Cultivated Reef

Best RO Unit

bonese

I'm looking for my first RO/DI unit. I need it to be 75 and 90 GPD and also would like it to be simple to hook up to a regular sink and faucet in my bathroom. Is there a unit that fits these requirements, or will I need to sacrifice?

Thanks!

Tim

You should have no problems at all. All units work the same as they are just a series of pre filters prior to the RO membrane and post filters after it. Every unit that I'm aware of follows this same path that at first all the water lines make it appear more complex than it actually is-

water from source goes into the unit's first stage which is a sediment filter. This woven paper filter is often a one micron filter that as the name implies removes sediment, rust and other debris.

Stage two is a carbon block/micron filter. This one takes out the chemicals such as clorine and any othe crap the first stage missed- it can be either a one micron or .5 micron.

Then the water makes it to the RO membrane. This is where all that pre filtering pays off. RO membranes are expensive and you want to have the maximum use so the prefilters by removing the sediment keep it from clogging and by removing the chemicals keep the membrane from breaking down prematurely. It is also at this stage where the waste water is produced. Most units have a pretty high rejection rate so expect that for every gallon of good water to have several gallons of waste. Out of the RO stage is two lines, one is the waste- the other goes to the DI unit. The waste line has a flow restrictors that keeps pressure in the RO membrane to force the water through. The flow restrictor

can fit inside the waste tube or it can be a larger looking inline version- either. Way they do the same thing and I doubt one is better that the other.

The water out of the RO unit then goes into the DI chamber where it is filter through a special resin that removes the final impurities. These resin cartridges will change colors

to show when they are used up.

From the DI chamber the water goes into whatever container you choose- I like Rubbermaid's Brute trash cans as many of them are food grade and will not leach anything into your water.

HTH

Couple other things-

hooking up to your faucet is super easy- just get a faucet to garden hose adapter at the hardware store.

Inline TDS meters are calibrated to air temp in most cases and not to the water temp. Plus they use a different calibration standard than the lab grade hand held versions. As a result the readings are not as accurate, this does not usually present a problem just don't freak if your water tests positive with a hand held meter and zero with an inline version.

Refillable DI cartridges from Bulk Reef are the way to go. Factory DI cartridge is 30 to 50 bucks, get a refillable and knock the price per change to 10 dollars.

See if your water is treated with chloramines, if so you will ne a prefilter cartridge that will remove this chemical as it can really jack your RO membrane.

DashingAquatics
I'm looking for my first RO/DI unit. I need it to be 75 and 90 GPD and also would like it to be simple to hook up to a regular sink and faucet in my bathroom. Is there a unit that fits these requirements, or will I need to sacrifice?

Thanks!

Tim

I would go with a 3 stage unit, In chamber one I would go with a 1 micron Carbon Block, Fed to the Membrane and then to the DI chamber. I would do this with a 100GPD membrane / Flow Restrictor and perhaps a Booster Pump depending on your water Pressure.

John Guest makes a great faucet adapter!

have you thought about under your kitchen sink?

Cheers,

MMN

I'm going with the Air Water and Ice Typhoon III. 100GPD with a faucet adapter and hose adapter for $230.00 Shipped. I figured I might as well grab the bigger unit as I'll be upgrading and such.

Thanks for all the help! It made understanding and picking the proper unit much much easier!

AZDesertRat

You asked for the best and thats easy:

http://www.spectrapure.com/email/customer-...eciation.html#1

They also happen to be on sale for $100 off now too! Where else can you find a tested RO membrane, 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter, 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block, full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI with reef specific resins custom blended, a dual inline TDS meter, an inline pressure gauge, capillary tube fow restrictor (and there IS a difference) and a hose adapter for $145.

Never ever get a RO or RO/DI with a 100 GPD Dow Filmtec membrane, its not a 96-98% efficient RO membrane but is in fact a 90% efficient nano filter, huge difference in water quality and DI life.

Don't go the ebay route, with RO/DI you really do get what you pay for. Those small little filters cost more to replace, do not last as long nor filter as well, are harder to find and do not come in the micron ranges most of us prefer for reef quality water. The low initial cost very soon surpasses the cost of a good reef quality unit.

Ask those who have purchased the Spectrapure units what they think of them and if they would do it again.

They also happen to be on sale for $100 off now too! Where else can you find a tested RO membrane, 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter, 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block, full size 20 oz vertical refillable DI with reef specific resins custom blended, a dual inline TDS meter, an inline pressure gauge, capillary tube fow restrictor (and there IS a difference) and a hose adapter for $145.

Never ever get a RO or RO/DI with a 100 GPD Dow Filmtec membrane, its not a 96-98% efficient RO membrane but is in fact a 90% efficient nano filter, huge difference in water quality and DI life.

Don't go the ebay route, with RO/DI you really do get what you pay for. Those small little filters cost more to replace, do not last as long nor filter as well, are harder to find and do not come in the micron ranges most of us prefer for reef quality water. The low initial cost very soon surpasses the cost of a good reef quality unit.

Ask those who have purchased the Spectrapure units what they think of them and if they would do it again.

please, I'm not trying to question your knowledge- but could you please explain how one type of flow restrictor is better than the other.

Thanx

i see you recommending this unit a lot -- is there a reason you like the Spectrapure unit better than seemingly similar RODI units from Bulk Reef Supply or The Filter Guys?

AZDesertRat

Normal flow restrictors are a fixed orfice so cannot be adjusted to conditions. A 750 mL restrictor will not fit all applications, may wate rmay be colder than your or my pressure may be higher or tap TDS lower or higher. Those all will make a restrictor flow differently so no two people will get the same waste flow.

The capillary tube is like a long piece of perforated spaghetti that can be trimmed to length according to your exact conditions. You measure your waste once the unit is installed and then trim the tube accordingl for an exact 4:1 waste ratio. I have had fixed types flow anywhere from 12:1 to as little as 2:1 on the same system and most people don't know to check this as it has a huge impact on bothe RO membrane life and performance. too little waste and it fouls or plugs prematurely. Too much waste and pressure goes down the drain robbing the membrane so it produces both less GPH and lower quality effluent. Plus water bills will be unnecessarily higher.

Spectrapure engineers their systems from the ground up. Its a complete system starting with the absolute rated prefilter which traps 99.9% of everything larger than and including its 0.5 micron size. Nominal rated prefilters which are the norm only have to trap approx 85% of things larger than their micron size and do not even have to stop things at their rated size. If it does not get to the carbon block it allows the carbon to perform as intended and remove chlorine and VOCs. Most units use a larger micon size nominal rated prefilter which forces the carbon block to act as a secondary prefilter which plugs it billions of tiny microscopic pores rendering it useless at adsorbing chlorine. Some include two carbons since they know they are plugging them and thats not good engineering or design.

Spectrapure tests their RO membranes and treats them with a special proprietary process so they produce more and higher quality effluent. They also ship wetted in a special solution unlike others that are off thes shelf dry untested or treated filters.

They also custom blend every ounce of DI resin that leaves their facility, no premixed resins. The SilicaBuster resin is designed and tested for reef applications and is shipped fresh and vacuum sealed in foil.

There are lots of other things like 25 years in the business and always located in the same City and their satisfaction guarantees unlike most others or the amount of data they put on their website free for the taking. Take a look at their home page under Manuals, Tech Support or FAQ's, thye answer hundreds of questions and provide drawings for anything you could imagine hooking up. It works with all systems not just theirs.

I have owned 5 RO or RO/DI units over the years including a Typhoon III and others and there really is no comparison. I am anal about my water quality so keep log books and would be glad to share the data with those interested. The DI life is amazing by comparison and I even borrowed a lab grade conductivity meter long term to test it myself.

I have others I recommend including www.buckeyefieldsupply.com (who also use capillary tube flow restrictors), www.purelyh20.com , www.melevsreef.com and others but none has the same deal right now. You can't touch the $145 complete.

So the typhoon III is now being undecided as AZ comes in and drenches us in RO/DI 101.

I do like the spectra pure. I am still unsure if I need a TDS meter as well as a hose adapter and a faucet adapter. Literally the spectra pure is like a typhoon in GPD only better than that because of its filters?

How long is the life of each canister and how much are replacements?

AZDesertRat

You should not own a RO/DI without having a TDS meter, its the only reliable way to check the efficiency and condition of your RO membrane and DI resin. Color changing resins for the most part are very unreliable and are usually spent way before changing colors.

Replacements and prices are all listed on the sales flyer link I posted earlier. Life span of any prefilter and carbon block regardless of manufacturer or vendor is 6 months. You can stretch this out if you use a pressure gauge to monitor pressure drop and a low level chlorine test kit to monitor for chlorine breakthru, 6 months is an easy thing to remember and works out well.

Yes it is similar to a Typhoon except the membrane is batch tested and produces 90 GPD at 98+% rejection rate vs 100GPD at 90% rejection, the prefilter is a 0.5 micron instead of a 10 micron nominal, it has a single 20,000 gallon 0.5 micron carbon block so lower head loss or pressure drop to the membarne resulting in higher quality and higher GPD, a DI cartridge filled with reef specific DI resin, a capillary tube flow restrictor for an exact 4:1 rather than a fixed one at who know what waste ratio. an inline pressure gauge and the hose bib adapter.

Yes the Typhoon III comes with a faucet adapter and a ASOV valve meter but you could add one of the other or both, still have less invested and have better water quality and longer DI life.

A very important number to remember is for every 2% you can increase the RO membranes rejection or removal efficiency you DOUBLE the life of your DI resin. This is key and is the reason why Spectrapure tests and treats their membranes, their DI lasts like no other. Testing has shown the average off the shelf 75 GPD RO membrane is about 97%. Spectrapure historically shows 98+% for theirs, my personal system which has been over 99.35% since I first bought it so my DI lasts and lasts, and thats in Phoenix with a tap TDS over 800 most times.

bonese, I just noticed where you are from. You might call and talk to Spectrapure about prefilters. The NY area has low TDS but extremely high suspended solids which foul or plug most prefilters very quickly. They have a solution to this and sell the heck out of systems in NY because of it. I am using the same prefilter in my RO/DI and its 18 months old now with only 2 psi pressure drop. NY is currently building some massive water treatment plants and pipelines and are paying huge EPA fines until they are completed.

Archived