Top Shelf Aquatics

Circulation...Im confused.

BonnieC

Im trying to research a bit to figure out everything Ill need for the tank I want (Neo Nano). Im getting confused by a few things regarding flow and circulation.

I see a lot of posts about vortech mp10, mp20, and mp40. Are those the same thing as Koralina powerheads? What is the difference?

Also, do I need more than one thing for a shallow tank like that? (24 x 24 x 14) There is a pretty big price difference on this stuff and I dont want to buy what I dont need...but I dont want to buy something worthless either. (I plan to keep corals and clams eventually.)

Also, how do you measure what the flow is in a tank?

Thanks!

I see a lot of posts about vortech mp10, mp20, and mp40. Are those the same thing as Koralina powerheads? What is the difference?

No. A Koralia is an inexpensive (but great) constant powerhead, they come in different sizes for different flow rates. A Vortech costs about 6x more and is an advanced, controlable wavemaker powerhead which the motor itself is OUTSIDE the aquarium, and only the impeller is inside.

Also, do I need more than one thing for a shallow tank like that? (24 x 24 x 14) There is a pretty big price difference on this stuff and I dont want to buy what I dont need...but I dont want to buy something worthless either. (I plan to keep corals and clams eventually.)

thats about 35-40 gallons? I would recommend multiple powerheads to get flow goin all around that big wide tank. you could have 2 K2's or an MP10 of course

I have 2 K1's each are 400gph, I also have a 100gph HOB filter and the return from my fuge is about 80gph, so I have 980 gph total, or about 60x turnover (which is a lot, but my tank loves it) Shoot for at least 20x turnover, or as high as 100x.. it all depends how you plan to stock your tank !

What would be the benfits of something like a mp10 over 2 powerheads? Is it just the wave and does it make that much of a difference?

I'd like to make sure I have what I need to stock clams and any type of coral. Can you have too much flow?

Thanks!

You can have too much for some corals but your rockwork will provide some sheltered areas for those corals. You will get a better overall flow pattern with a MP-10 thoughout the entire tank IMO than using to constant flow PH's. I have 2 Koralia 2's (600 gph each) and a 300 gph HOB filter in my 40 breeder with no SPS and I still need more flow. the reason I say this is because when I blow my rocks off every week a lot of detritus come off of them. If I had better flow, I would not have that much collecting and it would remain suspended and be filtered out.

I would love an MP-10 but fear my 2-year old will pull the dry side off. I am considering replacing my Koalias with 2 Tunze 6025 PH's but still not sure. HTHs

like i said, certain corals like certain flow.

water movement is how corals get food so having the right amount is important.

Too little and you will have excess algae build up in stagnant areas and corals might not get the nutrients they need.

Too much can actually hurt them. My frogspawn expands and waves in the flow because it likes where it is, it will shrink up if its getting too much flow. Zoas are the same way. most corals will be irritated and close if they are getting blasted too much

Ah thanks, that makes much more sense now.

Would one mp10 be enough? And then any corals not liking the flow could be blocked by rocks?

Also, I havent heard about blowing off the rocks before. Is that something that will need to be done?

Im trying to research a bit to figure out everything Ill need for the tank I want (Neo Nano). Im getting confused by a few things regarding flow and circulation.

Thanks!

One MP10 should be more than enough for that tank size.

Archived