Cultivated Reef

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

I want to start a 30 long with some of these in it. I have a few questions :)

1. Does the tank have to be over 6 months old before adding one like a regular nem

2. What kind of lighting would I need for these? I was thinking x2 12k par38's and a AquaticLife T5 with D-Geis Actinic + blubs for color.

3. Will they kill Zoas?

4. What kind of flow should I have? No Vortechs please :P not now atleast

5. When I get my tank set up who has alot of these to sell :P I cant find the mini mini's anywhere! All I see are Maxi Minis, but I want a mix of both.

I want to start a 30 long with some of these in it. I have a few questions :)

1. Does the tank have to be over 6 months old before adding one like a regular nem

New tank, I would wait at least 3-4 months, tank upgrade wait until the tank uglies have passed.

2. What kind of lighting would I need for these? I was thinking x2 12k par38's and a AquaticLife T5 with D-Geis Actinic + blubs for color.

That should work. I have mine under T-5's and most of them are either at midtank or on the sand (their choice not mine, about 8-12" away from the lights)

3. Will they kill Zoas?

If the zoas detach and get caught by them yes, otherwise I personally haven't had a problem with them being next to zoas. I have a couple of minis that live on the same rock or frag plug with zoas.

4. What kind of flow should I have? No Vortechs please :P not now atleast

Mine seem to like medium to low flow. I do have a vortech (just put it in actually) and most of them are a fair distance away from it. The ones that had been closer to where the MP10 is now moved away from it. I had had a K1 before changing to the MP10.

5. When I get my tank set up who has alot of these to sell :P I cant find the mini mini's anywhere! All I see are Maxi Minis, but I want a mix of both.

I have mini minis. Still not gotten brave enough to cut my maxis. I am enjoying them as they are too much atm.

cool! thanks for the reply. Id be using some sand,rock, and water from my MT to fill in the new 30 long. So hopefully that will get the tank moving faster then just starting from scratch. Do they attach to rock or will some of them sit in sand? So if I have rock on both sides of the tank and sand in the middle will they move to another either of the sides?

Most of mine are on the rock, but a couple have decided they like the sand. They will and do move. I have several that are in a different place every day it seems, and others that have picked their spot and not moved since.

Here we go with some updated pics of my babies. :D

P9180586.jpg

P9180584.jpg

P9180581.jpg

P9180582.jpg

I found a good wholesale connection practically right after I bought these, so I'll be getting in 45 maxi minis this week. O_O heehee

• 2 weeks later...
NaClCrocodile

Nice pics! I just let mine out of their prop box today. I decided that it'd be best for both them and me if they were allowed into the tank to roam around lol. In other news, one decided to make it's way into my tiny ass overflow box. He's been there about a week now with no signs of stress so I'm gonna let him be. For the record my overflow is 3" wide at the back and 2" in the front and it goes from the top to the bottom of my tank (18"); he decided to drop almost to the bottom - where the main drain is. He'll be there until he decides he needs more light.