Pod Your Reef

Best HOB Skimmer for the buck

chrssprngs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i purchased a CPR Aeroforce based on a recommendation by someone on this forum. Thing works great, can't believe the amount of gunk it removes from my tank. Water is always crystal clear.

Nemo Niblets
Warner Marine H1 is supposed to be amazing.

^^ Firsthand experience. Best skimmer you could put on that tank.

Thanks for the input. I am not running a sump or a filter on this tank so a quallity skimmer is crucial.

Is this a 20 liter tank or 20gallon long? If it is 20gallon go with the CPR AeroForce. The warner marine H1 will be overkill if you have a light to medium load. If you intend to have alot of corals (mixed), then the H1 will be up your alley.

^^ Firsthand experience. Best skimmer you could put on that tank.

How is the H1 treating you Nemo? Did it quiet down some more?

disaster999
Is this a 20 liter tank or 20gallon long? If it is 20gallon go with the CPR AeroForce. The warner marine H1 will be overkill if you have a light to medium load. If you intend to have alot of corals (mixed), then the H1 will be up your alley.

:blink: what the hell? the cpr aeroforce is rated for 75gal, the WM H1 is rated for 40gal. how would the WM be overkill? also, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to skimmers. you simply cant over skim.

:blink: what the hell? the cpr aeroforce is rated for 75gal, the WM H1 is rated for 40gal. how would the WM be overkill? also, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to skimmers. you simply cant over skim.

Because one the cpr is giving light bioloadrating and the H1 is stating the rates for high bioloads. BTW the H1 is rated for a 50 gallon high bioload system, not 40. The cpr has 80 lph of air and the H1 has more than 160 lph.

Yes, you can't overskim, but you can easily underskim a system especially if you tend to feed alot, overstock, and don't do enough water changes.

disaster999

not sure where you got your facts, but i took them directly from WM's website

HSeries-Chart-LB.gif

also, you are dealing with 2 pumps with the CPR instead of one for the WM. the WM draws more air meaning it is going to be more efficient in removing waste from the water. like i said, there is no such thing as over skimming. there are reports on reefkeeping.com stating no such thing as over skimming.

with them being similarly price, where the WM is more expensive by 30 bucks, i would go for the WM. ive seen CPR products and was not impress by the quality of their products. never owned any WM skimmers, but it seems their quality is better

Yes, you can't overskim, but you can easily underskim a system especially if you tend to feed alot, overstock, and don't do enough water changes.

so why are you pushing for the "weaker" skimmer

acropora1981
Warner Marine H1 is supposed to be amazing.

+1...

PS, CPR products are outdated and craptacular. I would never, EVER buy one again. They don't do a lot. The warner marine hang on's are serious skimmers, and you will not regret your purchase.

I cannot state more potently how much I want you to not buy CPR. Ive been doing this for 12 years, yes, 12 years, and I work as a marine biologist. Pretty pleases, with sugar on top, don't buy the damn CPR.

not sure where you got your facts, but i took them directly from WM's website

HSeries-Chart-LB.gif

also, you are dealing with 2 pumps with the CPR instead of one for the WM. the WM draws more air meaning it is going to be more efficient in removing waste from the water. like i said, there is no such thing as over skimming. there are reports on reefkeeping.com stating no such thing as over skimming.

with them being similarly price, where the WM is more expensive by 30 bucks, i would go for the WM. ive seen CPR products and was not impress by the quality of their products. never owned any WM skimmers, but it seems their quality is better

so why are you pushing for the "weaker" skimmer

I never said anything about overskimming. The WM H1 is a better unit, but the cpr aeroforce is not a bad skimmer either. It's actually the best skimmer that cpr has ever made in my opinion (this is not a junky bak pak). The CPR is (160.00 -179.99) about 45-60 dollars cheaper than the H1 (229.00). The better skimmer will give better performance if A: you have a heavy bioload, B: Feed heavy and C: Don't do the requiered amount of water changes. I have all the warner marine hob skimmers, plus the cpr. Tested on three different systems. The technical statements on that are wrong. Its designed for a 50 gallon system max bioload. Some companies bloat the specs and some companies give real numbers. Here you go!

Warner Marin H-1

version 2

Capacity 50 Gallons

7.75 x 3.75 x 18-20" Tall (Depending on cup height)

Sedra 2500 Needle Wheel Pump

3" Diameter Skimming Chamber

CNC machined Bubble Plate Chamber

New Adjustable Hanger Bracket fits up to 1.0" thick tank frames.

BTW...I'm not pushing anything, just offering other alternatives and insight. If it was my system I would go with either of the two due to the size of his tank.

You could go to aquatraders.com and buy a nock-off CPR for like 40$. From what i hear they are a good bang for your buck. I was thinking about getting one to replace my even crappier rio nano skimmer, but lo and behold it started working again.

+1...

PS, CPR products are outdated and craptacular. I would never, EVER buy one again. They don't do a lot. The warner marine hang on's are serious skimmers, and you will not regret your purchase.

I cannot state more potently how much I want you to not buy CPR. Ive been doing this for 12 years, yes, 12 years, and I work as a marine biologist. Pretty pleases, with sugar on top, don't buy the damn CPR.

Also this goes for you and the other reefer here...respectfully you should not be posting about skimmers that you have not owned. So please lets keep it real... Whether the TC picks a deltec, octopus sro, wm, or the cpr aeroforce. They are all good skimmers. Each one was designed for a different task (system capacity). If your going to keep a good amount of livestock it's always better to go with a better/bigger skimmer. It usually will pull out more/faster. If you get a skimmer too big for the system it will not develope the proper crown of skimmate in the neck.

You could go to aquatraders.com and buy a nock-off CPR for like 40$. From what i hear they are a good bang for your buck. I was thinking about getting one to replace my even crappier rio nano skimmer, but lo and behold it started working again.

Those are knock off cpr bak paks and I would not recommend it.

acropora1981
Also this goes for you and the other reefer here...respectfully you should not be posting about skimmers that you have not owned. So please lets keep it real... Whether the TC picks a deltec, octopus sro, wm, or the cpr aeroforce. They are all good skimmers. Each one was designed for a different task (system capacity). If your going to keep a good amount of livestock it's always better to go with a better/bigger skimmer. It usually will pull out more/faster. If you get a skimmer too big for the system it will not develope the proper crown of skimmate in the neck.

Those are knock off cpr bak paks and I would not recommend it.

Respectfully, I've had CPR's before, and they're poorly designed. They are not all good skimmers, IMO, hence my post.

Get the warner h1.

I am getting one of those.

I will provide my review later, it might be too late though.

Respectfully, I've had CPR's before, and they're poorly designed. They are not all good skimmers, IMO, hence my post.

Like I said the CPR bak paks models were/are poor skimmers, but with the exception of the CPR Aeroforce. Trust me, I thought that I was going to be disappointed when I purchased it, but It's really a nice skimmer that cpr brought out. It looks similar to the bak pak, but just a totally different animal. Hopefully they will eliminate the rectangular bodies and go with cylinders in the future.

Jon will be bringing out version 3 in a couple of months so you might want to hold off a bit.

The Eshopps is REALLY well built(looks strong and such, dunno how well it skims yet),

I have not been able to put it on the Dr's tank yet but when I do we can get some performance info on it.

This Friday I can put it(PSk100H) on,

with 150PPM+ nitrates, .5 PPM ammonia and such it should pull a lot of crap out.

We will see how well though.

I've been busy with a aquaponics seminar,

otherwise it would have been on this Monday.

The new run (version 3) should be soon. Jon Warner has some H1 version 2 demo units for sale at 180.00. All I know about the version 3 is that they will have a wider hanger 30mm versus 25 mm and some other small modifications as of now. I've asked Jon if any H3 (sedra 9000HO) would be coming out...I'm still waiting on the answer :)

The Eshopps is REALLY well built(looks strong and such, dunno how well it skims yet),

I have not been able to put it on the Dr's tank yet but when I do we can get some performance info on it.

This Friday I can put it(PSk100H) on,

with 150PPM+ nitrates, .5 PPM ammonia and such it should pull a lot of crap out.

We will see how well though.

I've been busy with a aquaponics seminar,

otherwise it would have been on this Monday.

You should be good JM! Nice seeing you here again. Hopefully everything is going well with the Dr.'s tank. God bless man!

The new run (version 3) should be soon. Jon Warner has some H1 version 2 demo units for sale at 180.00. All I know about the version 3 is that they will have a wider hanger 30mm versus 25 mm and some other small modifications as of now. I've asked Jon if any H3 (sedra 9000HO) would be coming out...I'm still waiting on the answer :)

You should be good JM! Nice seeing you here again. Hopefully everything is going well with the Dr.'s tank. God bless man!

I asked and he said he didn't have any of those left.

So are you sure the new one is worth it then?

I asked and he said he didn't have any of those left.

So are you sure the new one is worth it then?

Yes!!! Its the best skimmer at its capacity range, you can always go with the H2 too ;) I have two H2 and one H1 and they are the best skimmers for their capacity range. What size tank is this going on?

Archived