• Created
  • Last Reply

thanks guys

I'm running 4x24w t5

ati blue+

ati aquablue special

aquascience 22000k

ati blue+

its too slim for the tank. i plan on upgrading to a 6x24w powermodule when funds are available

i need some suggestions for a skimmer that would fit in a 10g sump. right now im still using my old cpr bak pak with a new pump so its still skimming ok. i was thinking about the vertex in-80 but im not sure if itll fit in the sump

NaClCrocodile

SWC 120/160 Cone skimmer. I've seen one in a 10G sump, so I know it can be done and I don't think there could be a better one for a nano.

nice tank love the rock work before the corals added though. looked cleaner. =)

i hear you, i had to add some of my smaller pieces from my old 10g and im eventually gonna take them out once the new rock is seeded well enough

thanks croc, ill look into the swc120

Nice... mind if I ask... is that just a taller back glass or a separate back wall? What's the purpose for the difference in height?

woo nice tank! i like your cans!

thanks!

Hell yeah.

;)

How's the noise on that?

the waterfall makes no noise whatsoever. when the watercomes down its at an angle therefore it doesnt distrub the surface. the loudest thing i hear is my skimmer. even the overflows make a quiet sound, nothing bad at all.

Nice... mind if I ask... is that just a taller back glass or a separate back wall? What's the purpose for the difference in height?

thanks, the back glass is a thicker and taller glass for the cascade water wall. the column in the middle is higher so that there is a waterfall effect.

Im running a tunze nano, its really small and rated up to 52 gallon. 4.9" L x 2.1" W x 13.3" H. Worked great and leaves me alot of room for extra Live rock in the sump (page one of my thread shows a pic of how small it is on my 10g sump)

the swc120 is rated 90g light load, 70g medium and 55 heavy and foot print Foot Print: 7.25*6*18

But I guess if your planning to go real heavy on the bioload you may want to consider an overkill skimmer

Looks great man. Love the setup.

When those corals fill in this will look awesome!

thanks!

nice scape :)

tyvm, i was inspired by AJ_Tsin

Im running a tunze nano, its really small and rated up to 52 gallon. 4.9" L x 2.1" W x 13.3" H. Worked great and leaves me alot of room for extra Live rock in the sump (page one of my thread shows a pic of how small it is on my 10g sump)

the swc120 is rated 90g light load, 70g medium and 55 heavy and foot print Foot Print: 7.25*6*18

But I guess if your planning to go real heavy on the bioload you may want to consider an overkill skimmer

i think if anything, im going to keep a low bio load for now then up to a swc160

AdriftQuasar

Really, you can't overskim. Kind of like you can't really have too much light.

Really, you can't overskim. Kind of like you can't really have too much light.

I would have to disagree. I mean if there is no budget, I guess you can get the most expensive/high performance skimmer for your tank. But ultimately you would get something practical and for the size of the tank.

But keep in mind foam fractionating does not pick and choose what nutrients it brings up to the skim cup.

As for having too much light, with some of the hobbies current lighting methods, light comes with heat... Bleaching of corals can occur and light in combination with poor parameters can cause unwanted algae. If one cannot have too much light, why not run lights 24/7 (taking out the account of the electricity bill)?

MTC :happy:

AdriftQuasar

There is no evidence to support the idea of "overskimming" being possibly.

Light anything photosynthetic 24/7 and it will die. Photosynthesis requires a dark cycle to complete.

Up until recently, I had 250w of MH over my 20H. Tank flourished. However, this is not the place for this discussion...

Getting back on topic, I had thought about getting one of these tanks for a while, but I could never find any informative reviews on it. So thanks for taking the plunge for me. Have you been happy with it? Those acans look more than pleased.

adrift, i am happy with it. its a real simple set up and it works swell. the waterfall creates no noise which was my worry, but its silent, like i said the only thing i hear are my return pump and skimmer. as for running a skimmer bigger than what you need, im totally ok with it. but the 160 is using a better pump which is why ive decided to try and get one of those. i need to upgrade my light before that though

AdriftQuasar

Still planning on the powermodule for that light upgrade? I just recently switched from MH to T5's. I certainly like the color more and the ability to customize my color, though I miss the shimmer I got with the MH.

Still planning on the powermodule for that light upgrade? I just recently switched from MH to T5's. I certainly like the color more and the ability to customize my color, though I miss the shimmer I got with the MH.

i might probably just go with a sunpower 6x24. i know mh is the easier route but it gots hot here in summer so i dont think its an option for me. as for shimmer i plan on running some reefbrite led's to supplement the tank afterwards too

Nemo Niblets
Up until recently, I had 250w of MH over my 20H. Tank flourished.

Can I ask what bulb and reflector?

I am running a 250w 20k EVC with a Lumenmax 3 reflector and icecap ballast over my 28 gallon nanocube. I find it is too much light for some corals. Some of the ricordeas on the sand melted away. The ones that remain are not expanded all the way. If I used a bulb with a bit more PAR, it would be too much.

AdriftQuasar

Honestly, I think T5 is just the way to go, much more efficient and a lot less heat to worry about.

My MH was a DIY kit from hellolights. I used a 12k Reeflux at one point and a 14k Phoenix. The reflector was just a basic parabolic reflector, nothing special.

Archived