Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is rock flower anemone safe for mandarin fish?

Dani3d

Hi, I am wondering if I should put my mandarin in my new tank since I have a rock flower anemone in there. Will the mandarin be safe or can the anemone sting and eat him?

I also have a fire shrimp, would it be safe with the anemone as well? the anemone is around 4 inches so it's pretty big for a rock anemone. What do you think?

I was planning on putting the mandarin in there and getting him a female as well. Can I do this?

What will happen to the mandarin or shrimp if they get sting by the anemone?

youre running a risk, but most of the time as long as the fish is healthy it will stay well enough away from anemones. I have a spotted mandarin in my tank with 4 nems and havent run into issues yet

Even with rock flower anemone? they don,t sting much don't they? I toutched mine and did not feel anything beside the tentacles sort of sticking to my skin.

My worry was not much about the fish being sting but rather that the anemone could grab it, hold on to it and eat it. Is that a risk with rock flower anemone as well? they are not nem or type of anemone with long tentacles.

quote name='v850aq' date='Apr 25 2010, 02:34 AM' post='2811512']

youre running a risk, but most of the time as long as the fish is healthy it will stay well enough away from anemones. I have a spotted mandarin in my tank with 4 nems and havent run into issues yet

The skin on your hands, particularly your fingers, is generally too thick to feel most stings. The "sticky" feeling you got was actually the nem's nematocysts (stinging cells) firing into your skin. If you were to brush the inside of your wrist or arm on the nem, you might have a more painful reaction and get a nasty rash.

If the fish is healthy he wont have any problem swimming away from an accidental brush up, the problems arise when your fish is sick or otherwise weakened and runs into the nem. You really shouldnt have a problem as long as hes eating and healthy :)

hmm I did toutch the anemone with the softer skin on my arm at some point...still no sting. It just stick but does not sting. Are rock flower suppose to have a painfull sting?

The skin on your hands, particularly your fingers, is generally too thick to feel most stings. The "sticky" feeling you got was actually the nem's nematocysts (stinging cells) firing into your skin. If you were to brush the inside of your wrist or arm on the nem, you might have a more painful reaction and get a nasty rash.

If the fish is healthy he wont have any problem swimming away from an accidental brush up, the problems arise when your fish is sick or otherwise weakened and runs into the nem. You really shouldnt have a problem as long as hes eating and healthy :)

painful to humans is not the same as painful to fish. they are effective grabbers of food, and there is always a chance that the fish could swim into it at night or something.

the risk is low, though.

hmm I did toutch the anemone with the softer skin on my arm at some point...still no sting. It just stick but does not sting. Are rock flower suppose to have a painfull sting?

nah, not for most of us luckily. Some people can have a nasty allergic reaction to coral or anemone stings, but for the rest of us the fact that many cnidarians have species or genera specific toxins means that their sting isnt potent enough to do any damage to humans. Another possible explanation is that the nematocysts of some animals simply arent long enough to penetrate through all your skin layers to inject enough toxin to create a reaction...all the same, dont try the inside of your arm on a carpet nem :eek:

. . . . and there is always a chance that the fish could swim into it at night or something.

the risk is low, though.

EXACTLY what happened to my happy and healthy dwarf lion . .. . stupid RBTA -_-

how big was it and how many fish did you have with it? I would hate to lose my mandarin that way, as he's eating well and very friendly.

Had my rockflower for months with no problems.

RBTA are big? how big was the fish vs anemone?

EXACTLY what happened to my happy and healthy dwarf lion . .. . stupid RBTA -_-

Archived