ReefCleaners.org

12in Rimless Eye-candy Cube

jjjo

WoW ... I can't believe I have missed this tank thread until now ... Such a beautiful tank (the build itself) and those corals you have! That is the most beautiful Orange Hammer I have seen ... usually the ones I have seen around NY are slightly bleached out ... nice none the less but they don't seem to be overly happy in the tanks they are in.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WoW ... I can't believe I have missed this tank thread until now ... Such a beautiful tank (the build itself) and those corals you have! That is the most beautiful Orange Hammer I have seen ... usually the ones I have seen around NY are slightly bleached out ... nice none the less but they don't seem to be overly happy in the tanks they are in.

thanks!

I've seen a lot of the aussie orange wall hammers pass through upstate NY. And i totally understand what you are saying. they are nice though. but when i saw the branching orange hammer at my LFS, I HAD to HAVE IT.

It has been in captivity for almost a year now. :)

-dan

how is your growth under bluer bulbs like that?

very good actually. I tested PAR on the blue bulbs, and its literally identical to the ATI 15k aquablue spezial daylight bulb. Personally I'm not a fan of the white look, so naturally, I went with the 22k bulbs.

I also have a fiji purple bulb, which packs a whole lot of PAR.

My reef wave purple bulb, is just an accent bulb, and literally has no PAR.

-dan

I'm curious about the Fighting Conch you use to keep your sandbed clean.

Reefcleaners sells Florida Fighting Conchs, is this the kind you have?

Johnmaloney recommends that they only be put in tanks that are 50g or larger because of how big they get, so I was wondering if yours was smaller.

How much does it disrupt the sandbed as it moves around?

Do you ever have problems with him knocking over or moving frags that are placed on the sandbed?

NaClCrocodile

What do you attest the long tentacles and fluorescent green of your Todd's Torch to? It sounded like you recommended running the tank a little dirty.

What do you attest the long tentacles and fluorescent green of your Todd's Torch to? It sounded like you recommended running the tank a little dirty.

flow and lighting is good for the torch. I tend to notice, moderate indirect laminar flow. Also some torches are simply shorter than others.

As far as waterquality is concerned... my params are as follows:

SG - 1.027

Temp - 80F

PH - around 8.1 depending on time of day

ALK - 9.5-10dkh

Phosphate - .04

The water isn't "dirty". The previous owner of the newer todds, had TOO clean of water. If the phosphate dips BELOW .02, I notice corals dont look good, and color is bad. including SPS.

-dan

I'm curious about the Fighting Conch you use to keep your sandbed clean.

Reefcleaners sells Florida Fighting Conchs, is this the kind you have?

Johnmaloney recommends that they only be put in tanks that are 50g or larger because of how big they get, so I was wondering if yours was smaller.

How much does it disrupt the sandbed as it moves around?

Do you ever have problems with him knocking over or moving frags that are placed on the sandbed?

Not sure where my conch originated from. It will only grow to about 4-5 inches. It does move smaller zoa frags occasionally that are on the sandbed.

It doesnt climb on my rock or glass, so bulldozing isn't really an issue.

I do know, queen conchs, grow almost 16 inches. They would be WAY too big for a reef tank.

-dan

NaClCrocodile

What do you test your phosphate with? I've heard most tests are very inaccurate, only heard the Hannah one was good.

What do you test your phosphate with? I've heard most tests are very inaccurate, only heard the Hannah one was good.

Hanna Photometer to test phosphate.

We need more pix of the tank for pg 6 :P

:)

I wish I had this rock to make my tank like this!

Coral Gumdrop fish would look great in this tank, i saw one once and was very interesting fish to observe!

Bro tanks are awsome. I gotta the start of a new tank tomorrow. Hopefully mine will look half as good as yours.

boosted chemist

your tank is sweet man, so envious. Im in buffalo ny, so if u ever wanna swap frags lmk. Where do you shop locally?

your tank is sweet man, so envious. Im in buffalo ny, so if u ever wanna swap frags lmk. Where do you shop locally?

I shop locally, at Areefcreation, ABC pets, The reef shoppe, and other local hobbyists.

We need more pix of the tank for pg 6 :P

The mother colony :)

marijane.jpg

Bro tanks are awsome. I gotta the start of a new tank tomorrow. Hopefully mine will look half as good as yours.

thanks!

I love this tank.

Thanks!!

More zoas:

Whammin watermelons, Candy apple red in the background, and a red hornet.

redhornet.jpg

more zoa pics coming soon :) I think the time is coming to show off some REAL zoas!

thanks for looking all!

-dan

nanoreef-R

:wub:

I need to make a trip upstate for coral. Totally worth it. For the money I spend here on regular coral I could buy a colony of red hornets <_<

NaClCrocodile

Uh oh, he's moved from acans (because they were too expensive) to high end zoos (I've lost your logic lol).

Uh oh, he's moved from acans (because they were too expensive) to high end zoos (I've lost your logic lol).

LOL!

Nah, the zoos are the only coral that I like, which will handle the higher amount of light I'm giving them. If I put acans, where the zoos are, they will be some BAD looking acans lol. AND zoos are pretty easy to come by. Hope to have all the rockwork filled in with zoas.

:wub:

I need to make a trip upstate for coral. Totally worth it. For the money I spend here on regular coral I could buy a colony of red hornets <_<

:) some great LFS's up here in upstate NY! some great hobbyists too :)

Archived