Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Quick chaeto question.

fishdaddy0831

fishdaddy0831

Will this spillover light from my 70w MH keep this chaeto alive or should I get a small light to go over the back?

post-10634-1272173455_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Look pretty dark in there and I doubt you will have growth from the cheato. Not even sure it will stay alive.

Is it as dark as it look in the pic? if so then I doubt it's enough.

Will this spillover light from my 70w MH keep this chaeto alive or should I get a small light to go over the back?

post-10634-1272173455_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help.

fishdaddy0831

Yeah there is a shadow from the false wall, but the other side gets good light. It just doesn't penetrate deep into the chamber.

Same thing I did with my BioCube 14g. I even have egg create and GHA growing just fine in chamber one and edge of 2. I put chaeto in 2nd chamber and its been doing fine for a week.

neanderthalman
Same thing I did with my BioCube 14g. I even have egg create and GHA growing just fine in chamber one and edge of 2. I put chaeto in 2nd chamber and its been doing fine for a week.

A week is not a measure of success.

Go with the additional light.

You'll get better growth and if you run it on a opposite light schedule from your tank lights you'll also get the benefit of stabilizing your PH swings.

kamikaze_fish

To my understanding no that won't work properly. The chaeto is there to compete with nuisance algae for nutrients so the best way to make sure it out-competes is by providing it strong lighting causing it to grow fast enough to need the excess nutrients. I hope that made sense.

Go with the additional light...opposite light schedule...stabilizing your PH swings.

This

...the best way to make sure it out-competes is by providing it strong lighting causing it to grow fast enough to need the excess nutrients....

and this.

I run 24/7 fuge lighting and have awesome growth, very clean display and rock stable pH

Archived