Pod Your Reef

My Fluval Edge PICO Aquarium 2 Years!

dstruong

drufornano
inlight to the discovery that I had bought crap lights i went on a search to redeem myself. I found these.

15 led mr-16.

post-52448-1274892271_thumb.jpg

Cool White 6000-6500K

3 Watt Power Consumption = 35W equiv

Wide Angled Beam 120'

post-52448-1274892276.jpg

compared to my mr11

Color White (5500 to 6500K)

View Angle 140 Deg

Light output 160 Lumen

Consumption 2.1 Watt

can you post pics of the power adapter mod for the MR15 fitment?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
drufornano
i will when they get delivered =)

cool, interested to see how close these will be to the water line. Here's the pic with the simple wood trim to accommodate the LED's and moon light.

post-53013-1274936546_thumb.jpg

cool, interested to see how close these will be to the water line. Here's the pic with the simple wood trim to accommodate the LED's and moon light.

looking good... Make sure you cover your LEDs with some sort of plastic or the salt will cause corrosion and burn out your LEDS.. i cut pieces of sandwich bags and zip tied them on.

drufornano
looking good... Make sure you cover your LEDs with some sort of plastic or the salt will cause corrosion and burn out your LEDS.. i cut pieces of sandwich bags and zip tied them on.

yep--I read somewhere in here by some veteran that heavy clear nail polish would do the trick. I slathered it over everyding....we shall see. In any case, I love throwing money at this thing. I'll prob jump up to the MR16 like you did. look forward to some pics.

Great video!!!

It seems your system is really working well. What do you have running in your filter?

thanks...

just the stock filtration minus the bio balls

yep--I read somewhere in here by some veteran that heavy clear nail polish would do the trick. I slathered it over everyding....we shall see. In any case, I love throwing money at this thing. I'll prob jump up to the MR16 like you did. look forward to some pics.

cool... let me know how that works out for you i might do the same thing. you think spray on clear coat for automotive wheels will do the trick..?

cool... let me know how that works out for you i might do the same thing. you think spray on clear coat for automotive wheels will do the trick..?

I did the spray on clear coat for automotive and it DID NOT WORK for me. I did several coats but the salt got to them little by little and my LEDs are done for. I would suggest build a lens/cover for them, rubber band some plastic around them or something similar.

I did the spray on clear coat for automotive and it DID NOT WORK for me. I did several coats but the salt got to them little by little and my LEDs are done for. I would suggest build a lens/cover for them, rubber band some plastic around them or something similar.

thanks for the input! i just used a sandwich bag and zip tied it. =)

drufornano
thanks for the input! i just used a sandwich bag and zip tied it. =)

hey dstruong--here's a pic of the MR11 with the clear gloss nail polish applied (several coats).

post-53013-1275160499_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates??

nothing really, i added a 2nd koralia nano in the tank and out them on a 15 minute on/of timer to help with dead spots i had in my tank. My sand bed has been squeaky clean since this upgrade. These are the evo series, so they can be put on a timer without and worries of them breaking. =) 240+240+100 = 580 gph/ 116X lol. seems like a lot in a tank that has about 5 gallons of water, but the fish and coral don't mind it since i the koralia's are only on half the time. I am now just allowing the tank to mature a bit more before adding anything. Will probably get a new shrimp this weekend!

updated video:

New MR16 15 SMD LED mod.

post-52448-1276828980_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1276828995_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1276829027_thumb.jpg

these things are brighter then the mr11's. i would recommend everyone to upgrade to these lights.

thanks.. no updates on your edge?

ill post some pics soon, just did another water change in the past two days. Its strange, my KH is hovering around 14! other core levels are right on. I even did a KH test with new water (using Tropic Marine salt) it's reading really high too.

gotta do some research.

ill post some pics soon, just did another water change in the past two days. Its strange, my KH is hovering around 14! other core levels are right on. I even did a KH test with new water (using Tropic Marine salt) it's reading really high too.

gotta do some research.

my KH was really high for a while also. Around 16-18.. i stopped dosing all of these useless chemicals and everything is perfect with just regular water changes. i do still add a little iodine every week so my cuc can molt.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys - your lighting mods have been inspiration for my own fluval situation and I wanted to know how to rig the MR16 sockets into the existing light-arm (rewiring?)

Also, how did you get the MR11 socket in the center? Do the LED strips need adapters?

Thanks, I PMed the same message,

hey guys - your lighting mods have been inspiration for my own fluval situation and I wanted to know how to rig the MR16 sockets into the existing light-arm (rewiring?)

Also, how did you get the MR11 socket in the center? Do the LED strips need adapters?

Yes you will need to open up the unit and rewire if you are upgrading to mr16 sockets, and you will need to drill to run the wires if you want to add a socket outlet in the middle.

hey milk--you got a blog on your Edge? its cool too see how other folks mods are holding up.

SmileyFace69

Hey i've always been interested in the design of the Fluval Edge, but im 15 and never really had the money to shell out on a $130 - 6gallon aquarium, cause i got my 20gallon setup for $40 ... Thats what sparked the fire in my Hobby though.. My mom bought me a 50gallon, then we adopted a 75gallon, my brother bought a 24gallon, i got a 10gallon, & 55gallon (freshwater) so we currently have 5 Aquariums 2 SW, 3FW. Because we sold the 75gallon, and were making room for a Monster 180gallon Aquarium (we just modded stand yesterday im excited!!) But i've been following all your threads and it has helped me a lot, and made me want to save up for the Fluval Edge even more! So hopefully here soon i can get a fluval edge, and i can mod it like yours, and you said your corals arent doing to great if i remember.. But i have an idea, if you want to add a little more Bang for your Buck you can get some LED's, here!

Archived