ReefCleaners.org

DIY metal halide Ideas

jeremy0411

I would like to build a DIY metal halide capable of growing the most demanding corals. acros montis and the whole deal all for as cheap as possible.

All of your ideas are helpful.

tank specs:

weipro magic wave 102 all stock parts

http://en.weipro.com/

HELP!!

:D

eBay...

I looked thoroughly into modifying an outdoor halogen fixture but it's difficult to find the right size HQI bulb and you still have to buy a ballast.

I just went ahead and found a good 250w setup on eBay and it comes ready to go! The reflectors are much better, the design is better (for heat dispersion) and the mounting options are way better.

Good luck though.

You could always do this: DIY LumenArcs and use a Phoenix 14k DE but you still nees a ballast - the HQI bulbs are really inexpensive if you know where to look - (hint: $49.95 ea and if you buy 3 the ship is free) But you will need to place it up high off the water, about 14"-16"

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

thanks guys

its much appreciated.

what is the most I should spend to put a MH on my tank?

also, recommended watts?

so there are three parts to a basic halide: lumenarc, ballast and bulb. How much is a ballast? and can I buid it myself?

and thanks for the tips on the bulb lemonyx ;)

You could always do this: DIY LumenArcs and use a Phoenix 14k DE

If you use a double ended (DE) bulb, you would need to use a reflector with a glass shield for UV protection. Single ended (SE) bulbs do not need the additional protection as the bulb has a UV shield integral to its design. If you go SE ,this puts you at a 250W bulb to have a decent choice. This may be too much for softies/LPS in your tank but ideal for many acropora and other SPS. The huge increase in heat generated by a 250W fixture in comparison with the current lighting may be a problem

I would not bother building a ballast, building the enclosure would be a pain. Also, if you buy an enclosure for it off the shelf, you could find the costs run more than a ready built unit. The real savings are to be made on the reflector, provided you use a quality design like the one posted above.

Worth the effort? In my opinion, not for an aquarium with only a single bulb. For a large tank with several halide lights, the potential benefit is much greater.

If you are in the US, check out ReefGeek for a good range of quality lighting fixtures, parts and accessories. If you are in Europe, try FastLight.

If you use a double ended (DE) bulb, you would need to use a reflector with a glass shield for UV protection. Single ended (SE) bulbs do not need the additional protection as the bulb has a UV shield integral to its design. If you go SE ,this puts you at a 250W bulb to have a decent choice. This may be too much for softies/LPS in your tank but ideal for many acropora and other SPS. The huge increase in heat generated by a 250W fixture in comparison with the current lighting may be a problem

I would not bother building a ballast, building the enclosure would be a pain. Also, if you buy an enclosure for it off the shelf, you could find the costs run more than a ready built unit. The real savings are to be made on the reflector, provided you use a quality design like the one posted above.

Worth the effort? In my opinion, not for an aquarium with only a single bulb. For a large tank with several halide lights, the potential benefit is much greater.

If you are in the US, check out ReefGeek for a good range of quality lighting fixtures, parts and accessories. If you are in Europe, try FastLight.

what if im in canada lol... looking at a premade setup for cheap but well see how it does.

heres a link: http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/spotlight.aspx

LMK

as for how much you should spend, i know very little about the DIY route, but heres some guidelines for what some used fixtures would run you (my estimates for the marketplace forum pricing):

150W JBJ viper - $120-$130

250W cheap brand pendant (w/ matching ballast) - $130-$150

250W quality brand pendant (w/ matching ballast) - $140-$160

These prices are for fixtures that have bulbs that are almost in need of replacement. Take about $10-$20 off and thats what you might pay with no bulb included.

if you're not gonna beat these prices in your DIY, I recommend just buying used.

You already have a 4 bulb t5 setup under the hood. With the right bulb combination you should be able to keep the corals you listed above. really not sure why your wanting to go Metal halide unless its for shimmer or some other effect.

You would probably be better served adding some ecoxotic ponorama strips with your t5's or some other LED variation. I think that combo would be considerably more effective than switching to MH only.

You already have a 4 bulb t5 setup under the hood. With the right bulb combination you should be able to keep the corals you listed above. really not sure why your wanting to go Metal halide unless its for shimmer or some other effect.

You would probably be better served adding some ecoxotic ponorama strips with your t5's or some other LED variation. I think that combo would be considerably more effective than switching to MH only.

Interested in this option. I dont know anything about what you mean here but would love some more details.

Just looked it up and that sounds like a good idea. Cheapish and will retrofit nicely. sounds like my new plan. I am very suprised that the acropora would survive.

future stocking list:

montipora

acropora

birdsnest

digitata

lots of zoas

and pulsing xenia

thanks for the help guys

chucktdbm321

this really looks like normal reef PC lighting and they compare to a household powercompact bulb so im not sure about this one

yea I know what you mean but sounds like a possibility... I just dont want to be a guinea pig on this one :P

I couldnt find a darn thing on the web but ill keep looking

also I have a 20 gallon with 130 watts of power compact lighting. Is that good enough to put acropora/birdsnest in?

thanks again guys :D

yea I know what you mean but sounds like a possibility... I just dont want to be a guinea pig on this one :P

I couldnt find a darn thing on the web but ill keep looking

also I have a 20 gallon with 130 watts of power compact lighting. Is that good enough to put acropora/birdsnest in?

thanks again guys :D

anyone?

i wouldnt buy those bulbs you linked to, they are just high-wattage PC bulbs as far as I can tell. I only looked for a minute or two though.

what he means is this:

a company called Ecoxotic makes LED strips which you can add to supplement your current lighting.

http://ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting.html

the site isnt loading for me right now but thats the link.

thanks, I already checked it out but I think I might just buy a red sea max because I know that it can handle sps and Im happy with what I see with it. It will take me a while to save up as Im only 16 but definetly worth it.

on a different topic , does anyone know where to buy a red sea max in canada?

:lol:

Archived