Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Water change - old bucket :S

spooks

Okay, before I start - I have since learnt that I shouldn't do any water changes with old buckets. Unfortunately I was a little impatient in doing a 10% water change one my 28G tank last night.

The bucket in question will have had soap in it in the past and possibly water based paint in small quantities (12 months ago). The bucket has been rinsed and scrubbed out lots since and looks clean. I am a bit paranoid now that I have poisoned my tank? Infact, I can't really believe that I was so dumb.

The tank is cycled and doesn't have fish in it, but it does have a clean up crew and some xenia in. All of the clean up crew seemed fine this morning (before I left for work) except 1 cerith which was belly up. The ceriths were bought online with a bunch of nerites, of which 30% turned up doa.

There are several turbo snails, multiple crabs all of which were behaving normally. The xenia which I bought yesterday had 1 stalk which was closed up and appeared shriveled. Not sure if that is because it's in a new tank.

Have I killed my tank :( I tested for ammonia and nitrites and they came back 0ppm. Thanks.

As you know, there are a lot of things that we don't/can't test for that will influence the health of a tank, especially a small one. Time will tell if there is a problem, but you might want to make sure that you run some carbon for a while, as this will soak up most impurities.

I bet you'll be fine.

As you know, there are a lot of things that we don't/can't test for that will influence the health of a tank, especially a small one. Time will tell if there is a problem, but you might want to make sure that you run some carbon for a while, as this will soak up most impurities.

I bet you'll be fine.

Cheers - Carbon already in the tank so thats that covered. Came home tonight, the Cerith I mentioned wasn't actually dead and has since moved off somewhere. Must have just ended up on it's back.

Both Xenia's are quite closed up but hopefully this is due to acclimatization. All the CUC seem fine so I guess I might have gotten away with it. New bucket before the next water change I think...

Archived