Cultivated Reef

Cyanobacterial issues

cincyJames

My tank has been running for a little over a month it is a 10 gallon nao with a 10 gallon sump-running chaeto. I have recently noticed red slime algae growing on a large amount of rock and on my sand. I have read through numerous threads to see what the culprit is and how to resolve it-these are my issues.

All my readings for the tank were as follows last night

Temp- 78

Ammonia- 0-.25

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 0

PH- 8.2

Calcium 420

Phosphates- 0-.50

KH- 11

I love how the first 3 colors for api all look exactly the same ;)

1. Red slime algae is usually caused by excess nutrients- I have never fed my tank. The only nutrients which are present i would assume are from my tank cycling with my new live rock in it which had some die-off. I have done 3 water changes since I set the tank up to try to remove dieing organics my last water change was on sunday about 4 gallons trying to suck as much out and off the rocks as possible. I have a small cuc of 2 snails and 2 blue legs from my 75 gallon. Would adding more help?

2. Lighting- I did recently notice that light was coming in through a window for about 2 hours in the morning when i am usually at work. i covered the spot light was leaking through and it seemed to help for a few days, but the algae has seemed to catch back up. Also i have the lights on for 12 hours on and then my sump light kicks on for 12 hours. Should i reduce the light time for my display

3. Circulation- I have between 15-20x turnover in my 10 gallon, but there still seems to be a few dead spots. I added an additional powerhead for more circulation through the tank, but even when it is blasting at the rocks at about 165 gph it still seems to be holding on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I read many different threads on the issue and wanted to see if there was anything i was doing specifically wrong.

What kind of lighting and how old is it ? How long has it been cycling ? what kind of water are you using for your changes ?

Your tank is still young so this is expected.

You should try getting rid of that po4.

Also 12 hours is way long.... corals don't need that much. 6-7 hrs is plenty.

The light im using is an 18" Current USA Nova Extreme T5 36 watts jus t got it before i set the tank up. It cycled after about the 3rd-4th week, but i feel like there has still been a slight amount of ammonia present, not sure if it is just the fact the color between 0-.25 is like the difference between light yellow-green and yellow-green

I have a feeling the po4 might have been coming from my h20. It is RO/DI from my lfs, but last week when i was in i was talking to the guy as he was changing the filters, so the last couple changes may have been on the tail end of the filter media's life :)

I had a feeling it might have been to long for the light to be on. i have it set with a relay and a timer so when the time kicks one off the other kicks on. Would 8 hours for the display and 16 for the sump be ok for the chaeto. there really isnt an off with the relay

The light im using is an 18" Current USA Nova Extreme T5 36 watts jus t got it before i set the tank up. It cycled after about the 3rd-4th week, but i feel like there has still been a slight amount of ammonia present, not sure if it is just the fact the color between 0-.25 is like the difference between light yellow-green and yellow-green

I have a feeling the po4 might have been coming from my h20. It is RO/DI from my lfs, but last week when i was in i was talking to the guy as he was changing the filters, so the last couple changes may have been on the tail end of the filter media's life :)

I had a feeling it might have been to long for the light to be on. i have it set with a relay and a timer so when the time kicks one off the other kicks on. Would 8 hours for the display and 16 for the sump be ok for the chaeto. there really isnt an off with the relay

8 should be fine. Work on getting the phosphates to 0. (Maybe run some chemipure elite). Keep up with the water changes and you should get rid of it.

oh actually i put some elite in there on sunday night as well as phos-ban. it had seemed a little higher then that last week when i was checking. i will test it tonight to see if it has dropped to zero yet.

So reducing the light time and hopefully my lfs having new filters for there RO/DI should help also. Anything else

Your tank is still young so this is expected.

You should try getting rid of that po4.

Also 12 hours is way long.... corals don't need that much. 6-7 hrs is plenty.

+1 your tank is really young and it's probably still going through it's cycle. It takes several months for a tank to fully mature. Cyano is pretty normal in most of our systems. You could increase flow by adding another Koralia or just wait and suck it up daily and change out a little water. It doesn't really cause problems unless it's covering your corals and it looks nasty.

Regarding lighting schedules.. I have my lights running about 10 hours on all three of my tanks with MH's.. Some people say it's long and other run theres for 12 hours. If you don't have anything in your tank I'd cut back to 6-8 hours and adjust from there. You'll notice that most tropical areas in the world run about 10-12 hour sunrise to sunset periods. However, they also have days where the sun is covered by clouds, storms, etc... Good luck and enjoy your tank.. Just suck up the cyano and do small daily water changes. That'll cure your problem..

Cyano is tough. The thing about these algaes (the blue-greens), is that they can do surprisingly well even in environments with very little nutrients. That and not very many animals eat it...

So just how few nutrients? I would bet that our consumer-grade test kits could not pick up the amount it's so small. A reading of 0 on our test kit would probably not read 0 with a lab-grade test.

So that being said, I would stick with the usual stuff. You say you only have ~160gph? Is that from a single powerhead/filter? I would recommend that if you haven't already, purchase a small propeller pump. Something like a Koralia nano or maybe a K1. The K-nano will put out 250 or so gph, but it has a very wide, dispersed flow, so you won't get a sandstorm, but you will provide enough flow for your LR to do it's work.

+1 to reefer916. Suck it out with some small tubing or even a turkey baster. Suck it out and keep up with your water changes. I would also agree that cutting down your lighting time to 6-10 hours would help as well.

So to sum it up:

1) Increase your flow

2) manually remove it

3) Keep up on your maintenance

4) Give it some time

Archived