Cultivated Reef

Custom nano PAR38 lighting questions

EvMiBo

I'm in the beginning stages of a 17" x 17" x 17" custom rimless cube. Comes out to about 21g, I'll be buying the pieces of glass and assembling it myself.

I've recently been checking out the evil par38s and wanted to ask you LEDrs if a 12k 60 degree would be feasible for a mixed reef atmosphere. Mostly LPS with a couple SPS maybe. I'm intending to keep it <6" off the water, is that recommended? Give me you input ;)cu

One might be pushing it for a tank that size. You could try it and add another later if you need it. IMO 60 degree optics are about the most versitile out of all the options, and should work pretty well. Don't commit to 6" above the tank though, as you may need to adjust that height to get the appropriate intensity for the tank.

Thanks for the advice. I assume that it would be pushing it because of a lowish PAR value, correct? If I did a 40degree higher up would that up the PAR value some in the tank or just equal it out because of the rise in elevation?

Not PAR. Coverage. I usually state that the usefull illumination area of a PAR38 (depending on height above the sandbed) is about 14" max. To hit the same PAR levels with different optics, the height will change, but the area of coverage will be pretty similar.

Okay, so if I'm understanding you correctly.. The only difference the 40, 60 and 80 degree offer is coverage. I guess I kind of assumed that a 40 degree light close to the surface of the water would give more PAR at a spot directly under it then say an 60 or 80 at the same height above the surface for the same spot directly under the light.

So, If I am to try only 1 out, the 80 degree might be a better bet since the only difference is coverage and PAR won't sway..?

At the same mounting distance, the coverage will change between the different optics. The PAR will also change. Tighter optics produce more PAR. The 60 degree optics offer the most versitility. 80's for that size tank would be fine for a mixed reef light on sps, but would still not cover fully, depending on mounting distance. You want to set the mounting distance based on the desired PAR levels, not coverage.

Well I'll have to decide between 60 and 80. I'll try going single and when I get SPS they're definitely be on top. This build is at least 3 months away so I have time to think about everything, thanks for all the answers. :)

Archived