AMAYEU

I have a 12 gallon nano with the following:

2 Nassarius

3 Cerrith

2 Blue Hermit Crabs

2 Peppermint Shrimps

others

2 Ocellaris

What is the maximum amount of blue hermit crabs that I can to my tank?

Thanks

danthenewreefman

I bought 10 for a 40 system, and I already wish I didn't; they're abusive on other members of CUC and nip at coral. I give um a good smack with the turkey baster when on a coral to show them who is boss.

Not really that bad, they did take care of my Hair Algae, but I honestly prefer a mix of species of snails , if I had to do over again. Nass. Snails are excellent scavengers.

i like a few hermits to tackle the long hair algae that snails wont usually eat. I say 5-10 max. They are fun to watch, but too many of them can wreak havok

AND nass of course

remember the nass ONLY eat meat, so you dont need very many of them either

so i just got a shipment in of 10 nas snails, i had cyno all over my sand. over night, the cyno is basically gone!

i read somewhere that crabs aren't really necessary but i do like the emerald crab in my tank. but yea heard you either get one thats good, or ones that bad that pick at corals

so i just got a shipment in of 10 nas snails, i had cyno all over my sand. over night, the cyno is basically gone!

Must have been from them stirring the sand, or just a coincidence, cuz they sure didn't eat it. What other CUC do you have?

Must have been from them stirring the sand, or just a coincidence, cuz they sure didn't eat it. What other CUC do you have?

yea it is from stirring the sand, cuz all i have is 1 snail, 2 regular hermit crabs that dont do anything, and 1 emerald crab that eats hair algae

chucktdbm321

just sent one to the cermamic bowl! lol it would constantly pick at my gsp to the point where they would not open for days they are just such little PITA... Snails all the way

just sent one to the cermamic bowl! lol it would constantly pick at my gsp to the point where they would not open for days they are just such little PITA... Snails all the way

thats what the fuge prison is for... :lol:

danthenewreefman
thats what the fuge prison is for... :lol:

I been thinking about moving them all to the fuge, I get muck on the bottom, then I put a couple snails down there for a few days and it goes away. Guessing the hermits would do the same?

I have 10 little blue legs in 44g system. I think that may be just right or a little to many even. But they were the only thing eating the long hair algae, so its a cost-gain question that each has to answer on their own.

Right they're just mixing the sand up, the stuff is now just under the surface of the sand.

These guys are a much better option:

4439024497_83acc8eee3_o.jpg

They don't fight each other or kill snails. They're just damn hard workers.

danthenewreefman

I think crabs in general are just opportunistic feeders, they'll eat any opportunity that passes them by, but if choices are available they'll take the easiest of the options.

Why do you say they're a better option, I have no experience with them, so please tell tell! I know they'll all kill a snail for a larger house, but in your experience are these red-legs more peaceful?

Why do you say they're a better option, I have no experience with them, so please tell tell! I know they'll all kill a snail for a larger house, but in your experience are these red-legs more peaceful?

Like I said, they don't fight with each other and they don't kill snails. The ones I posted are more than happy to use the shells I provide for them instead of killing my snails. Not all hermit crabs are murderous sons of #####es. Scarlet reef hermits are another option, though they're more just for show since they literally don't do ####.

My hermit crabs are the workhorses of my cleanup crew. My snails are there to help clean the glass and look cool. To be honest a lot of times I feel like I'd prefer an all hermit crab crew as the snails just get in my way when I inevitably have to clean the glass since they can't keep it clean. Then I knock them off and have to flip them over so they don't die on me. Or maybe I should just ditch astreas and go for all ceriths.

Haberdasher

For those of us that are ultra noobish...what type of hermit is this?

-Dave

danthenewreefman

red leg hermit crab

Like I said, they don't fight with each other and they don't kill snails. The ones I posted are more than happy to use the shells I provide for them instead of killing my snails. Not all hermit crabs are murderous sons of #####es. Scarlet reef hermits are another option, though they're more just for show since they literally don't do ####.

My hermit crabs are the workhorses of my cleanup crew. My snails are there to help clean the glass and look cool. To be honest a lot of times I feel like I'd prefer an all hermit crab crew as the snails just get in my way when I inevitably have to clean the glass since they can't keep it clean. Then I knock them off and have to flip them over so they don't die on me. Or maybe I should just ditch astreas and go for all ceriths.

Oh an Myrtle beach, that is where we go for the beach, lucky man to live in such a place!

on you with this one!

I have 1 red leg hermit a bumble bee conch and a bumble bee snail in my 3g nano. All it does it pick pick pick, never touches the snails.

In my 24g Ap I have 6 red legs, 5 ceriths, 3 nerites, 2 ninja stars and all of the snails stay happily in their shells. The hermits like to change a lot, so I suggest putting quite a few in your tank for them to choose from. One of mine will change about once a week, but there's 2 shells that he really loves so he usually just switches between those. Some of them are WAY too big for their shells, but I see them change into one then change back to the tiny one all the time. They stick out of the shells and can't retract all the way into them, but hey to each his own lol.

For those of us that are ultra noobish...what type of hermit is this?

-Dave

They go by lots of names. Red legged, Mexican red legged, Cortez Red legged...

Oh an Myrtle beach, that is where we go for the beach, lucky man to live in such a place!

It's not as glamorous as you might think, but we like it here. We went to college here and just recently moved back 6 months ago :)

on you with this one!

We'll start a movement!

Just for the record, my astrea snails work just as hard as my hermits do. I just get annoyed with them because they're always in my way.

danthenewreefman
They go by lots of names. Red legged, Mexican red legged, Cortez Red legged...

It's not as glamorous as you might think, but we like it here. We went to college here and just recently moved back 6 months ago :)

We'll start a movement!

Just for the record, my astrea snails work just as hard as my hermits do. I just get annoyed with them because they're always in my way.

Any good LFS down there at Myrtle beach? I go every year 3rd week in September, and at least one week in summer. My aunt used to live there too, so I know how tiring the traffic can get in summer... and how ghostly the town is in the dead of winter. We stay in Garden City.

Any good LFS down there at Myrtle beach? I go every year 3rd week in September, and at least one week in summer. My aunt used to live there too, so I know how tiring the traffic can get in summer... and how ghostly the town is in the dead of winter. We stay in Garden City.

Nass. Snails are hard workers too! They'll all 5 congregate on a coral feeding in my sand with in seconds of turning the lights off. They are very responsive to food in the water. I have to beat them off the coral so it can finish its food. But ONLY the hermits took quick care of the long Hair Algae.

www.seacrittersdepot.com

The best LFS in at least a 200 mile radius. He's in North Myrtle Beach, has weird hours, and the store is the culmination of 4 storage units, but he has awesome livestock and he quarantines all his fish.

Archived