switch out the Ushio 14k for a 20k (if I can find a decent priced 70w)

C)Nanotuner's 4bulb t5 (what combo you think, maybe 2 454's, an Atinic white and an Aquasun?)

D)other...?

I just really want my colors to pop, They looked soooo awesome with heavier blue, so I just want a feel for what other people are doing/thinking would be killer!

Edited by firefishbrain
what's the difference between mini's and maxi's?

Size mainly.

Edit: And reproductive habits. Minis split on their own while maxis usually have to be cut.

I would also be interested to see what kind of lighting people would suggest to bring out the best colors in these!

Edited by sweet<3
Size mainly.

Edit: And reproductive habits. Minis split on their own while maxis usually have to be cut.

I would also be interested to see what kind of lighting people would suggest to bring out the best colors in these!

so minis stay smaller and maxi's get larger? what are the typical max sizes? Would it be a bad idea to have these in a tank with a fairly expensive cave basselet?

so minis stay smaller and maxi's get larger? what are the typical max sizes? Would it be a bad idea to have these in a tank with a fairly expensive cave basselet?

Exactly minis stay around the size of a quarter while maxis can get up to six inches. I would NOT have expensive fish with these guys. They are suuuuuuper sticky and will eat anything they can catch :scarry:

firefishbrain

The maxis would definately be a risk, as sweet<3 said. I don't think you would have to worry about the mini minis though. But note, most of the nems posted on this thread are maxis and the minis are not quite as striking in regards to color, on the whole.

I keep my own maxi minis under 4: ATI T5 Bulbs in an ATI fixture. I find my nems stay very bright and colorful under these lights. I also have a bunch of nems under an older T5 TEK fixture. These lights are weaker so the nems tend to be much more open/big, but not as colorful as under the intense lighting. I would compare keeping maxi mini color very similar to keeping ricordia. They do fine under lots of different light, but the are best under moderate to higher light.

I find my nems tend be much stickier when kept in a tank with good flow. Under low flow they are now sticky at all. Whether stickiness is a sign of good health with this particular species of anemone is debatable.

AF: I know that's what they say, but in the case of maxi minis I'm not so sure if that's necessarily true. I have a bunch in a tank with med/high flow and high light and those are very sticky. I also have a bunch in a tank with lower lighting and med low flow, these anemones arent very sticky but are very healthy.

NaClCrocodile

I still have my original, but I decided to keep it unique, sorry. On another note, most of mine have bleached due to new lighting. I went from a 70w MH in a 10G tank to an ATI PM 6x24w T5 setup that is probably a bit too much for them. Only my pink/yellow and brown/orange have kept their colors which is disappointing but only time will tell if it's an adjustment thing and not something worse. On another note, my SPS are also lightening up so I'm pretty sure it's just the high light.

I still have my original, but I decided to keep it unique, sorry. On another note, most of mine have bleached due to new lighting. I went from a 70w MH in a 10G tank to an ATI PM 6x24w T5 setup that is probably a bit too much for them. Only my pink/yellow and brown/orange have kept their colors which is disappointing but only time will tell if it's an adjustment thing and not something worse. On another note, my SPS are also lightening up so I'm pretty sure it's just the high light.

awww that sucks! I honestly think they love MH lighting more than anything. Hope yours color up again!

NaClCrocodile

That's definitely a possibility. I'm just giving them time and steady params...

Oh, and yes, I did reduce photoperiod as well

Edited by NaClCrocodile