Pod Your Reef

LEDs and coralline algae

ulver982

My LED tank has only been up a short time, but no Coralline growth whatsoever. SPS grows well enough and they need similar parameters. I remember hearing something about LED's giving wrong spectrum. Not sure.

Guess it also depends on whether or not the rock had Coralline on it in the first place... I have the 28g JBJ LED, rock I had was 2 years old with a good deal of coralline on it, and it's continuing to grow, albeit a nice red... Tanks only been up less than a month though, so FWIW YMMV...

Guess it also depends on whether or not the rock had Coralline on it in the first place... I have the 28g JBJ LED, rock I had was 2 years old with a good deal of coralline on it, and it's continuing to grow, albeit a nice red... Tanks only been up less than a month though, so FWIW YMMV...

That is true. I guess I'm assuming everything else is in check to grow coralline such as alk and calcium. Just wondering if switching to LEDs have hindered or stopped coralline growth. In my old 2.5 before I switched to LEDs I had some pretty good coralline starting to grow, but then I switched to LEDs and all my coralline on the walls of my tank went away. I know the initial switch from a lower to high intensity lights can have negative on the current coralline algae growing.

It was just weird that even after the tank got adjusted to the LEDs, I never had any coralline growth. Mind you, I never tested for calcium or alk, I just changed water 2x a week. I also had a heavy load of coral in the tank including SPS after I switched to LEDs and was using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt which already has a low alk (7 dkh) to begin with. So maybe the low alk hindered any coralline algae growth? I have since switched my 2.5 to a 7 gallon and using the LEDs from my 2.5 and also using Reef Crystals instead which has a high alk. I'm hoping I get tons of coralline growth despite the fact I'm using LEDs.

My current BC14 has always had LEDs. I have loads of new coralline growth.

edit:

I've given up on keeping the side glass clean of coralline right now given my aquascaping. I'm settling for keeping the front panel relatively clean of the purple stuff. I'm going to move everything over to a custom tank soon. The biocube cleanup job will be pretty epic.

i only been able to grow purple coral line...the other colors like green was overtaken by it...

my experience is that it grows algae and then coralline after the algae disappears.

Just curious, is anyone having successful coralline algae growth with LEDs?

I had coralline algae before I switched to LEDs a couple of months ago. I'm not using a lens to focus so the coralline really took off on the side walls. I'm running a 50/50 mix cool white and Royal Blue.

John

coleman4545

i already had coralline before i switched to leds in my bc 14 but it continues to spread in pink red and purple, but the pink has more or less turned to purple now

Never got much growing on the rockin any of my tanks, no matter the light source. I get plenty on the glass in my 40B with PAR38s.

Archived