ReefCleaners.org

Red stuff on a rock?

Bill Nye

I am just setting up my tank and have this red blotchy thing on one of my rocks. It has small white "polyps" that extend out mostly during the day. They retract when I blow some water on it from my turkey baster. Any ideas?

IMG_0153.jpg

I am just setting up my tank and have this red blotchy thing on one of my rocks. It has small white "polyps" that extend out mostly during the day. They retract when I blow some water on it from my turkey baster. Any ideas?

IMG_0153.jpg

First, try out ur finger to rap it up. If they come out, it would be red slime algae. Is a good sign for ur new set up tank.

If u unable to rap it out from the live rock, it is coralline algae. Very beneficial for ur tank, keep it up and they will grow up a fantastic display. :happy:

mastahluong
exactly, so it should be coralline algae, don't worry Bill Nye~~~ :happy:

uh..... Coraline algae doesn't have polyps..

OP, I'm not sure what it is, does it move around any or does it just extend polyps?

looks like a sponge to me....

Hmmm. I actually just squirted it with the turkey baster and touched it and the white things did not move. I thought I had seen them move but I may have been wrong. It is firm but spongy a little bit to the touch. It is almost a translucent red/pink to the naked eye.

Looks like a hitchhiking coral, was the rock you purchased already cured?

According to the LFS I bought it from it was in fact cured live rock. She claimed it would not cycle but I have very large doubts about that haha. So far I have no algae bloom but its only been 5 days. I am waiting currently on an api test kit to get to my house...i bought the master but forgot to order the one with ph and whatnot lol.

I only have 4 lbs of live rock atm but am planning on adding dead rock that I am currently bleaching so that should not add to my current cycle from what ive been reading.

i've got a sponge in my tank that came in on a mushroom rock that looks exactly like that, spikes and all.

sweet thanks for the ID

Archived