Pod Your Reef

Pyramid Snails

Arkayology

I just noticed two pyramid snails right under the mantle of my crocea. I removed them from the tank and then noticed what looked like eggs right underneath where the clam shell flairs out at the top. The clam is attached to the rock and I am not able to remove the rock from the tank so I took a toothbrush and gave the clam a good scrub down.

Now my question: What I am wondering is if I did a stupid thing by scrubbing the snail eggs off into the water? Do the eggs have a chance to survive after I dislodged them from the clam?

I may be in for a fight here. Any suggestions? I hear 6lines eat them?

cheryl jordan

Sorry to hear about your clam problems. Out of all the pest I have dealt with I found pyramid snails the worst. I have tried 6 lines with no help and alot of other wrasses as well. I hope someone has developed a tx for pyramid snails because the only thing that worked for me was removal of the snails and eggs, and that sounds like it will be difficult as long as the one clam is attached to a rock. It is a PITA because you have to do it almost nightly at first.

That is one reason I like ST's clam holders, seems like it would help. Good Luck.

Sorry to hear about your clam problems. Out of all the pest I have dealt with I found pyramid snails the worst. I have tried 6 lines with no help and alot of other wrasses as well. I hope someone has developed a tx for pyramid snails because the only thing that worked for me was removal of the snails and eggs, and that sounds like it will be difficult as long as the one clam is attached to a rock. It is a PITA because you have to do it almost nightly at first.

That is one reason I like ST's clam holders, seems like it would help. Good Luck.

I am not sure what to do here. If it is best to remove the clam to scrub it free of eggs but the clam is attached to a big rock, what can I do? I am sure the eggs I scrubbed off in the tank will end up maturing (probably?).

I might end up getting a 6line to try and combat these buggers.

honestly 6 lines are hit and miss....yellow coris wrasses seem to work a bit better BUT....

the best thing to do is remove the clam(s) from the rock, scrub it and remove any visible snails and then move UP on to something like a frag rack or pedestal that's off the sand/rockwork

just somewhere the snails can't get to and then let them starve to death.....should take 2-4 weeks for that to happen

scorpkeeper

pyramid snails will also hide in your substrate. the best thing at this point is to stay on the manual removal. check the tank after lights out for best hunting.

the best wrasse for combatting these snails is the china wrasse, but the problem with using wrasses is they are diurnal, while pyramid snails are nocturnal, so unless the wrasse is lucky enuff to come across a snail, their paths won't cross.

good luck...

So should I attempt to remove the clam from the rock, scrub it, and place it on some type of frag rack higher up in my tank? I know how dangerous it is to remove a clam from a rock so I am curious as to what I should do here.

Archived