Top Shelf Aquatics

Returning to Reefing

shotgunlew

Hey guys, Im new here, my names Chris. Ive been reefing for the better part of my whole life. My grandfather set me up with my first tank when I was about 3 years old( a little 10 gallon freshie but hey we all gotta start somewhere ) Pretty soon we had 5 Saltwater tanks at his house. Fast forward to the age of 16ish and he sold all of his tanks, I told him I was planning on going to the army and blah blah blah long story short he sold everything. I just got out of the serivce in Feb/2008. My grandfather has grown ill with a lung problem and we decided to build a tank as a last little project. Bought a 12 gallon cube yesterday filled with (20lbs of live sand, 3 lbs of live rock ( added 3.5 more this morning and low and behold theres prolly a good 5-10 little polyps and one huge feather duster as well as these little orangeish redish balls that look like salmon roe (Will post a pic tonight) used distilled water (around8-8.5 gallons) put the surface skimmer on and let it run. My salts been funny (1.024.5-1.026) any idea on how I can treat that? (changed in about 1.5-2 gallons of the water from the reef tank and the place I got the LR already and its at 1.024.5 now )

My other question is how would you run the filter on this thing? ( I took all the media and carbon out, just running bio-balls ) But id like to throw some cheato and a light back there as well as maybe a heater.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Because half of the water came from a couple year old reef tank, how long would you guys guess the cycle would take. IM guessing 2 weeks. Im also thinking of adding another 5lbs of live Fuji Pink live sand and another 10-12lbs of live rock.

Because half of the water came from a couple year old reef tank, how long would you guys guess the cycle would take. IM guessing 2 weeks. Im also thinking of adding another 5lbs of live Fuji Pink live sand and another 10-12lbs of live rock.

So I came home to find a total of 10lbs of live rock 20 lbs of live sand, 1 feather dusters, what appears to be some kind of Small Black Anemone ( or some kind of polyp or soft coral ) 1 reef master test kit, and 2 tank raised clowns (false). I dont think theres a chance the clowns will make it , my test all came back great but I dont see this going down good.....(my buddy bought the stuff as a gift not knowing) we shall see.....

Chris

Adding on to my last post, Being as these are tank raised, They might have a shot, If I remember correctly, tank raised clowns are among the most hardy of fish, great choices to start a cycle....I did a 55 Fish only and day 5 put in a clown....he lived for quite some time(way past the cycle)..Well hopes and dreams (and Prayers)

Chris

:welcome: to N-R

At this point your stuck with the fish.. not terrible not great.. Sounds like the rock you have been getting has been established for a while.. Thats a very good thing in this case (considering the fish)

Watch the water closely.. test morning and night and watch for the ammonia to start rising..

Once it starts to rise start doing water changes.. try to keep your ammonia below 1. 0,5 or less if y ou can manage it.

I would expect with established rock your cycle will be very small 1-2 weeks this also is good since your have a bacterial kick start with the good rock..

Using water from an established tank has far less significance than the rock being established.

The black possible anemone watch it.. If it turns out to be a small brown anemone once it gets comfy it could be aptasia.. if so you will want to get rid of it but dont jump to that yet.. be patient and get a picture if in question.. Many people will help ID what ever it is.

As for your back chambers.. what type of cube is it exactly (biocube?) knowing this will help with possible MODS you may want to make to it.

Bio balls.. remove them once your tank settles.. right now the extra bacterial surface area will help.. once your parameters settle remove the bio balls .. all at once is usually ok since you have plenty of rock in the tank it will compensate quickly. Running some cheato a light and heater in the back .. all great ideas but again knowing the exact cube will help with how to accomplish these.

While the tank is cycling make sure you keep good clean filter floss in there and run a decent amount of carbon they will help remove excess nutrients from the water column so they dont turn foul.

I think is truely awesome that you and your grandfather can still enjoy this time together I am sure you will treasure it forever. I know before my grandmother passed I will never forget the great times we shared. I wish him and you the best of times.

Adding on to my last post, Being as these are tank raised, They might have a shot, If I remember correctly, tank raised clowns are among the most hardy of fish, great choices to start a cycle....I did a 55 Fish only and day 5 put in a clown....he lived for quite some time(way past the cycle)..Well hopes and dreams (and Prayers)

Chris

No fish is a good choice for starting a cycle.. This hobby has come a long ways since the 80's there is a great beginner area (good refresher maybe for ya) and there is plenty of info on current hardware advancements in the hobby.. Good luck and happy reading :)

Thanks for the advice, Everything is still in check this morning, temp was crazy high (put a heater in since with the lights I cant break 72.6, I woke up at 85.6 fish where happy as can be, but I also have a new friend, a white baby starfish the size of my pinky nail and the more I look at it , the black nem is aptasia. Any ideas I have a few small ones in my tank with the rock ( thought baby christmas tree worms or something lol remember ive been out of the loop for a few years )

Chris

:welcome: to N-R

At this point your stuck with the fish.. not terrible not great.. Sounds like the rock you have been getting has been established for a while.. Thats a very good thing in this case (considering the fish)

Watch the water closely.. test morning and night and watch for the ammonia to start rising..

Once it starts to rise start doing water changes.. try to keep your ammonia below 1. 0,5 or less if y ou can manage it.

I would expect with established rock your cycle will be very small 1-2 weeks this also is good since your have a bacterial kick start with the good rock..

Using water from an established tank has far less significance than the rock being established.

The black possible anemone watch it.. If it turns out to be a small brown anemone once it gets comfy it could be aptasia.. if so you will want to get rid of it but dont jump to that yet.. be patient and get a picture if in question.. Many people will help ID what ever it is.

As for your back chambers.. what type of cube is it exactly (biocube?) knowing this will help with possible MODS you may want to make to it.

Bio balls.. remove them once your tank settles.. right now the extra bacterial surface area will help.. once your parameters settle remove the bio balls .. all at once is usually ok since you have plenty of rock in the tank it will compensate quickly. Running some cheato a light and heater in the back .. all great ideas but again knowing the exact cube will help with how to accomplish these.

While the tank is cycling make sure you keep good clean filter floss in there and run a decent amount of carbon they will help remove excess nutrients from the water column so they dont turn foul.

I think is truely awesome that you and your grandfather can still enjoy this time together I am sure you will treasure it forever. I know before my grandmother passed I will never forget the great times we shared. I wish him and you the best of times.

No fish is a good choice for starting a cycle.. This hobby has come a long ways since the 80's there is a great beginner area (good refresher maybe for ya) and there is plenty of info on current hardware advancements in the hobby.. Good luck and happy reading :)

For aptasia all I do is get a cup and boil some water in it in the microwave. then get a syringe and draw up some boiling water.. stick it all right in the tank and douse him. watch where he retracts to (if ya dont get him totally in the first hit) and douse that spot on the rock well.

rinse and repeat for each one you see.

best to get em all done now before you have to worry about corals being harmed by the boiling water or other witches brews you may try.

Boiling water is simple and adds nothing that is not already there unlike other chemical treatments.

Ill give that a shot tonight, Any idea on how I can regulate the temp in the tank ( no heater its to cold heater its like 83 degrees ) On another note, I will be adding a little more live rock, I also was thinking about adding some kind of invert to keep the tank clean. Any advice would be great.

Chris

For aptasia all I do is get a cup and boil some water in it in the microwave. then get a syringe and draw up some boiling water.. stick it all right in the tank and douse him. watch where he retracts to (if ya dont get him totally in the first hit) and douse that spot on the rock well.

rinse and repeat for each one you see.

best to get em all done now before you have to worry about corals being harmed by the boiling water or other witches brews you may try.

Boiling water is simple and adds nothing that is not already there unlike other chemical treatments.

Ill give that a shot tonight, Any idea on how I can regulate the temp in the tank ( no heater its to cold heater its like 83 degrees ) On another note, I will be adding a little more live rock, I also was thinking about adding some kind of invert to keep the tank clean. Any advice would be great.

Chris

Check out John at reefcleaners, he could help you with a clean up crew.

Im wondering what kind of lighting I can replace the stock one with ( the blues suck ). Has anyone replaced or retrofitted a unit in place of the hood ( I did see one guy on here do it but he got pounded on by a bunch of people on here ) So Im either looking for a kit or looking for a already my set up for my nano-12 gal or, Id even be ok just changing out the blues. Thanks again for all the help on this mini reef journey of mine.

Chris

Chris

Chris, :welcome: to nano-reef.

Unfortunately I don't understand this heater issue at all. If I understand it, your lights alone keep the tank at 72.5, so you added a heater, but then it went to 85 and now it's 83?

What type of heater do you have? I would recommend you purchase a heater that has a reliable built-in thermostat. That way you can set it to a specific temperature and the heater will turn on and off automatically to maintain a constant temperature.

As for your fish, do what Degener8 suggested. Watch the ammonia levels carefully and perform frequent water changes. I would guess 25 to to 50% twice per week based on your bio-load (better to play it safe I say). You only need to do this for a few weeks though. If you add more LR at this point though, be sure it is cured as uncured will likely result in an ammonia spike.

For your lights, http://www.nanotuners.com has retrofit kits ready for purchase, or you could look on the all-in-one forum for some other suggestions.

Good luck! Post some pictures when you can.

Does the heater have a dial on it so you can turn it down?

My heater has a mark where 80 degrees is SUPPOSED to be. I have mine quite a bit below that mark because at the mark is 83 degrees. I use a normal aquarium mercury thermometer to track my temps.

If your heater is adjustable just turn it down a notch or 2 at a time until your always sitting between 78-80 degrees.

If your heater is not adjustable .. go get one that is : )

Good luck :haha:

Day: 4

Tank: JBJ 12 Gallon Nano Cube

Update:

Today took a water sample in to my LFS(Upscale Aquatics) in Planefield IL, Great people, Said my water was Perfect, ( As it sits my salts at 1.026 I have 7.5Lbs Of LR That was transported in water, 20 lbs ofLive Sand,50% water from a est tank 50% jewel distilled water, 2 false clowns, and some crazy looking hard mushroom that glow(Looked like a polyp that was retracted that glowed green cant remember there name) . So at this point here goes nothing, I got 1 little shelf of mixed zoas (green, green with a red ring and solid red) and 1 small with with green tipped sea anemone 1 small green mushroom, and 1 rock with around 10 star polyps( so small he gave to me ), 1 bottle of and got 2 gallons of ro/di water. I get home Remove 1 half of a gallon water and swap with Ro/Di water mixed with salt, Introduce the New Editions into the tank and adjust my Seacape, In the mean time I lose the hard green mushroom polyp(was not on a rock blew around from pump, and forget what rock had the star polyps on and cant figure out what rock it is( got a bad migrain ) I then jet to Aquariam Adventure In boilingbrook IL, As today was a 50% off sale, grabbed 1 I believe to be green torch coral for 12 dollars, and 1 small coral banded shrimp for 8 bucks. Pics to Follow~

P.S. What is the best way to take pictures of the tanks~

Chris

lakshwadeep

It's best to stick with the two fish you already have or get a larger tank. By "false" clowns, you mean false perculas, which are ocellaris clowns (ironically ocellarises are much more widespread than perculas).

Your update is a little dense to fully analyze, but it sounds like your rushing things. What are the actual numbers for your "perfect" water? Getting an anemone, if that's what it is, is usually a bad idea.

Go to the photography forum to learn about taking pictures of tanks.

wow day 5 and an anemone. and more coral..

OK so I am gonna say your going to fast.. Laks suggested you might be.. I truely think you are. I surely hope it all goes very well for you and you lose nothing but I urge you to slow down.

You have not even hit a point where you would have a diatom bloom if one was going to happen.

always remember any LFS is there to make money.. so educate yourself on what exactly perfect water is. How to test it and how to read the tests. Ask to see the results with them if you rely on them to testit for you. They want your money.

Slow down and enjoy the ride.. smell the roses so to say.

Good luck

+1 to slow down a bit...

I understand that you have experience with setting up reef tanks and you want to get this thing up and running, but I would hate to see something bad happen!

Welcome Chris and thanks for serving!!!!

Here is a good resource guide for cubes:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

I hope this helps.

As far as the heater goes; can't you just dial it down if its spiking to 83. If not, get a better heater that you can regulate.

SLOW WAY DOWN. I know its hard, but it will be easier on your wallet in the long run. I didn't add anything to my tank until the 6 week point and the water parameters where good. I would not suggest getting an anem. My clowns host my torch coral which looks somewhat like an anem. Maybe something like that would be better for your size tank. Just my $.02.

Can clowns breed with a torch coral? ( Im not intending on breed clowns in such a small tank, doubt its even possible, but just curious?)

Chris

Welcome Chris and thanks for serving!!!!

Here is a good resource guide for cubes:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

I hope this helps.

As far as the heater goes; can't you just dial it down if its spiking to 83. If not, get a better heater that you can regulate.

SLOW WAY DOWN. I know its hard, but it will be easier on your wallet in the long run. I didn't add anything to my tank until the 6 week point and the water parameters where good. I would not suggest getting an anem. My clowns host my torch coral which looks somewhat like an anem. Maybe something like that would be better for your size tank. Just my $.02.

Clownfish breed with other clownfish, not the anemone/coral. I don't believe they need an anemone to breed though.

There's no guarantee on the torch coral hosting the clown either. Other people have had this happen to them, but there are many variables to take into consideration. From what I understand it needs to be a really big torch coral (hard to keep in a small tank because of the sweepers) in order to not be harmed too much by the clownfish.

Archived