Cultivated Reef

Preventing Contamination?

JayEeeTeeEss

JayEeeTeeEss

So i'm worried about contamination in my tank from soap, cologne, or whatever household chemicals that could enter the tank by way of my skin. I have the blue/orange coralife aquatic gloves, but can't do delicate things in the tank. Then I bought a box of 100 thin clear non latex plastic gloves that are full arm length that work well. However, I find that every time I use them, water seeps into the gloves. I'm pretty sure it happens because of osmosis however a couple of times I noticed a small hole in a finger tip probably caused by a sharp rock.

I'm looking for a natural product that I can scrub my hands with like a doctor going into surgery that would remove most contaminants from my skin, but would be safe for a reef. I would scrub as well as use the gloves. I know a product like this exists because I remember reading a tank crash thread where somebody mentioned it. That was months back and I can't find the thread. If anyone has any experience with such a product, please let me know!!

skimlessinseattle

I think you are a little too cautious about this. I simply wash my hands with soap and water, then rinse with copious amounts of water to make sure I get the soap off, dry my hands with paper towels, then happily dunk my hands in my tank. I've never had a problem.

It's always good to use gloves when handing corals, but as long as you clean your hands and arms before the plunge, don't worry about the water that enters the gloves.

For extra protection and peace of mind, run carbon and skim :D

JayEeeTeeEss

I have a skimmer and I use Chemipure Elite... I'd rather be too cautious then see all my livestock I've invested melt away ya know?

chucktdbm321

i havent had any problems either and i just wash my hands and arms with very warm water for a minute or so and dry off with paper towels and when im handeling my corals i use latex gloves thats about it

Archived