Pod Your Reef

Small coral ID and help

spleenman

I have 2 of these (so far) that I've found in my tank. They're tiny, less than 1cm x 1cm (0.4" x 0.4").

I'd like to know what they are, and if they look alive or not. I haven't been able to tell yet.

They're on the side of one of my pieces of live rock, so not getting any direct light. I'm wondering if I should try to tsave them, if they should be moved, if they need anything special!

Thanks

lakshwadeep

Have you touched it?

It's hard to tell from the picture if there are any polyps; it could just be a sponge (many of which prefer to avoid direct light).

No, I haven't touched it. I'm pretty sure I can't get my finger to where it is without moving the rock around more than I'd like to.

I did a bit of googling on sponges, though, and it does bear a resemblance to some of the "encrusting" sponges. I'll just keep an eye on them then I guess and see if they develop noticeably...

Thanks as always lakshwadeep!

I was taking more shots of other hitchhikers and decided to give this another try at getting a better shot. Does this help with the ID?

post-50892-1272003798_thumb.jpg

I was taking more shots of other hitchhikers and decided to give this another try at getting a better shot. Does this help with the ID?

post-50892-1272003798_thumb.jpg

looks like a sponge to me.

Archived