SaltCritters.com

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

reeftankguy

Here is the one I just bought off of Ihernandez86...Taken the night after putting it in my tank with my sons cheapy point and shoot camera (with flash) with lights out :mellow: Looks alot better under the LED's and it has taking a liking to a crevice between two chunks of LR :angry:

Will update here when I get a better pic with my good camera which is out on loan

GreenPinkMaxiMiniNem-1.jpg

Edited by reeftankguy
NaClCrocodile

Today is a sad day...

At ~6AM this morning I woke up to the sound of my filter pump trying to clear and doing so unsuccessfully. I looked in the tank and saw that it was cloudy - my first clue to the trouble at hand. The maxi wasn't in the place that it had been earlier which scared me enough in and of itself, but with the addition of strange noises coming from my filter and cloudy water, my stomach sank. I was conscious enough to unplug the filter and look in it for the missing anemone, so I pulled the filter media out, looked around the intake tube etc, with no luck. Luckily I had a gallon of mixed water on hand, so a quick w/c to get the water clear was next. I decided to just keep the filter unplugged and return in the morning. Four hours later, I went back and looked again - no luck. This time I decided to try and take the filter apart, the motor, shaft, anything that could come apart, was going to. To my extreme dismay I found my blue anemone. Shriveled to the size of a dime (of it's normally 2-3" size), it was in the small spacing between the spinning shaft of the inlet motor and the grey covering that directs flow. :tears:

I still have him, sitting in a small bowl on the surface of the tank water - hoping that he decides to pull through and shock the hell out of me. Updates to come. I'll try and upload a picture shortly...

Edited by NaClCrocodile
Today is a sad day...

At ~6AM this morning I woke up to the sound of my filter pump trying to clear and doing so unsuccessfully. I looked in the tank and saw that it was cloudy - my first clue to the trouble at hand. The maxi wasn't in the place that it had been earlier which scared me enough in and of itself, but with the addition of strange noises coming from my filter and cloudy water, my stomach sank. I was conscious enough to unplug the filter and look in it for the missing anemone, so I pulled the filter media out, looked around the intake tube etc, with no luck. Luckily I had a gallon of mixed water on hand, so a quick w/c to get the water clear was next. I decided to just keep the filter unplugged and return in the morning. Four hours later, I went back and looked again - no luck. This time I decided to try and take the filter apart, the motor, shaft, anything that could come apart, was going to. To my extreme dismay I found my blue anemone. Shriveled to the size of a dime (of it's normally 2-3" size), it was in the small spacing between the spinning shaft of the inlet motor and the grey covering that directs flow. :tears:

I still have him, sitting in a small bowl on the surface of the tank water - hoping that he decides to pull through and shock the hell out of me. Updates to come. I'll try and upload a picture shortly...

Good luck....hope the little guy pulls thru.

z0mg! I am so going to get some of these when I upgrade! Think they will do good in a 40B under 36 3w Cree XR-E LED's :P ? Are they just like real carpets? Do they eat live fish lol? I heard of some guy put in a new blue hippo and 30 secs in it swam strait into a carpet and got killed lol. Will clowns host them? What do they eat?

NaClCrocodile
z0mg! I am so going to get some of these when I upgrade! Think they will do good in a 40B under 36 3w Cree XR-E LED's :P ? Are they just like real carpets? Do they eat live fish lol? I heard of some guy put in a new blue hippo and 30 secs in it swam strait into a carpet and got killed lol. Will clowns host them? What do they eat?

1. They'll do great under that lighting.

2. In some ways, yes - in others, not so much.

3. Absolutely. Maybe not a hippo but watch out for gobies.

4. Unfortunately no, they seem to host sexy shrimp well though. That's your best bet.

5. Anything you'd feed nice LPS - mysis, brine, (maybe) pellets or finely chopped shrimp.

HTH Cayman

1. They'll do great under that lighting.

2. In some ways, yes - in others, not so much.

3. Absolutely. Maybe not a hippo but watch out for gobies.

4. Unfortunately no, they seem to host sexy shrimp well though. That's your best bet.

5. Anything you'd feed nice LPS - mysis, brine, (maybe) pellets or finely chopped shrimp.

HTH Cayman

This may sound kind of weird but do they grow into regular carpets? Or do they stay mini their hole life? I was thinking about get a yellow watchman goby/shrimp pair. Do you think it would eat him? If they pair, they would just stay in their burrow all day. Also I have a bi color blenny. Any chance of it getting a hold of him? He hides in holes in the rocks all day.

Edited by Dasani
This may sound kind of weird but do they grow into regular carpets? Or do they stay mini their hole life? I was thinking about get a yellow watchman goby/shrimp pair. Do you think it would eat him? If they pair, they would just stay in their burrow all day. Also I have a bi color blenny. Any chance of it getting a hold of him? He hides in holes in the rocks all day.

They stay small, but I have some that have gotten pretty big, like 5" across. They will eat any fish that gets stuck in their grip! I have had a few fish die that way..... my little tailspot blenny died that way a couple days ago... what a horrific sight =( Even the hiding fish have to come out an eat, so there is always a chance of them getting stuck on one. My Yasha got stuck and died on one too and he used to be a hider.

Ahh! I really wanted a yasha to go with my candy pistol...but I also have a 3.5" Maxi now. Above post scares me. :(

Edit:

I am traumatized. ObCNs.jpg

:( I came home today to find this. By the time the picture was taken, he had already been fully sucked in once. I think he / his shell is getting spat out...

Edited by Essence
NaClCrocodile

Yep. They're voracious carnivores and anything that they can get a hold of is fair game. Basically, if you've got an expensive (monetary or sentimental value here) fish that isn't considered an open swimmer, you might not want to risk it. It all comes down to priority.

Yep. They're voracious carnivores and anything that they can get a hold of is fair game. Basically, if you've got an expensive (monetary or sentimental value here) fish that isn't considered an open swimmer, you might not want to risk it. It all comes down to priority.

Mine leave my Angler alone so far... He's pretty big I don't think they will bug him too much.

NaClCrocodile

I may cut mine soon. I'll be doing two moves in one week though, so It'll probably be once everything settles down.

NaClCrocodile

Moving really isn't a problem. They're usually semi-sedentary but I thought someone said they don't even sting corals - not so sure about that one but I do know that they like touching each other. Mine cluster at one end of my prop box. They get from 5" which is average, all the way to 6 or 7" for a large one.

Edited by NaClCrocodile
NaClCrocodile

I do too. They're stickier than any anemone I've touched so take that with a grain of salt. I though someone said it in this thread but I'm not sure anymore lol.

NaClCrocodile

Got two more coming Tuesday! Thank you Diver's Den! My favorite thing about their Maxis is that they come so big they're ready to frag right off.