SaltCritters.com

Installing A Fan on my LED build Help!

Dwankmuller

Dwankmuller

Hey guys,

I recently made an LED light, and didnt add a fan...which was a bad idea haha. The thread is located here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234132

I have a meanwell LPC-35-700W driver and was curious where I could hook up a fan too. Can I just add it to the power cord? Or do I have to add it to the series of lights? I found a DC24V 0.17A fan at work, and was curious if I could use it. Or maybe just hook it up to an old cell phone charger? I read something about someone trying that too.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Dave

davidncbrown

You can't add it to the end output of the driver. You'll need a separate source for the fan. A 24V transformer, bridge rectifier and a filter cap will work. I'm not familiar with your driver, does it have AC input? If so you can connect the transformer to the same cord and put them both on the same switch.

You can probably run that 24vdc fan off a 12v wall wart type power supply. If you got a wall wart that says 12v upto 24v then it should run the fan. computer routers and wifi hubs are good for 12v+ power supplies. For that matter if you have a broken down computer anywhere there will be a 120mm 12vdc fan in it that you can run off 6v thru 12v power.

Archived