Pod Your Reef

Temperature Problems JBJ 28g quad

Katy Reefer

Katy Reefer

Does anyone else have fairly serious temperature problems with their nanocube 28g quad? I dont have any fish or corals yet. I am waiting to get all of my parameters and temperature constant before I do that. I just need some advice on how to keep the temperature down.

I keep my house between 75 and 77 24 hours a day and my tank hovers around 79 in the morning all the way up to 84 in the afternoon. I installed a small fan on a shelf above the tank to try to help, but it only decreased the temperature about half 1 degree. Should I just be setting my heater to run around 80ish to keep the temperature swing down?

Also, I noticed this problem right after I added a koralia 1 and nano (1 each) to the tank this last week. Before them, the tank hovered around 77-78 and got up to about 80. Do these pumps add a lot of heat to the system? I am still running the stock pumps in the back.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I would prefer not to leave my tank open on top because we do have a cat that is pretty curious already about the tank.

Reefmonster

This is just a question, but why would you even have a heater if your water is getting hot? Having a heater set at 80 means that when it falls below 80 if will start to heat the water. so when the aquarium is at 76, the heater is ON and heating the water...by the time the aquarium GETS to 80 and the heater turns off the force of upward swing carries the temp up at least 2 ADDITIONAL degrees. I bet that when the lights come on the temp is already close to 80, and then that PC comes on and just adds heat to the water.

Unless the water is too cold, leave the heater off. A simple stick on thermometer for $.92 at Wal-Mart will tell you if you need a heater. Below 78 will not do as much harm as above 84, so ditch the heater.

Also, those pumps you mentioned do run hotter than most power heads. A MP10 would really cut down on heat in the water because the "motor" sits outside the tank,

If you want to keep those pumps you can always mod the top and add another 60mm or larger fan. There is a great DIY thread in the DIY forum. This would vent the heat that is transferring into the tank.

Just my $.02.

Katy Reefer

Thanks Reefmonster. I actually do have the heater out of the tank at the moment. I only was asking about setting it at 80 to try to keep the temperature swings down. I will definitely check into modding the top of my tank with new fans. That seems like it could definitely help.

and I wish I had the cash laying around for an MP-10! :o

cheryl jordan

JBJ 28 gal run hot, no matter what. Having the heater is a good idea, to prevent the temp swings IMO. I have a chiller on my JBJ and now run it at 80. I would not buy this tank again because of the heating issue and difficulty with modifications. I just had to have the 150 MH though, now I know. It is a nice looking tank, but not worth the money.

post-40050-1272295657_thumb.jpg

I wish JBJ would disclose this info about these tanks during purchase, so unless you live in Alaska or have a good air conditioned home you will need a chiller. So far so good for my tank although it does swing a couple of degrees still. Maybe jbj should just start including the chiller in the package to keep people from having to purchase it seperatly.

cheryl jordan
I wish JBJ would disclose this info about these tanks during purchase, so unless you live in Alaska or have a good air conditioned home you will need a chiller. So far so good for my tank although it does swing a couple of degrees still. Maybe jbj should just start including the chiller in the package to keep people from having to purchase it seperatly.

And they could throw in a decent skimmer instead of the piece of #### that comes with the tank.

You want to keep your temp swing no more than 2 degrees so I would definately get the heater changed to 80. Another suggestion would be to elevate your hood off the tank by a few inches. Some brackets could be made to accomplish this. This would allow the heat to escape without opening the tank up for your cat.

I live in Arizona and it's been in the 90's the last few days. We keep the air at 78 and my tank has not went over 80 degrees. I do have an upgraded T5 fixture with an open top. I evaporate lots of water but it's worth it to keep the temp down.

i just put a clip on fan on mine and have it pointed across the sump. i plugged it in to the timer so it goes on and off with the light. this works well however on hot days the evap is crazy so i have to keep an eye on that. wish i had an ato!

Katy Reefer

If I had a couple hundred extra dollars laying around (that were not already earmarked for other things like fish and coral) I would! LED looks pretty cool and I might get into that down the road. Then again I have a house, other pets, and a wife to keep happy so that might just be a dream I chase for a while :D

I found a small plug in fan at Target the other day. It is just a cheapo $5 fan with legs that conveniently fit exactly on the set of shelves above my tank and it points right down onto the back chamber. So I have been running that during the day and I am able to keep the tank temp down to about 80 almost all of the time. I left it on overnight just to see the difference and the tank was at 74.4 in the morning! Yikes. As you said above, I get about 2-3x more evaporation so I am going through my topoff water quite a bit quicker than intended, but at least the fan is serving its purpose so far. Hopefully when I go on vacation my friend can handle adding topoff water without deciding to "help" the tank any other way.

I am almost to the point where I am going to be adding fish and coral. This weekend I am going out of town so I am using that as an excuse to remain patient and let my tank sit for another week. Parameters have all been stable over the last week so I believe the tank is ready. I never did see a very big spike in Ammonia but I have nitrates and the spike I did see went down quickly.

I have been battling heating issues with my JBJ as well. I too wish they would disclose this more than they do. I dont even know why they sell the nano cube with the MH. I did a DIY from the PC to a MH and my day time temp would approach 88 and I added two more fans in the hood. So I bought an Ice Probe chiller and that reduced it about 2 degrees. So I finally decided to remove the hood all together and hung my MH on a pendant and now the temp gets to about 83 degrees. I am planning on getting a fan to blow across the top to hopefully cool it some more.

Archived