SaltCritters.com

Aquaponics

jm82792

Basically I am setting up an aquaponics system,

they work great, you can't get E coli or other nasty things from the water because cold blooded animals do not harbor it and overall it's a great idea that works.

Anyways I was about to test my water,

put it into a cup, left it on the counter for literally 5 seconds,

got my test kit then was looking for the cup.

My Mom drank it,

then I told her, she got really ticked off then i drank it because there shouldn't be anything in the water.

Anyways really there isn't anything you can get from tilapia,

especially because they are clean stock that's been kept by themselves for 3 years.....

Can you get something from them?

I was testing it from a 300 gallon tank with like 20 LBs of tilapia

(about to plumb it into 500 gallons of growing beds),

yes the water is nasty(well the tank is cycling it's murky and stuff)

but there is enough knowledge that it shouldn't do anything.

Fish poo and pee in that water and you are ok with drinking it? Hmmmmmm.

+1

Even if its "clean" like you say it is. Theres still poop in it.

Chemistry class taught me not to drink anything that you don't know exactly what it is. There are a lot of harmful clear liquids...

Safety First!!! LOL

You're a gonner.

Better start making arrangements for yourself and your mom.....

J/K B)

Like twice a year I get water in my mouth from starting siphons... (which is pretty good since I'm siphoning 5 different times a day).

Every time I get a little bit of water in my mouth from a fully established tank, I get a canker sore.

lol.. I love how you drank some after to try to calm her down. We have an aquaponics setup with tilapia and basil plants where I work (I work at a university). I wouldn't be too concerned. The worst that could result is probably nausea/diarrhea. I know I have gotten dirty fish water in my mouth a few times while starting a siphon.. never drank a glass full tho!

BTW, are you planning to drink the water after it runs through the aquaponics setup? Or just supply nutrients to the plants?

Like twice a year I get water in my mouth from starting siphons... (which is pretty good since I'm siphoning 5 different times a day).

Every time I get a little bit of water in my mouth from a fully established tank, I get a canker sore.

saltwater tastes horrible. lol

2hawaians1cup

Seriously, if the 2girls1cup chicks are ok, you'll be fine.

:barf:

LOL how do you know they are ok? They might have died a horrible poo and vomit induced death.

steviejitsu

was it saltwater? if so, isnt it obviously not normal water and you would stop drinking after half a sip?

No i don't it's for the plants.

You get mature lettuce heads from tiny seedlings to mature head in 30 days,

everything tastes better and it's a very nice way to save $$ in a family 8.

I want to do water cress, hot peppers and a ton fo other stuff in my 32 by 4 foot growing area.

Food is expensive in Hawaii,

we(well my parents, I'm 17 try to keep it cheap but it's still $1200 a month out here!

I was buying fish from the guy who owns Friendly Aquaponics,

I told him how totally different it is from reefing,

he took interest and in the end we bartered out a 4 day seminar that's worth a lot of $ for me being his slave by helping him develop a SW aquaponics system.

He also said I'd get a cut of the money if it takes off,

I live a mile from him so it's a likely outcome.

lol.. I love how you drank some after to try to calm her down. We have an aquaponics setup with tilapia and basil plants where I work (I work at a university). I wouldn't be too concerned. The worst that could result is probably nausea/diarrhea. I know I have gotten dirty fish water in my mouth a few times while starting a siphon.. never drank a glass full tho!

BTW, are you planning to drink the water after it runs through the aquaponics setup? Or just supply nutrients to the plants?

saltwater tastes horrible. lol

Hmmmm. Growing food in a fish tank, sounds like a nitrate/phosphate reduction method to me. Are hydroponic peppers hotter than regular peppers?

No idea about the peppers

The reason i am doing it is because things grow mega fast, it tastes better,

you use much less space(64 heads of lettuce in a 4X4 square foot area),

it's like hydroponics without the nutrients and keeping the thing balanced.

Check out the website, the guy has really pioneered it to make it affordable(has done a ton of trail and error),

it's really simple and I'm told that I over think aquaponics by many people.

He has been selling lettuce to Costco right now.......

I'll post some pics of my little system in 2 months when I have vegetables and such.....

friendlyaquaponics.com

Who knows about the water, but why would anyone just pick up a glass of water not knowing how long it's been there or what's in it.

lol why would someone just see a random cup of what looks like water in a cup that they didn't pour and don't know where it came from or how long it's been sitting and decide to drink it? she must have been really thirsty.

edit: opps, my post was a little too similar to fish ace's which i didn't read.

How is the guy planning on setting up the saltwater aquaponics? Salt is toxic to plants, they basically die from osmotic stress. Unless of course they are native to a saltwater environment (which not many food bearing plants, if any are). As you say, the freshwater systems work incredibly well, the study at our university has similar results; extremely quick growth and healthy plants. Good to hear he is paying you though!

lol...you can still get E. coli in an aquaponics systems. Any body of water that is with in 40-140 degrees F can harbor E. coli.

wash your hands after you shi!t lol

Sea Vegetables at $16 a pound.

How is the guy planning on setting up the saltwater aquaponics? Salt is toxic to plants, they basically die from osmotic stress. Unless of course they are native to a saltwater environment (which not many food bearing plants, if any are). As you say, the freshwater systems work incredibly well, the study at our university has similar results; extremely quick growth and healthy plants. Good to hear he is paying you though!

Igreen the generalized though is that fish do not carry/harbor E Coli,

you won't have it unless you have birds/etc crapping in the tank and such.

That's why the aquaponics guy can sell to Costco and has successful gone through all the governments

food safety and such......

I doubt anything will happen, each time i go to the cottage and go swimming i always end up drinking around a cups worth of lake water, which probably has more "dangerous" toxins/chemicals than your tank. Your mom will be fine.

Archived