inTank Media Baskets

Frogspawn sting zoas?

cjscott

So like the title says I just got a new frogspawn and as it becomes more comfortable in the tank it is expanding towards a colony of zoas I have. Should I be worried?

skimlessinseattle

Keep some room between the two. Frogspawn has long sweepers, several inches long if not longer. It's a nice looking coral, but can be a nightmare in tight quarters.

Keep some room between the two. Frogspawn has long sweepers, several inches long if not longer. It's a nice looking coral, but can be a nightmare in tight quarters.

+1 They have sweepers that will sting other corals including zoas. They will shorten their feeders and sweepers, if fed regularly but will still sting to protect their territory. I don't keep frogspawn or any corals with long sweepers in my nano's. My 95 gallon has a frogspawn colony that is well over 100 heads and it's virtually taken over the center of my tank. I have to frag it very soon... Good luck

JayEeeTeeEss

My frogspawn has stung my zoas, rics, and hairy mushrooms in the past. Definitely plan on the FS expanding a large amount before you place it somewhere or your zoas will get nuked! (It was kinda cool watching a mini war, but I had to move it quickly so it didn't completely kill the frags)

the frogspawn will sting the zoas... the tentacles might not look long in the day... but they will get longer at night so give them a lot of room or you might be better off just moving them

You could train them to put their feeders out during the day. I feed mine at virtually the same time every day and that's when they expand the most. At night they will retract and are happy.. You could do this with acan's as well. As long as they're fed they won't send their feeders out as far.

You could train them to put their feeders out during the day. I feed mine at virtually the same time every day and that's when they expand the most. At night they will retract and are happy.. You could do this with acan's as well. As long as they're fed they won't send their feeders out as far.

I have only fed them one time in the 2 weeks that I have had the frogspawn but they seem to shrink in at night. It is more during the day that it looks like I need to worry about.

Archived