inTank Media Baskets

How to choose the proper driver

stroebele

Can someone explain to me, or point me to a link that explains how to properly size drivers for an LED setup? I've found a number of threads with setups that are very similar to what I'm considering, so I know what size drivers will work, however I'm interested in knowing the method used to pick a proper driver. I found one post that implies a lower powered driver (750mA) doesn't run as hot a a higher powered driver (1000mA). This makes sense to me, but are you trading off light for the cooler running driver? How many lights can I put on a single driver? Some setups I've seen have 6 lights per driver, I've seen others with as many as 18 is one setup over kill or is the other skimping? I have the feeling neither is the case, but how does one know? Is there a formula to figure the needed size?

Thanks!

each driver has a maximum voltage, take all the leds you are using and add thier forward voltages together

so for a meanwell, you can run 12 leds, on the 48v model, you could actually run 13 theoretically

for a buckpuck, get a 24v power supply to run 6 total.

each driver has a maximum voltage, take all the leds you are using and add thier forward voltages together

so for a meanwell, you can run 12 leds, on the 48v model, you could actually run 13 theoretically

for a buckpuck, get a 24v power supply to run 6 total.

I guess I'm still not clear, looking at a 350mA buck puck it says max output voltage of 32V the same as the 1000mA buck puck. This would mean I could run 8 LEDs off either one assuming ~4V forward voltage on each lamp. The the literature says I can run 18 1W lamps off the 1000mA buckpuck and 6 off the 350mA. Is it really just as simple as adding up the voltage, it doesn't seem like it, maybe I'm missing something.

I guess I'm still not clear, looking at a 350mA buck puck it says max output voltage of 32V the same as the 1000mA buck puck. This would mean I could run 8 LEDs off either one assuming ~4V forward voltage on each lamp. The the literature says I can run 18 1W lamps off the 1000mA buckpuck and 6 off the 350mA. Is it really just as simple as adding up the voltage, it doesn't seem like it, maybe I'm missing something.

The 3 w leds are standardized to run at 350mA but they can be "overdriven" up to 1000mA. It's not triple the par

value though...more like double the output. But I've also read that the Royal blues don't put out much more par

at 1000mA then they do at 750, so people just run them at that amperage. (I think....)

DougN

you shouldnt run more than 6 leds off of a buckpuck, running in parallel is also generally frowned upon.

if you ran the 18 you would run 3 rows of series in parallel. not generally suggested.

just think about it like this 6 per buckpuck 12 per meanwell. dont worry about the 32v max, because its 24w max too

Archived