Innovative Marine Aquariums

diy tank buld tip?

dennymcc

im planning my first tank build. 24L x12w x 12 high. works out to 15 gallons give or take. the botom and sides im planning on 1/4" glass, with the back being acrylic.

what im looking for is any tips, suggestions that you more experianced members can provide

this is going to be a present for my sons birthday in july. he done got the reef bugg to

thanks in advance

Denny

Why are you making the back acrylic? ease of drilling? I would make all glass or all acrylic personally the 2 dont bond well to each other.

preference of material is up to you. If you go glass just drill the panel before assembly.. its not that hard.

Why are you making the back acrylic? ease of drilling? I would make all glass or all acrylic personally the 2 dont bond well to each other.

preference of material is up to you. If you go glass just drill the panel before assembly.. its not that hard.

thanks ill do that. will 1/4" be thick enough?

The much-hated Petco stores sell an AGA 15 gallon with those exact dimensions. It might be a more cost effective and less aggravating approach.

The much-hated Petco stores sell an AGA 15 gallon with those exact dimensions. It might be a more cost effective and less aggravating approach.

might have to go that way,thanks. im getting a price on getting glass cut though just in case

definantly cheeper to go the petco route. thanks for the heads up on that

No problem, I wanted a custom 20" cube with 3 Starphire panels and the cheapest quote I got was $750+, regular glass was still $300+.

If you want to go acrylic I'd recommend Delvie's Plastics. I've purchased from them before, they cut to size (perfectly), don't rape you on the price and have great customer service. Building acrylic tanks isn't hard at all, there's many web articles with good instructions.

Good luck whichever route you decide to go.

Archived