Top Shelf Aquatics

Outfitting Sump

bonese

Hey all, So I'm upgrading slowly. I'm at the part where I ask you the people of nano-reef to help me choose my skimmer as well as my return pump. So far the front runner for the skimmer is the: Reef Octopus 150. It's footprint is the largest I can go with an 8X10 fitting in my sump. Are there any suggestions for a different skimmer (Vertex IN 80 etc) with a price range of 250-300 for a 40 breeder.

The return I've been looking at is the Eheim 1260 return for 600GPH roughly. Are there any other pumps that anyone knows are better?

Thanks guys - I look forward to replies as I hope to order this all within the following few days.

As for skimmer my main choice is the Octopus Extreme 160. The footprint is 8X10in so I should have .5 of an inch hanging off to slide it in. I hope that it will fit though as it is going to be a pretty tight fit. Would that be too tight of a fit?

Also in exchange of the eheim 1260 I think I'll be picking up with Mag 7 rated at 700 GPH for my return.

Do these sound good?

As for skimmer my main choice is the Octopus Extreme 160. The footprint is 8X10in so I should have .5 of an inch hanging off to slide it in. I hope that it will fit though as it is going to be a pretty tight fit. Would that be too tight of a fit?

Also in exchange of the eheim 1260 I think I'll be picking up with Mag 7 rated at 700 GPH for my return.

Do these sound good?

You might want to try out the Octopus SRO xp 1000sss .

6.5" Base

9.7" x 7.5' x 19.9"

Neck 3.5"

900lph or 31scfh

How many gallons is your display?

Rupert thanks for the insight into the Super Space Saver series. Now Do you know where I can purchase the Super Reef Octopus 1000sss? Or a 2000 for that matter? Both would fit.

I just purchased the Super Space Saver Octopus XP-2000SSS Cone Skimmer from Premium Aquatics. thanks for the help!

The 1000 would be more than enough. The xp series offers very good performance for the dollar. Plus it offers internal, space saver, and external models. The xp-2000 should be good for a 150g heavy bioload system if you were to upgrade to a larger tank in the future. Congrats on your new baby!!!

Archived